supervisor/climber needed in south florida

• Thread starter robdog
  • Start date
  • Replies 175
  • Views 15K
No risk last time I relocated and opened a "small" branch office I had a 40K salary, all expenses paid plus a 10 percent commish. No Risk. Climbing is risk and at a minimum of say your example of a 4k sold week ... Climber / foreman/sales/office manager if averages 4k per week of work sold makes 52,000 per year gross. nothing to sneeze at.. but I bet I could make more at asplunde or a power company.. Ohhh wait.. At the power company as a line man I would make about 100,000 a year gross and not have to manage people.. hmmmm

Asplund here doesn't pay for chit. Climbers top out around $15, best I can tell. One dude I know is a forman, climber, crew leader, ect and I don't believe he makes over $18 an hour.

No risk last time I relocated and opened a "small" branch office I had a 40K salary, all expenses paid plus a 10 percent commish. No Risk. Climbing is risk and at a minimum of say your example of a 4k sold week ... Climber / foreman/sales/office manager if averages 4k per week of work sold makes 52,000 per year gross. nothing to sneeze at.. but I bet I could make more at asplunde or a power company.. Ohhh wait.. At the power company as a line man I would make about 100,000 a year gross and not have to manage people.. hmmmm

100k at Asphlund?

Yeah right!

Well I guess that's why most tree guys are self employed. There's just not enough money in it to pay employees well. In order to make a decent living you gotta be the one setting the prices. And Florida isn't a high paying area anyway. I've lived here all my life and I haven't met too many guys making over $20 per hour climbing as an employee. Everybody around here subs/ freelances due to the farked up WC laws (your prices would have to double to cover climbers under WC and then you'd have no business). Good freelance climbers make $200-$300 per day but they have to pay all their own expenses out of that.

It's rather sad that Deva can make more money working for the State parks department out in Cali than I can make working for myself here in FL. :( The dollars just aren't available here.

10% of a 2 man crew? you paying overtime? thats gonna eat you up to pay a guy to supervise, bid etc and give him 10%off the top. if you can make that work id pay for your bid secrets!

Willie, if he's only paying his foreman 600-800 a week, then that 400 extra is easy to account for. Add, say 500 for a groundie, and he's at 40% of gross income, which is about right....but, that said, $4k a week is chicken feed......we'd do that in three days easy with a 2 man crew.

I figure 50% of gross, 10% for bidding, 40% for the crew.....I'm part of the crew and do most all the bidding....and actually often go above those figures when accounting for the pay my two top guys get. Dave is now a licensed sub, so he gets 300-450 a day, Mickey 250-350 as a top climber who even does a lot of grounding when Dave or I are climbing--unless he's slacking off as he sometimes does, then he's at maybe $200.

So, if you figure $300 for me, on a $2200 4 man day, that's about $1100-1250 for the crew....which is kinda high, but all my gear is paid for, have low insurance costs, no shop rental or office staff. Only large expense besides fuel is advertising...too much going out this year...but we often take in more than that on a good big day.

...we'd do that in three days easy with a 2 man crew...

Then you factor in that you live in Seattle where the average home is near $600k and the cost of living is an extra 32% over the national average.

Daniel (now very limited use) makes $15 an hour here as a groundy. The Asplund top climbers barely make that with 5 years in.

It's closer to 350-400k, and dropping....but less fast than many areas......

There's a lot of companies here that don't pay very well......

One benny is our workman's comp...it's about $2.20 per hr, base rate! That's 6-12%..as I rarely pay less than $18 per hr for a greenhorn/ temp laborer.

WC runs 50-60% here last I heard. Last time I was covered under WC about 10 years ago the rates were about 38% where I worked. If it were only $2.20 per hour here then everybody would have it.

WC was 33% in 05, 38% in 06 and they were going to make it 46% for 07 when I dropped it. I bet it went up again for 08 and now we're in the 09 year.

Yeah... workers comp in the south east sucks. The most common rate I found in North Carolina was 44% of payroll.

All the high W/C cost's only force the business owner to cheat more to make a living...........

Here tree folks are in the assigned risk pool, thus shopping around does little good as every company has to charge the same rate.

There is no shopping around in NY.

State fund is the only one who will write it.

WC runs 50-60% here last I heard. Last time I was covered under WC about 10 years ago the rates were about 38% where I worked. If it were only $2.20 per hour here then everybody would have it.

Isn't it odd that comp rates are astronomical in the states that mandate it? Mass is a mess. Last I checked logging up here was 62%. Luckily I have no employees, so I can exempt myself. Lot of money to be made in legitimate subbing when the cash isn't running up to the state capital.

Isn't it odd that comp rates are astronomical in the states that mandate it? Mass is a mess. Last I checked logging up here was 62%. Luckily I have no employees, so I can exempt myself. Lot of money to be made in legitimate subbing when the cash isn't running up to the state capital.

8)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
rate of pay

Like I said I am doing this regardless of situation.The crew price is for only two guys.every buisness has their own situations.I have my expenses for most of my bills taken care of on other crews in california.Any Money I clear in florida is cake to me. The expenses will be lower in florida since It is not mandatry to even have a state contractors license or buisness address there.My location in cali will be enough.The workers comp I am not sure of yet. The foreman who signs on will just about make is own fair salary..upon meeting my standards of trust.Any time a crew starts up and the owner is in another state he has to have somene he can trust and will pay more for a trusted climber/foreman.So the money is open within reason.I am generous with people I can trust.It looks like this is not the place to even mention it since no one has called or willing to be part of it .Just think of haveing 5 or 6 two many crews in different locations makeing money,not maybe alot but a decent amount so that the crew is happy and I make something enough to pay expences and maybe buy a house in those locations.Doing it already in san bernadino mts,high desert and huntington beach....florida next? Yes for sure 7605787971........ here is to doing it for the fun and the money!

Back