Jeffrey Pine Down

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
125 feet and a little under 5 foot dbh

12 K winch tied off to another truck

Not really but they had to dismantle as patio Feed storage shed and a couple sections of corral fencing n posts

Yum yum, she's thick!

Was the pull line strictly nessacary or were you hedging your bets?

Not to take anything from you, knowing for a fact it's going to fall THERE means a lot more than "I'm pretty sure it's gonna lay out this way"

Yum yum, she's thick!

Was the pull line strictly nessacary or were you hedging your bets?

Not to take anything from you, knowing for a fact it's going to fall THERE means a lot more than "I'm pretty sure it's gonna lay out this way"
I used to say that I was hedging my bets, but really was stacking the odds in my favor, more accurately. For example, wedging and pulling are stacking the odds in the same direction for one, desired outcome.

Hedging your bet is to protect yourself against loss by supporting more than one possible result or both sides in a competition: They're hedging their bets and keeping up contacts with both companies.

Once I’d dropped it with a 660, I used my new 500i to buck it into 16 foot sections.

My buddy and his three young sons were so impressed by the 500i’s performance, they rushed out and bought one the very next day.

1706034485201.jpeg

Yu mean a bull line through a redirect pulley to a winch line?

Musta been pure coincidence the trunk pointed directly at the pulley!

1706044507683.jpeg

Yu mean a bull line through a redirect pulley to a winch line?

Musta been pure coincidence the trunk pointed directly at the pulley!

View attachment 135543
I think it fell to the lay as directed by your hinge, which was faced at the pulley. And that's a prudent location for you to have placed the redirect pulley.

But if you'd set that pull off to an angle from the direction dictated by the hinge, the tree still would have gone to that same lay.

Pull ropes do not control the felling direction, the hinge does.

I respectively disagree Burnham ole buddy.

Had I not put the pull line on at
90 feet the second shed would’ve been in serious jeopardy had the lean overpowered the hinge wood.

It had an eastward lean that the winch line over came.

I put just enough serious pull on it to avoid a barber chair affect.

1706064146244.jpeg 1706064146244.jpeg

So you gave it a serious pull to avoid a barberchair? How does that work?

And I submit to you that, especially a tree of that size, if the lean had "overpowered" the hinge wood (by which I guess you mean caused the hinge to tear out early rather than function as planned), then a pull line direct to the gunned lay would have done nothing to change the direction of fall.

Not. One. Thing.

Perhaps my euc driven career has led me to not trusting hingewood integrity in a leaning situation.

i have found that conifer or softwood hinges are far more tenacious than hardwood hinges:

indeed in smaller pines I have found that triangular hinges can result in a slow fall that once limbed results in a horizontal log well off the ground, begging to be cut into 16 inch rounds,

So I’m inferring that conifers have superior hinge integrity than hardwoods like eucs, making me somewhat trigger shy, and far more cautious.

All I’m sayin is lean can be over come by pull far easier in softwoods than hardwoods.

The tree being half dead rather than totally dead factored into the equation.

Back