Big Aleppo pine leaning on other trees

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
With no concerns, why use a lift at all?
I don’t climb.

I don’t think it could be worked down from the stump. I spose if he really doesn’t care about the other trees I could just cut them all.

The trees closest to the house (call it left or south if we are facing down the lean, which is west) are most wanted to keep. The one on the right is mostly dead. The one in the middle is what it’s mostly leaning on. I could notch and back cut it to the right leaving a heavy hinge, maybe with a triple hinge and then winch the whole thing down right/north. Probably drop the dead one first.

Last edited:
With a lift, start at the outer edge of the canopy and work your way in to the big wood. Usually pretty quick IMO.

If he isn't arsed about damage, slam some bigger bits. Just beware of your cuts and how they may land... Go too big and the tip can hit first and the but kick back and land behind the cutting point, possibly hitting the lift.

Just something to be aware of.

Think tank/ devil's advocate, mite not use as final plan in whole or part; but would look at from both angles:
Drop wires, unload weight from 1st/smaller tree top, strip rest of lower 'feathers' leaving spar and stub that is pointing right in initial pic and maybe a foot of spar above.
Extruding helpful boom(in chess game never use saw to throw away a helpful card/key position, ballast nor shielding etc.) for 2nd tree.
>>1st tree is already proven to hold more than has now, even thru storms(after cuts).
>>then fortify 1st tree in opposing direction than 2nd tree.
Use same rigging line or brace line to dispense with initial tree; when done with boom usage.
>>can use boom alone or as solo rig, shared support(dual lines) or just to take some rigging load off 2nd tree(single line).
Would walk firmly, perhaps probe on ground opposing lean on 2nd tree, feeling for any sponginess.
>>possible bracing concern, bracing would be tightened up a bit as unloaded lean
>>once a bit of weight off is more sturdy, but potentially 'sloppy' too, if try to play off of it, would tighten brace to avoid impacting if rigging from,
that is quite a leveraged angle lean, thumbrule: 45degrees would be 70.7% of leverage of full potential of totally leaned over horizontal, parallel with ground.
To me, nickeling and diming out is for when cornered;
try to play to art, and expansion of art of surgical large in high focus, trying to make that even the safer option of less renditions.
In the end is also a business of efficiency too, and possible hybrid of plans combined; but all different ways should be thought out i think.
Like chess game.

That is a lot of hinge. Boring the back cut would have been worth considering. Or the Coos Bay cut.

Easy to say in hindsight, I know.

Hinge thickness is response to load pull.
>>get thicker hinge with fake wedge or rope forces to thicker hinge with forward direction part of force volume.
The greater hinge pull/ rooster tail side should be the fatter side of hinge as Dent's offside , leveraged ballast against opposing side lean is how I see/say it.
This tree had very large leveraged angle multiplier as lean.
Folding straight down feeds directly into greatest gravity pull.
Folding to side 45degrees is less direct force by ~30%
AND provides more vertical column in hinge against the vertical gravity force.
Boring, Coos, sudden trigger release to me are more 'throw' quick, like speeding back cut of relief with less competing material
vs. light fold.
Each having own great dynamics; simply choose weapon.
Without face, Coos must be kept moving to roll, not settle across like Dutchman. But to qualify as Dutch would think need open face to build speed multiplier , into hard face SLAM, of again hard charging force to get the response back. But again as with Coos a hard throwing, not soft, dainty, unnconfident nor settling to extrude desired result.
Congratulations!

Last edited:
@Tree09 only some places. Many are too soft. Homeowner got it stuck in the alkali off the road.

@SeanKroll @Burnham I wasn’t about to try to bore cut that thing with an aggressive 36” .404 chain on the ported 395 I use for firewooding dry Euc. I chained it to prevent barberchairing, and I kinda wanted to see the snap crackle pop anyway. It was a good show. I didn’t start the vid until about 15 seconds in. Could feet it in the ground.

666F3204-0148-4211-879F-1A9700EDC4E0.jpeg C08A5AFB-AB5B-4DB7-84B9-6A906BBE5EE1.jpeg

I think I also thought that a trigger would make things happen very quickly and I didn’t want to be close when they did. With so much tension on it, I’d be afraid the back strap might explode off the tree before I was ready….it was starting to before I ever started cutting. As it was, it was nice and slow and I had plenty of time to get away and be facing it instead of running with my back to it and stuff possibly flying at me.

A big question I will always have if if we could have just cut the pine and if it would have come down without cutting the elms (ashes?). One (on the right side) was already mostly dead and the center one was right under multiple limbs on the pine, so it would have gotten wrecked. Could have pieced it down but the HO did not want to fool around all day and the lift is down anyway.

More of the story. I wished I’d brought my 36” bar with a less aggressive 3/8” chain. You can hear the grabbiness in the saw.

Watching this again, I think I answered my question…the elms had to go. The pine went once the left elm went.

The pine had two large limbs right in the vee of the elm and would have either gotten stuck or split it in half.
3029C7EC-A6B5-4080-BA31-B1C6F9FC7294.jpeg

*if a chain is not aggressive enough in dry hard (brittle) euc, it will skate and the saw will scream unless you dog hard, and then get the bar hot. Too much bite is bad as well obviously…

Last edited:
Back