Bypassing the hinge.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I dont want to come off like an ass when I tell him he can't cut. I would love to be able to teach him why its the way it is. The problem is "I've been doing it like that for 20 years." I've left jobs because I've heard them exact words. After 6pm and I got out of a tree that everything was hanging up in. The owner cut the base down in the same fashion. He missed an inch of wood on the side by a new shed. The stub went almost 90 degrees off his notch, and smashed the shed i worked so hard to save out.

Yea, it's hard to argue with a long track record of "success". They're gonna tend to not listen. Before firing per stig, I'd let him know that firing's an option if he doesn't improve. You have high standards, and he needs to meet them to work for you. That's how every job works.

I understand why @stig Says to fire his ass. He is a liability to 1 people 2 property. We will see what happens tomorrow. I will not be worried with a loose cannon on my jobs. That is not right to do to my other folks.

I have worked with people like that in the past. Very difficult to tell them anything and they get ultra defensive.

Another I encounter on a regular basis is sloppy as shit cutting in smaller trees, then when it goes roughly in the correct place they respond with “it’s down and nothing damaged so what’s the problem”

Dude, you clearly frigged up on a tree 12 inches in diameter, use them to practice for the bigger trees. The potential for damage is dramatically increased as the size of the tree increases. If you can’t get it right in small tree how the hell do you expect to do it correctly in larger trees?

I truly appreciate everyone's input.

I dont want to be an asshole, but the asshole is in charge.

The brain thinks its in charge because it thinks and controls a lot of body functions.

The heart thinks its in charge because it supports the body.

But if the asshole closes up they are all in trouble. Hahaha.

I hate the attitude. If I was a betting man, my money would say 17 years ago the dude was saying “ it’s worked fine for 3 years now!”

It’s embarrassing to be wrong sometimes, but it’s probably a big step on the way to greatness. It’s possible to be confident and have a humble attitude that allows learning at the same time. Never stop learning, there’s always someone better at it.

Just say look it's like this, you do it this way or i gotta let you go, and here's the physics of why. I had a ground guy that squatted down and grabbed a huge log and tossed it on his shoulder, then walked around the arbor trolley to go to the truck. I stopped everything, and said this is what's up and here's why. He respected it, and we moved forward, and he didn't throw out his back. I can't work around people who refuse to learn to do things safely, this shit is dangerous enough.

Not trying to be a dick but...
Does = will do
Dose = amount of

Recently I've had to make some decisions that 1/8 werent happy with...1 wanted me to chage everything to suit them...I said sorry, but original decision stands. They grinched, then dealt with it.
Make a decision you know is right then stick to it and move on. The other 7 will thank you for it.

So is dangerous work, that could co$t money, if working for you should do as you say.
>>if hits house etc. you can say it is on him>>but they come after the lead just as when someone gets hurt
20yrs experience is nothing to set aside totally, but it is yo'azz they come for.
But if the Slanted topcut bypasses the horizontal lower cut in a normal face,
>>to me that is a re-flex command, flexes across the fibers of the stump column
>>this is a close, but usually starts that way and flexes fibers across
BUT if the lower horizontal cut bypasses the slanted top cut in normal face
>>that gives the stop command of a Dutchman>> close down the stump column
Across a full face, gives stop w/o relief side of step/1 sided Dutchman
If no specific reason, should exercise skills to be as a fine finishing carpenter of absolutely perfectly meeting faces.
>>With that much control>> perhaps then can l-earn to command other things later

I don't have the time for any mishaps because of poor technique. He can learn or he will have to go drag brush. I know that its a shake of the dice every time he cuts one down like that. Its just a matter of time before it goes wrong. He's a good dude. Thats the only issue I have with him.

I am going to shut her down first thing, and run down the basics this am. Time to share some knowledge. I hope it is well received. I will try my very best to deliver the information.

Thanks again folks. I appreciate y'all.

I don't think sending him to drag brush will help the situation. Guys learn from the more experienced, skills passed down and more importantly the why to do it that way.
Tell the guy he is going to smash something doing it that way, explain he is losing all control of the tree doing it that way.

@flushcut I just want to help. I hope he doesn't think I'm being condescending. I think I'm going to teach the greenest guy we have on the crew how to fell this am with everyone there. I hope everyone benefits from it.

When someone doesn't know basic felling technique, it needs to be taught to them.
They needs to know the language.

Teach him in private. Applaud him in public, after he understands his job is on the line, same as if he was driving a vehicle from the passenger seat, or any other reckless bs

You can find a replacement-liability like that guy, anywhere.

You can always find desperate guys willing to work dangerously.

Barber chairing a tree can kill him, pull down a power line killing someone else, etc, etc.

Rookie nonsense.

If he doesn't want to follow SOP, start with a suspension if he's got 20 years at the company. If he's got 20 years of being a rookie feller, he has almost certainly got other dangerous habits. If he's not having 20 years in at your company, and uncooperative, adios.

Back