Jeffrey Pine Down

None of which addresses my question, or comment on your technique and expectations that your pull directed your fall to the lay.

No worries. We can do things as we have learned work for us, and they can be different.

IME, that would have tipped over with wedges right where the hinge pointed it, until the hinge ripped. The pull line just brought it over-center enough to continue to bend the hinge, then the falling tree outpaced the tensioned rope.

From what other say, Euc is not a good hinge-r, mostly. Pine seems to be largely the other way, not all. Doug-fir is a sorta like cheating, IME.

Tall hinges, to a point, absent spiral grain, hold longer, from what I can tell.

Half dead is way better then fully dead, by a longshot.

Hinges aligned with the pull are a winning combo.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Better safe than totally fugged….

Last edited:
I have a little exp with Euc, though not nearly as much overall felling exp as anyone here.

I think Jomo is saying he’s used to Euc, in which the hinge breaks very early, so then the tree goes with gravity or the rope, assuming the rope is pulling fast enough.

I think he also meant just enough tension but not so much as to ‘chair.

I think Burnham is saying that in a tree with good hinge wood, if the hinge gun/lay and the pull point are not perfectly aligned, the tree will follow the hinge…assuming the face is not so closed as to break the hinge early. The hinge would have to break and the puller be pulling very fast to redirect the top off the gun.

I think the rope is more saving sweat beating wedges in this case.

If it were me, on a real hard leaning tree with targets in the lean direction, I would put the pull rope pulling (holding really) opposite the lean…preferably something not stretchy. I say that but then finding the perfect anchor point not too far forward or rearward is a bit of a trick that I need more experience with.

Very nice tones, good clean, hot burn to caramelize meat.
i have to go with Burnham hear especially, MOSTLY.
>>for clean, professional, graceful falls i think he speaks of.
The path across the hinge thinned axis is the weakest part as fold line,
path across long axis of hinge is much higher leveraged against sidelean.
Pull line i think should always be in agreement with hinge not fighting.
Pull line to hinge thin axis makes hinge stronger by faking extra load, to fold earlier/thicker/stronger.
>>unless pulling the CoG up the hill from back lean, up over pivot of stump
>>to then 'splash down' to target side.
Pulls across hinge length % part of rope pull to me kinda tend to be a scared fight against side lean after tree is faced to target.
>>these pulls do not extrude stronger from the forging of the hinge
>>fights the side foe, but only as long as there is tension
>>as tension eases, side foe/weight is full on again, like not pulling a backleaner far enough and letting go of rope
To me pulls across thin axis of hinge, when not backlean; exercise/challenge/coach the hinge thicker stronger by fooling with false load, that then relieves to leave imbued strength, but at less load. So is stronger to task, just as weightlifter or GI running with full pack on to expand powerband, to then be more in control in more normal task with the 'spoofed' extra temporary loading during forging. These contestants are simply more ready for the ensuing battle.
The force is more productive input to challenge hinge stronger, for that persists longer in scenario, to tearoff , than rope tension. Exception would be if enough speed and/or position gained to be fully committed before tension and/or wedge relieve side force of their own, e=mcSQUARED means speed rules by compound application to the final sum.
But, fast throw is never my choice unless have to punch thru something;
what i 'lean' towards is slower, controlled, put saw down after the science and walk away as created machine works away bringing the massive beast down; not sitting in the kill zone of the batters box so much at that point.
Force is amazing, can do this way and extrude this, but also another reversed strategy way as well to choose from, like slow/fast fall here.
Force wise here against the sidelean: i think routing the force thru the hinge to fight the sidelean(pulling to target), rather than directly confronting sidelean(pulling to counter/ballast side), adds the hinge leveraging as another stacked leveraged multiplier against sidelean from effort input. This leveraged multiplier in the chain against sidelean would be less , when hinge multiplier skipped, for force direction portions directly against sidelean, rather than deflected thru hinge forward force. Tapered Hinge greatly exemplifies the effect, with a wad of resistance in highest leveraged position possible within hinge against sidelean. On HARD close, numbers change as now less leverage to load side, more to our control side, as pivot position between the 2 factions, load vs. control, changes leaving less length to load and more to rear hinge tensions.
Doc Shigo really put out there fully that hard rain drops can wreak havoc on mychors in sea of soil. Another reason for the slower/less impacting falls. And to that i think the harshest fall force is feeding directly into the lean. Choosing face rotation to allow some sidelean then , properly handled, for shaving even more off the peak concussion force. Favor stronger hinge with rope as discussed, to Tapered Hinge to let it's side force ballast out the sidelean from equation, leaving/revealing only the forward force portion of force to be 'expressed'. So off center fell is softer, and practices skills; that can be taken upstairs to where Tapered Hinge can also really shine.

Last edited:
Back