Bypassing the hinge.

This is what I love about only working with people, who have apprenticed with me.
Trained from scratch over a 3½ year period, they are like little copies of me, workwise.

( Except of course, nowhere near as good ;))

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
@stig thats great. My other two guys that I've been around the last two years are just like that. I don't like to belittle people if I don't have to. This morning I tactfully changed something for the better.

It was a long night of thought.

That's a huge first step man. The other tips of not assigning a job you wouldn't do yourself, and be seen doing the worst shitty work there is so your guys don't have to always (you are one of them in the trenches, not a suit) and your guys will follow you to hell and back. You're all over it man!

@stig I don't like to belittle people if I don't have to. This morning I tactfully changed something for the better.

It was a long night of thought.

That is a large part of training apprentices.
I have a reputation of being VERY hard on them ( I've heard that from the school), but on the other hand, once when I was a bit down, my poartner, Richard, cheered me up by listing all the peole, who have found a niche for themselves in the trees, because I have been there to teach them.

But as unforgiving that I am with sloppy work ( hence my hatred of Murphy, who promoted it) as generous I am with: " good job, well done".

We gave our present apprentice a pair of caulk boots for x-mas.
Ordered to fit from Idaho.
He knows damned well, that he'll be one of a select few in Denmark, who even know about them.
Hopefully that makes him feel like he has passed the test, along with the $10/hr raise in pay when he logs.

My nephew put an end of the lowering rope through the chipper this morning, stopped it seconds before the steel carabiner hit the rollers/blades.
I called him a dozy ****. Did I do wrong?

Consequences should dictate the amount of ass chewing. Folding a set of blueprints stupidly carries fewer consequences than running a rope through the chipper. That ass chewing should make a memorable impression.

I feel like there definitely is a time and a place to be hard on folks. I felt this wasn't one of them. I guess I'm just wired differently. My guys go where I go. I definitely know they have my back. I believe I gained respect for the way I chose to handle my issues. Seems like it at least.

In tree, while waiting for ground control to recover.......
On small upright 'saplings' in tree and later on the ground
Can face with chain or handsaw and back cut with handsaw.
Get lots of close visuals on Dutchman pushes and tapered pulls at different angles of 'lean' imposed by hand pull or push, changing that angle etc. Even pull/push face back open and re-work face etc. Things to same scenario could never get 2nd comparison check from at full scale.
But even this small HO scale model has same principles to show. Like bypassing cuts, different angles of pull on one sided ballasts of Tapered Hinge or Step Dutchman, pulling into or away from cross axis of the adjustment. But, even more, can FEEL , build a feel for what is going on, that for me flowed into felling and rigging. But, was already pre-set to read thru body from gymnastics etc. If can feel bypass seize from horizontal bypass, becomes lot less arguable that there is no effect...

Well done to you Dan, the night of thinking about how to handle stuff I can identify with!
I really wasn't trying to be dopey with the spell check...but I just couldn't resist

This is a very cool thread. And as said above, that was a very creative and apparently effective way to address the issue, Dan. Hats off, sir.

Even though this isn't part of Dan's "Role Changing" thread, it is clearly a key component of it. And it reminds me of how, over the years here at TH, other very cool threads that happened in 'real time' of guys not being happy with where they were and their discussing it here on the House and how they morphed into greater things. Dan was happy in his former role but he was unsure about the upgrade, and sure enough, things seem to be progressing well so far. Nick B was unhappy with the cowboys he worked with and ended up becoming GM of Treestuff. Jed was underappreciated and unsatisfied with his former position and he upgraded very well. Other names re similar circumstances escape me ATM, but yeah, TreeHouse rocks.

@Bermy all is good ma'am. I would rather be checked like that so I don't come off as an idiot.

@cory I have been here at the TH before, and you guys have always been very awesome. I have always had positive feed back. Also I have had the pleasure of many different opinions. Y'all put it out there and it makes sense or it doesn't. It helps make the big picture a little easier to see.

All in all I am so happy to be back talking with y'all. It really helped me to stop and vent my concerns here. Rather then just going off half cocked on someone. High five folks.

Last edited:
Dan, I'm glad this is working it's way out for the better. Always good to emphasize the "why" when explaining our concerns or when we are in "teaching" moments.

Breaking Bad wherever we go like Bermy said:

51JCRH5bb1L._SX361_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

(it's all good man)

Regarding the original post...

Does he make the level or sloping cut first? When making the level cut first, it’s easier to misalign the too cut and not have them meet as cleanly.

@treesmith the bottom cut first, but 4 to 5 inches past where he ended the top cut. At one point it looked like a snap cut with a little hinge piece.

I always make the level cut first. I remember this topic being discussed a while back and I think it was close to 50/50, with no real closure that one way was better than the other.
It’s just how I was trained I guess, never been a problem.

The horizontal bypass to make an inner face within the main face is most problematic.
The close is down the rigidity of the fibers as columns, like a normal close; only very early, usually before fully committed.
Bypass horizontal passed vertical and get close of face within face, but across the fiber columns, like usually flexes in hinging.
HingeFiber_2_bypass.png

The full face stop w/o relief to the charging freight train of force of the horizontal bypass full across can give Dutchman
>> sounds like might be 'chasing it off stump' by cutting thru hinge to avoid Dutchman?
Whatever tension hangs on longest tree will try to pull CoG towards.
If hit shed, the balance of forces commanded it to.
If no surprises of wind or defect, man w/saw mechanically commanded the outcome in cuts to the release and guiding of safely standing loaded force and reach.

Back