hinge pics

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I stand by my previous post. Enough said.
That's not standing.. standing is making an articulable comment, argument, or criticism that can actually offer some insight or distinctions that others might learn from. What you did is throw some mud and run and hide... that's your MO. You don't engage on the merits or detriments of the cuts shown. That's weak.. that's you!

It ALWAYS goes like this.
Murphy posts pictures of something that to him is completely "out of the box" and really shows his extreme skill level.
The rest of us idiots fail to see his greatness and he turns nasty.
Every time!

There was nothing especially difficult about that drop. I never said there was. The only extraordinary thing that I mentioned was the holding ability of the last hinge in dead ash... it's the comments by Stig and others that show their in-the-box thinking.

I was not the one calling everyone a bunch of idiots.
Guess I'm too stuck in the box for that kind of stuff.

I thought “holding power” was relative to the situation at hand. If it’s all about thick, jagged, torn hinges, I guess I’m a novice. If it’s true holding power I need, I’ll trust a well-set rope over a hinge any day.
When I say a bunch of idiots.. this is the sort of thing I'm talking about... trusting a well set rope over a hinge... who would make a comment like that... Rope goes slack as soon as the tree picks up speed, which happens quickly... once that rope goes slack the only holding power is in the hinge. It's not one over the other.. it's both working together. Rope or not, if side lean is involved.. you need a good hinge

I’m not a bit surprised that my comment went over your head. If it’s HOLDING POWER I need, I set a 5/8” or 3/4” line to HOLD it. It doesn’t go slack as soon as the tree moves. Rather it is set somewhat perpendicularly to the trees intended lay to HOLD it all the way. I set guy lines quite often, as the trees I’m cutting are dead, compromised, or hollow, and the rope does the job WITHOUT relying on the hinge. I shouldn’t be letting you in on how real tree folks do it but there you have it.

I’m not a bit surprised that my comment went over your head. If it’s HOLDING POWER I need, I set a 5/8” or 3/4” line to HOLD it. It doesn’t go slack as soon as the tree moves. Rather it is set somewhat perpendicularly to the trees intended lay to HOLD it all the way. I set guy lines quite often, as the trees I’m cutting are dead, compromised, or hollow, and the rope does the job WITHOUT relying on the hinge. I shouldn’t be letting you in on how real tree folks do it but there you have it.
i was the first person to show that technique on youtube.. 2010

hardly over my head.. you could have simply have added one word to make it clear

What word would that be? I don’t base someone’s ability on their YouTube vids. Believe it or not, folks were doing lots of stuff before YouTube was ever thought of.

I saw a YouTube vid while ago of a guy showing how to cut a tree branch 20’ in the air with one of those chain saw cords. I guess he’ll show up here next, claiming he thought that up. YouTube-certified!

Last edited:
That's not standing.. standing is making an articulable comment, argument, or criticism that can actually offer some insight or distinctions that others might learn from. What you did is throw some mud and run and hide... that's your MO. You . That's weak.. that's you!
You know @murphy4trees...it is a very curious thing, that you go out of your way to beg me to comment on your work, while holding my experience, knowledge, and skills in such disregard.

Why do you do that?

Also, perhaps you have failed to notice that it is only you with whom I "don't engage on the merits or detriments of the cuts shown". That is because it is a pointless exercise, a waste of my time, to try to have any sort of coherent back and forth with you.

It took me far too long to learn this lesson, but I have it firmly in hand now.

Last edited:
So you’re NOT going to Pennsylvania for Murph’s next seminar? Gee, Burnham! Between you and Stig, you’re gonna wreck his show!!!

Last edited:
He's angling for a Burnham sticker. Not only do they made APTAs shoot farther, they level saws, and smooth cuts.

treesmith said:
I thought “holding power” was relative to the situation at hand. If it’s all about thick, jagged, torn hinges, I guess I’m a novice. If it’s true holding power I need, I’ll trust a well-set rope over a hinge any day.

What word would that be?

If you meant to say that you trust a retainer line also called a guy line, then either word would have made that clear. If you don't understand that those big torn fibers clearly indicate the excellent holding ability of the hinge then you do have alot o learn. So do all the others here talking about elegant thin straight hinges etc... Even if you meant you trust a retainer line over a hinge, that's another silly statement.. A good hinge always comes first.. with it you don't need to set a retainer line. And many situations do not afford the opportunity to set one. So ya.. a bunch of idiots.. with Stig leading the way for suggesting that the bar tip hitting the second stem makes a difference ...

Last edited:
I was waiting for you to chime in B... what do you think of those hinges? two swing Dutchman and a fatboy, with lots of big fiber, pulled fairly evenly across the hinge...
You know @murphy4trees...it is a very curious thing, that you go out of your way to beg me to comment on your work,

You are completely FOS.... asking a simple question isn't begging and writing one line isn't going out of my way...

Really? Out of all the possible members here that you might address by name, you specifically ask me for comment.

Daniel, you truly are a mixed up human being...you obviously cannot even begin to see the craziness you carry around, and express frequently for all of us to see. The tree work aspect of it is not even close to the full picture.

I take no glee in that. I wish for you a future with better mental health.

Last edited:
If you want to discuss the properties and functions of those hinges, I'd like to hear your thoughts... as far as the personal judgments... I couldn't care less.

treesmith said:

If you meant to say that you trust a retainer line also called a guy line, then either word would have made that clear. If you don't understand that those big torn fibers clearly indicate the excellent holding ability of the hinge then you do have alot o learn. So do all the others here talking about elegant thin straight hinges etc... Even if you meant you trust a retainer line over a hinge, that's another silly statement.. A good hinge always comes first.. with it you don't need to set a retainer line. And many situations do not afford the opportunity to set one. So ya.. a bunch of idiots.. with Stig leading the way for suggesting that the bar tip hitting the second stem makes a difference ...
My deepest apologies and condolences! For one so fluent in hingery, your reading comprehension seems sadly lacking. We were discussing hinges and holding power. I assumed (my bad!), that you had a basic grasp of English. HOLDING power and PULLING power are two entirely different things. You don’t PULL a tree with a hinge. It only holds/guides. I have cut countless trees that, had I trusted hinge alone, I’d have had trees on houses. Dead/hollow/compromised trees don’t allow for reliable hinges.

Where are Rico, Stig, and Burnham to tell me I can't cut a decent notch... haha stuck in their little boxes, when its not the notch that counts.. its the hinge! my hinges have big balls

Nope, not bragging or grandstanding at all.

As for decent notch, look at the one that has been cut off and lies on the ground.
Stellar work, indeed.
A demented beaver on mushrooms could have done better.

"and then you criticize some scratched bark that had zero chance of effecting the next hinge. "

As for that, I never said it mattered to the outcome of the falling, I simply said it was shoddy work, by someone who has no idea where his bar tip is.

That Danny boy, is you to a T.
Someone who does shoddy work, because he has never cared to learn how to sharpen and use the primary tool of treework.

All of your incredible, fantastic, beyond the ken of us mere humans, treework is like a house carpenter who designs and puts in a kitchen, which ends up looking like shit, because he hasn't mastered the basics of the trade and can't get his joints tight.

Shoddy work.

And this from the self proclaimed master of treework.

Good grief!

Enough of the belittling already! Murph’s hinges are so fantastic they can not only pull heavy-leaning trees 475° against the lean, they can also pull semis out of ditches, can sing a fair tune (if you’re not too picky), and can also do minor home repairs and herd cows. They’re fair at castrating hogs, but tend to leave splinters...

Back