What Did Ya'll Have For Dinner Tonight?

Haha, Jimbo ifin I have a decent harvest of sockeye this year I'm going to send you some. Return forecast is dismal unfortunately. Let's hope they have that wrong.

Yes, they are returning to the various river systems to spawn. The Stikine river supports runs of all the 5 salmon species. There are a lot of things that affect the returns and it's hard to pin it on any one thing. Conditions such as ocean survival, over fishing, warm water "blobs" on the outside waters etc. all have some sort of influence.

Yeah, in some cases that seems likely to contribute as well. Some areas have increasing populations of stellar sea lions yet other areas they are declining.

Loves me some gator. Used to get it in Jambalaya from a joint in NYC 30+ yrs ago, then we had a fish joint about 30 mins away that had gator sausage in some of their recipes, and the infrequent gator filets, which they sold in the fish shoppe in the back. They burned down 15 yrs ago and never came back. I've got an exotic meat and snack joint near my brother's yard (and one of the liquor stores I get my exotic brews from), so I'll get sausage from there. Unfortunately, more pork than gator, but it's spiced up, so real good.

New potatoes, grilled asparageese ( That being the plural of asparagus............right?) and cowboy caviar.

Made me think of something.
I don't recall running across white asparagus in the US.
Is that primarily a Thing in Europe?

The Germans go nuts over it in the short season.
Asparagus festivals and stuff.
I've often thought about going down for it, but they have a tendency to wrap them in slices of dead pig.

I love them, and will buy them when I find good ones.

Soup, risotto or just cooked with a dab of butter as a side dish.

Not surpricingly, the wine that pairs best with them is a bone dry, stony German Riesling.

Same as the green ones, yes.
Do you know that only half of us are genetically engineered to be able to smell them?

Jim, I buy olive oil , olives and stuff from a small company in Portugal.
Just ordered some, and because of your Sardine orgasm, I ordered an assortment of sardines as well.
Be a while before they get to you, first they have to travel from Portugal to Denmark, then to Montana.
Probably make it in time for xmas.
Ever had any Bacalao?
I ordered a tin of that, too.

I'd be interested in knowing your potato salad recipe, Stephen.

I dont really have a written recipe.
But mine includes bacon. You would have to omit that. Very little mustard. Hand full of hard boiled eggs. Potatoes Boiled to al dente, not mushy skin on. Red onion, yellow and red bell peppers, celery diced 1/8" (uncooked). Celery seed, garlic, black pepper, granulated onion, salt to taste. Fresh dill, only as a back ground finely chopped. Mayo, sour cream till moist not runny. One pound of bacon cooked crisp btw. :/:.
This made ( with like 7lbs of potatoes) 5 liters i would guess.
I like to blend my seasonings so no one of them stands out, but you recognize some of what might be in there.
As far as chopped veggies. Eye ball about a cup each approx.

Last edited: