supervisor/climber needed in south florida

• Thread starter robdog
  • Start date
  • Replies 175
  • Views 15K
You don't get to be able to jump up on roof tops by sitting in front of the tube on the sofa eating potato chips.

Just saw this thread.

15/hour. I don't think that would cover my life's nut.

I worked for 25/hour and was 1099'd after the whole year, I wasn't a Licensed C yet.
I also had the 10% which was cool.
It definetly adds incentive.

Rob, If you want to set up a technical rigging pine wreck from over someone's house and walk away ,
knowing it's all good and clean by end of the day,
I bet you'd pay more.

Yes, FLORIDA weeds the wheat from the chaff.
It's really all about pace, hydration and shade if you hope to live.
It's evil out there.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I am flexible for the right man

I dont think you guys get this.The money is flexible..$15 to start and 10% sales on confirmed contracts is good money for a trusted foreman.After the first couple of weeks when we can trust each other the hourly rate probably goers up to $20 .....

The work schedule is monday tuesday wed off thrush and friday...weekends off .this is the crew work schedule....sales is all week . The foreman/salesman needs a big rake or maybe a leaf blower to corral his Jack! is broward that hard? I hear the trees are small....certainly not 125' ponderosas.

Hurry up guys. He has qualified candidates lining up around the corner.

At the local steel mill the electricians for the furnace make about $14-16 an hour + weekly production bonus.

Making $20 an hour + 10% and guaranteed 40+ hours a week doesn't seem terrible. That's 800 a week before the 10%. 10% should add at least another $300 during the slow times, more like $5-600 in normal times and more in busy times of course.

I don't know about costs of living, but $1100-1400 a week doesn't seem terrible by my local standards.

Making $20 an hour + 10% and guaranteed 40+ hours a week doesn't seem terrible. That's 800 a week before the 10%. 10% should add at least another $300 during the slow times, more like $5-600 in normal times and more in busy times of course.

I don't know about costs of living, but $1100-1400 a week doesn't seem terrible by my local standards.

Uh, taxes?:? social security?:?

$1100 x 50 weeks= $55k+ a year. $1100 x.7= $770 a week.

I can live on $770+ a week, $3200 a month. That's basically $40k+ a year take home pay.

The average homeowner's home is $128k, median household income is $43k and $23k per capita. He's offering a job that brings home about 2.5x the average person's income.

If the work is like he says it is, it doesn't seem unreasonble that the crew could gross $300k a year or better. That'd have his top man bringing home $56k working 50 hours a week.

Frig it. I am heading to Broward County. $10.00/hour and a tent is all I need to exist.

I could too if I was young and lived with my parents.:P

:lol:

Or if you married a doctor.

I must be dense. $20 an hour, 8 hours a day + 10% of $1k would be $32.50 an hour, which doesn't seem UNFAIR to me.

I'm not going to do it, obviously, but I don't see how he's shafting his foreman.

you need parolee's..............
everybody's gettin spoiled and worth top dollar, some are some aren't, find the ones that are worthy, and pay what you can
good luck in your search

shall not should

remember those words for the arborist exam? well I "shall" do tree work whatever it takes in Broward county......
hope to hear from you all form nov23 to dec 5th.....www.wildernesstree.com florida

Managing 3 distant locations, even peripherally, is way ambitious.
I like the basic gist of your plan, Rob. Not a bad way to have 3 homes in 3 different locales.
Hope you find the right candidate.
To me it isn't so much about wages as much as finding the right person. Asking a full time working foreman to be responsible for sales = 12 hour days on a swing shift (most sales are evenings). Even if the "laboring" end of it is light-duty, you've still gotta be there nearly every minute or the cell phones come out.
I've never gotten past being on site. It's really hard to find quality people.
Best o' luck... and keep us posted, ey ?

will do

I realize the ambition is not likely in most cases.The years of doing this that I have piled up make me ambitious.The fact that the money will be free and clear of any expenses that I have on my main location makes it just that much more desirable. a two man crew makeing about 3k a week before expenses is really good enough to pay two great employees and have about 50% of the money free and clear. Think of spending time in that area,and other nice places in florida at the time of the year I want to be there. dreaming? hopefully not .At first I just have to spend time there and get it going.

Are you sure you've thought this through, Robdog? It seems to me you don't know what it costs to run a tree crew, even though you claim to have years of experience. Here are some quick weekly numbers I came up with. Do these sound reasonable?
Payroll for two employees - 1200.00
Withholding - 300.00
Worker's Comp - 450.00
Liability Ins - 50.00
Truck & Chipper payments - 500.00
Fuel - 100.00
Maintenance - 50.00
Advertising - 100.00
Property & Office rent - 100.00
Telephone - 25.00
Utilities - 25.00
Miscellaneous - 100.00

I"m sure I've left out a few things, but my point is that your expenses will quickly and easily top $3,000.00 per week.
With the state of the economy and you're being the new guy in town with no client base and no referrals, I just don't see this as a viable business venture. Also, November through March is the slow season here in Florida.

I think you are light on fuel Brett.

Robdog sure seems to have some wierd accounting idea's.

Back