Nasty pine bid

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Sure, I suppose that would be an option to explore if the situation warrented, probably need to tie into the boom

Something to keep in mind, cranes (and bucket trucks) are designed to lift loads up, not sideways. You would have to turn the boom in line with the load. Pulling sideways against the boom is hard on the rotation gears. Sort of like side loading a carabiner. A taut highline can put an incredible amount of load on the anchors.

Very true point, I've had relatively light crane picks get hung up when the only way to pull the tree was sideways to the boom orientation. When the saw is bound in there with that deal it can get frustrating.

Thanks, I guess it's not such a good idea. I was picturing a tree in a back yard, just out of reach of the crane on the street, and a somewhat loose highline running across from the crane to another tree. It will be interesting to see how this one ends up being done. Hope you get the job, Willie.

But why would one set it up sideways? Turn the boom the way it is supposed to be

come off the manic fantasies.. you guys are starting to sound like southsound (no pun intended).. With a bit of slack in the highline, forces would be extremely low on the crane...

sounds like you don't really even need a highline.. just a tie in point somewhere in the vicinity, some nice dynamic climbing line and a ground anchor for the tail, to stop/slow the swing, along with a breakaway lanyard... now that's my idea of a good time... too bad its so far away...

Kinda cocky there, Danny boy? Odd for a fella who was a green horn a few years back...and has never done a tree that tall---and leaning---and dead....I've been climbing at a high level at least four times as long as you, and I never have.....

While you're right about side load forces being low with a slightly loose highline, Use of same would be great for the climber's peace of mind. How many times have you used one for dead/hazard trees? I've done it twice just in the last 6 months.....

But, on another note, good for you for contributing on a thread started by someone other than yourself.....

I put in a call to find out what the scooby is. If someone else gets the job I would still like to watch!

But why would one set it up sideways? Turn the boom the way it is supposed to be

Theoretically, One might need to reach with the boom in a way to set up the highline where the highline is not in-line between the turret and the other anchor tree.

A two hundred pound climber pulling down on a highline that bends the rope to an angle of 120 degrees, I think would be about double, multiplied by the moment arm/ boom length, I think would give the torque being applied by this sideloading. 200 pound climber pulling sideways on 100' of stick would work out to more that a little.

I don't know what the sideloading tolerance of a crane is like for wear and tear and tipping. I don't imagine that it would be a tipping risk for most cranes, but I haven't hear of people sideloading cranes mostly horizontally in this way. Could it pull the cable off the sheave if pulled too much?

I really dont think that the hook would be the best tie in point for an off plumb load. Nor would I want to side load the boom regardless of weight

Sideloading seems to happen a bit in treework when things aren't perfect, but I don't think it sounds like great idea. I was thinking that if the climber had to climb back up the rope, it would further shockload to some degree.

If the boom was inline with the rope, it seems, theoretically, to be workable, don't you think?

I was wondering about that too. Watch someone does it old school with guys or safety.

I would bet someone climbs it, no guys, no nothing.
but a saw, taughtline, cat's knot for his flipline, Rambo headband, airborne tattoo and some stagged nomex.

But seriously, I hope Willie gets it.

I would bet someone climbs it, no guys, no nothing.
but a saw, taughtline, cat's knot for his flipline, Rambo headband, airborne tattoo and some stagged nomex.

But seriously, I hope Willie gets it.

It's a very good chance

Long thread!

I would do that tree old school. Spur up, top off, and sit and smoke a cigar at the top. These pine are often much stronger than you think.

I agree, except for the cigar part: that's why I haven't been saying all that much. From my armchair it looks like it could probably be climbed as long as there was no rigging involved. But, it's one of those "jew gotta be here to see it, mang" kinda things. I might start up, get halfway, then descend because shit just 'didn't feel right' orrrrrr something.

Back