hinge pics

If you look closely, the hinge is the exact thickness all the way across.
The face and backcuts are both crooked in the same way in the far corner.
Looks fantastic, till you realize it is a sign of not enough experience with cutting from 2 sides.

Just me doing a Murphy...................................sorry!

Still not getting the joke?
But then you are rather dense.

That brings up the question of do you know how to turn a top to land perpendicular to the direction it started falling. I have watched a couple climbers (Pat and Big John) do it by hand that were really good at turning pretty big tops. I've only tried it a couple of times with limited success, but I understand the theory.
I’m only concerned with getting the top to land in the dump trailer...already cut up and densely packed...😆

well then post up some more hinge pics... ;)

Flush can you fill us in on more details about the cut? Looks like the houses were kind of close.. was that the whole top, or just a chunk of wood? If that's more than a 12" cut there had to be a good bit of top there...
Ok where to begin? The tree was about 70'ish skinny maybe 16" on the stump with a slight lean to the left. If it didn't have the lean I could have dumped the whole ting. Wires on the street side, house to the right and left, wind blowing in my favor away from the wires. Saw was a Nutball modded 2511 12" bar. If you look at the far corner on the undercut side you can see the curve of the bar tip. Top was about 15' long and I needed it to land in a 12' wide opening in the fence from about 55'ish. Dead nuts drop in the hole. The far corner was nipped to make sure I had it cut up and not leave any extra holding wood as the fence headed back to the street and it could not pull right as the fence would be scrap metal. Cnunked in a couple if 8'ers and flopped the log. Collect check. No stump grinding no clean up.

It all depends on what. My last one didn't impress me by its flexing ability. Holding force, sure, but after a small angle of move, just "pop".

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I've seen that happen as well.. but more often seen fat hinges hold well... MUCH MORE OFTEN. honestly I haven't been able to identify the factors at play that makes the fat hinge unreliable. Once the factors are figured out it no longer becomes unreliable, just more complex factors to consider

in rethinking the issue.. two factors come to mind, stump shot and height of the front of hinge fibers.. It makes sense that stump shot could be problematic on fat hinges and that using a plate cut, sizwheel or other cut to add some height to the front of the hinge wouold help.

first, second, third... stone dead ash.. the third had way more holding power than I would have expected... the thing came right over a significant back lean, and leaned another 25 plus degrees to the lay and just stopped

laid everything right on the driveway. was able to use the tree in the backyard for padding 20211001_125451.jpg 20211001_130325.jpg 20211001_132030.jpg 20211001_132041.jpg

Where are Rico, Stig, and Burnham to tell me I can't cut a decent notch... haha stuck in their little boxes, when its not the notch that counts.. its the hinge! my hinges have big balls

look like a little bypass in the face.. otherwise to me that stump is a thing of beauty
Yep a little bypass. The hinge chunk closest in the pic is easily a foot square and mostly rotten. Near perfect line angles to pull with wide open LZ once it overcame the lean. Far side of the hinge was sound and where I finished the backcut, wider than normal notch, for me anyways.

Where are Rico, Stig, and Burnham to tell me I can't cut a decent notch... haha stuck in their little boxes, when its not the notch that counts.. its the hinge! my hinges have big balls

I have you on ignore, Danny boy.
Someone alerted me to this.

Great saw control the way you cut into the stem behind the one you were falling, because you had no idea where your bar tip was.
I'd lay into my apprentice for sloppy work like that.

Now Stig, that one comes out too! He wasn’t asking for critique! He wanted a blue ribbon. Gee, you’d sour a glass of fresh milk! 😝

Last edited:
I’m sure Murph will accept your handwritten apology, assuming you write it in English and don’t use any big words...

I have you on ignore, Danny boy.
Someone alerted me to this.

Great saw control the way you cut into the stem behind the one you were falling, because you had no idea where your bar tip was.
I'd lay into my apprentice for sloppy work like that.
exactly what I'm talking about...

you see the hinges... plenty of holding power

and then you criticize some scratched bark that had zero chance of effecting the next hinge.

I call that stuck in a box...

look at the pitiful straight hinges with almost no whiskers posted by others... you think those are good hinges? they have nearly no holding ability. you guys don't get it.

Back