How well does green eucalyptus hinge?

davidwyby

Desert Beaver
I have cut a lot of dead euc. It basically doesn’t hinge, just snaps. I suspect green is only marginally better. I might use a lift to do some weight reduction on the back and install a pull line, but I’d rather just fell it…maybe try jacking it though I think the weight distribution is decent. Mostly for the experience and so I don’t have to bang wedges.
The lay would be to the right.

2F294149-ACF0-4875-96F5-B60A1389956F.jpeg

We have a lot of Blue Gum, E. globulus, in urban areas across northwestern Calif. Other species as well. But the Blue Gum is the most common by far.

As hard, dense and heavy as the wood is the hinging strength is terrible.

Unless rigged properly don't attempt to fall a Blue Gum anywhere but where it favors.

That's my experience with it.

Ditto Gerry, knowing which species is important, some of them are splitty b'tards. Hope Trains pitches in here.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks everyone. I will take all precautions. Big truck big winch. Chain the trunk to prevent the splits. Weight correction.
Probably like this again. Now that I post it, I realize I have cut a live one.

YouTube the: Shark Gill Felling Cut. I happen to be halfway through the tutorial. I haven’t figured out how to post links yet. It makes brittle wood hinge like no one’s business. Maybe a bull rope and the shark gill are what you need?

I figured it out! This is the short version. He has a 45 min detailed video as well. Patrick (Educated Climber) did this cut on a recent video and posted the link.

You need a cut downwards at the the apex of the notch. Right now the paper closest to the notch is folding outwards. Your notch is the “gap cut” I believe. Not entirely sure I’d the shark gill is compatible? Watch the long version and see how / where David explains the placement of the bores on the whiteboard. Just found out the producer of the video developed x rings rigging tools and lives in the same town as I do! Small world

Yes, I see.
I’m thinking along the lines of a more flexible hinge in brittle wood, maybe with multiple back cuts. I think the face could be more open.

I think he’s using gaps to increase hinge time and vertical fiber pull to slow the fall.

I have seen that and was going to suggest it but knowing euc I have my doubts. If 42” will reach thru the tree I will try it.
I'm going to be hella impressed if you can bore 42" through a tree with the needed accuracy.

Boring dead-dead-on through a 42" tree for a full-gap facecut is a trick. You will have basically no degrees of slop with the shark-gill/ triple-hinge.

I've used the triple hinge with good success on small trees, less than 20"

You would have to have a jig, and a very precise one at that.

Further, you have multiple trunks with inclusions.

I have cut a lot of dead euc. It basically doesn’t hinge, just snaps. I suspect green is only marginally better. I might use a lift to do some weight reduction on the back and install a pull line, but I’d rather just fell it…maybe try jacking it though I think the weight distribution is decent. Mostly for the experience and so I don’t have to bang wedges.
The lay would be to the right.

View attachment 121990
Jacking and wedging is a very slow process. When a poorly hinging tree starts to loose hinge fibers to breakage as the tree moves, it's going to go with gravity.

Recently, I had to pull over a slightly backleaning bigleaf maple with decay. The homeowner was trying to "help", even though I'd very easily worked 7 prunes and 2 removals with minor rigging, solo, and had explained to him clearly how people trying to give unsolicited "help" a major reason for F-ups and injuries, and how I don't want people trying to 'read my mind' or 'help' so that I can plan things a handful of steps in advance and execute said plan in a 'boring' way.

I had a simple trucker's hitch 3:1 to pre-tension the maple toward the lay. I had just enough rope to set it up, and get some bend into the tree. Without asking, he started to try to help me set the TH, throwing off my train of thought. Initially, I was going to wedge over this backleaner, but thought better of it, as it leaned toward the house, and had some amount of decay, with the hingewood decay being impossible to really know until analyzing the stump.

As I wedged it to get it to commit, with a bit of tension left in the pull line, it started to go, then drift off the 'gunned' direction, scaring his tree stand; no harm, no foul, but...

Had he not tried to 'help', I would have gone to the truck and gotten the Maasdam Rope Puller, and put more bend in the stem, and more elastic tension into the pull-rope, possibly redirecting the rope back to the stump area, so I could easily adjust as I cut, and then deflected the pull-rope sideways to increase my manual input to give it some speed. Alternatively, I could have hung a midline log and tensioned it with the Rope Puller.

I was solo wrecking a 4.5' dbh co-dominant doug-fir a handful of years back, I hung a midline log (couple hundred pounds) and tensioned with my mini-loader, using a good (low) line-angle to pull over a respectably-sized back-leaning top on the second leader.

Mucho gracias to Gerry for introducing that wonderful technique to me via FOGT. Works a treat!

The winch won't keep up; The pedal on the right will. A midline log will.

Keep it simple. A full gap face is the most trickery to use, and way easy for cutting a big trunk compared to matching kerfs for the face-cut. Aim it with a small saw of the same/ close to the same gauge of bar. A 20" would be way easier to start a pilot-kerf.

Shave the bark off first to inspect the fibers and inclusions. Cut low. BEWARE spiral grain, especially with the full-gap face and getting into the root flare.

Looks like an easy tree to get a base-tied or trunk-choke pull rope in the rear lead.

Any more pictures, especially the intended hinge area?

Last edited:
@gf beranek I think the “inventor” also made the point that the fiber pull slows the fall.

@SeanKroll thanks for all the info!

24” x48” calibrated measuring trash can… so no 42” I don’t think. That much tree on that small of a brittle trunk requires caution methinks. More pics next time I’m over that way. Would you tend towards the roots or between them and where it divides?

C6A9C934-8775-4B3F-8975-37DBE8590E78.jpeg
I hadn’t gotten to reading about the midline weight yet but it’s an idea I once floated and was told to just use stretchy rope. I don’t have rope but I got this big truck and winch…I have pulled quite a few good size tamarix aphylla over with it against the lean. Pulling with the truck, not the winch. I might try the midline as I may not have room for pulling with the truck.

Back