A big tree fell in Pennsylvania

Wow, very sad. 1682’ that is just amazing.

Have they removed it? Will they try and stand it up? Would the tree live? What do you think, remove or stand it up?

Last edited:
I’m no tree expert but that pavement may have contributed to its demise.

Probably a removal. Maybe they will get a park bench made from its wood if there is any solid wood in there.

That's too bad. The tree looks pretty green in the pic, but it's sheared off at the roots. Natural causes or disease?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I half remember a discussion of if normal insurance pays for removal if it is not on a structure? This would probably be an expensive project!

Looks like quite a well used site. Compaction in conjunction with something like ganoderma are fatal for such a veteran tree.

I presume it was not evident as the remedial root and crown works are not visible.

I half remember a discussion of if normal insurance pays for removal if it is not on a structure? This would probably be an expensive project!
Insurance wouldn’t pay for this. They only pay to remove trees from insured structures or vehicles. Really, they are obligated to make the structure or vehicle whole and in order to do that, the tree must be removed. So, the tree removal is more of a “side effect”

Insurance would if it covered by your policy. You can insure anything as long as you pay them too. Jlo can insure her posterior for a million $ but she is paying for it up front. (git your mind out of the gutter)

The memorial service for one of the first tree men I climbed with/for was held at the West Grove Meetinghouse not far from the London Grove Meetinghouse. So far it’s majestic oak still stands.

Dave Macleod - Treeman

The London Grove oak near Kennett Square was an epic tree.

The losses of the Wye Oak and the Sweetman Oak before it sadly seem to show that the William Penn Oaks (300 to 400 years old) are at that age where they are succumbing. They all were receiving care up to when they fell.

It makes me think that the 800 to 1200 year old oaks, like those in. Sherwood Forest and other sites in England are either sturdier stock, benefit from the typical British soupy weather, or are less likely to fall due to preemptive reduction cuts.

The Quakers planted a lot of oaks. The Maryland state champion I have helped to maintain is also at a small Quaker Meetinghouse. Mike and John have climbed it with me.
There is little encroachment around it, and seldom impactful activity under it, but there is also evidence that it is hollow.

I need to find an outfit who can do a sonic tomography profile of it (gratis, as neither I nor the few remaining members of the meeting can afford it).

IMG_7489.jpeg

There us a huge difference between an Oak in a forest setting,sheltered by other trees, and one that has been set aside as a single , memorial tree.
The old oaks in England, and here for that matter, grew up as part fo a forest canopy and stayed that way.
The ones here survived because the terrain made logging impossible back in 1806 when the English stole our naval fleet and the whole country started growing oaks, so we could build a new one and get revenge.
Took about...............hold your breath..........................1500 mature oaks to build a frigate, before they were iron-clad.

By the times the "Naval oaks" were mature, ships were buillt of iron.

Back