What Do You Field Guys Do For Lunch?

i worked for some time with a crew of Mexicans they would heat up burritos or tamales on the engine block of the bucket truck. they brought their lunch together, it was not every man for themselves.

I eat what’s available. Some days it’s leftovers, some days it’s sammiches, and some days it’s nothing. I prefer to eat light and often in the heat though. A lot of fruit and veggies with a can of tuna or chicken if I have no other protein that day. Lots of water. Maybe a sugar free Gatorade or two. I know when it’s time to eat. I’ll get a headache if I don’t. A machine requires fuel and

As a last resort, I'll pack a single use cooler for the day, with non microwavable stuff. If there's a microwave, leftovers. I eat out quite often, lunch is often the highlight of my day, so it's worth it to me. I also enjoy cooking and eating as a crew, honestly that's my favourite.

Some of the very best ever field guy lunches I ever enjoyed, was being invited into the fold to share the communal midday meal that were common with my contract tree planting crews. Hispanic crews, of course.

I know from conversations with other white USFS tree planting contract COR's and inspectors, that I was receiving pretty unusual privilege in those invitations.

There's a lesson in this little story that goes way beyond field lunch practices, my friends :D...

if you are fair in how you administer your power, and pay proper respect to brown folks who are not accustomed to getting the same from the white people who generally run the show...that makes you special in their eyes. It's some bit sad that's the case, but 'tis true.

And if you can find that path...my word; those crews would move heaven and earth to do their job just exactly as you wish it done, right down to the tiniest detail.

It's all about respect, and it passes both ways.

Last edited:
I used to love breaking bread with some of the workers my bio father had. And some of his students. He treated them well, and we were treated and respected inkind. Some of the best over the boarder meals i ever had.

My brother-in-law worked with some Mexicans years ago...got quite close to them, in fact...to the point they invited him home with them to eat. He learned some of their recipes/customs. He’d invite us over for “authentic” tacos. It was amazing. They cook quite a bit differently than we do.

Back