dynaglide...

• Thread starter Widow Shooter
  • Start date
  • Replies 43
  • Views 8K
W

Widow Shooter

Sucks large in my opinion...:X

I have relegated it to pullling out hangers since it is 1100# break strength.

pretty much all it is useful for.

that shit gets stuck all the time and the tension it has necessitates the use of a super heavy throwbag to get it down.

More than thrice have I had BOTH ends get hung from the tension...:(

I pretty much stick to Zing-it 1.75 now, 'specially with both ends being spliced by Nick :)

Anybody else have bad luck with dynaglide?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
bout the only trees I would use it on would be soft maples, beech and red oaks...anyhting else, no 'effin way ;)

Scott, I had the same problem with 1.75 Zing-it cutting my hands. Went to the heavier 2.2mm Zing-it and have been using that for the last several years. Much easier on the hands and it doesn't get wind knots as easily. If I were regularly setting lines over 100' then I might go back to 1.75 for the extra distance, but it isn't needed here in Florida.

Yeah I was big into the dynoglide but when I started the ALB I was given a zing it and I'm still throwing it. It doesn't get hackled up and that's good in the woods.

Zing It is the bomb. I love my spliced 1.75mm Zing It. Also rocking some 2.2mm Fling It, but I prefer the Zing It, because I can splice it.

Surprised me on Tuesday. I actually broke some Zing It pulling on it with just my weight. Had it wrapped around a stick for leverage, and where it broke, a few fibers appeared to be compromised, so it wasn't full strength. But still, with a BS of roughly 500lbs I believe, it still surprised me. First time I've ever broken Zing-It.

Sure, 2.2 sized throw lines will always tangle less than 1.75......but, that said, in our rough barked conifers, and often, with the throw line going over a bunch of needled foliage, I've found that 1.75 is the better size and Fling It runs better than Z-I....but it does tangle rather easily...

OK upon further research, I have Dynaglide on top, 1.75" Zing it below it , and polyethylene below that in my throwline bucket. The only one that I hate is the polyethylene as it kept breaking, the others work fine for me. The Dynaglide has lasted longer than any other line I've had and has a nice feel now. I do a lot of silver maples and their branch ridges tend to stop the line so now I have been using a heavier bag, the red Bullet bag, I think its 16 oz. The combo has been working OK.

I traded someone on the buzz for some dynaglide a couple years ago. Used it religiously for a month, and never again. I gave it to karina. Too thick, too loosely woven, not GLIDEY enough. Cary's right- you need to step it up 2 ounces on throwbag to get it to come down the way you're used to.

I've been using the 1.75mm for years and love it. A few years ago I figured out that if I splice it, I liked it even more. Then I figured out if I bury the tail a couple few feet down the rope, it made the end of the line feel thick (maybe 2.2mm or a little more?) so I had the advantage of easy grip for throwing, but still being light weight line for flying through the air.

love
nick

i have dyna glide
youre right it hangs up without a heavier weight
i cut mine in half the other day and threw weights on all the ends and bagged them up seperately
i never used the whole length , 150 or 200 ft it was stupidly long

i liked zing it , but it was hell on my hands and seemed to tangle easily

Thanks for that Brian. Wouldn't you want a bigger loop so you could girth hitch it to the throw ball? Right now I have maybe a 2 1/2" loop tied in the end of my line for attaching the throw ball.

The Brummell is the one where you weave back and forth through the line four or five times?

I liked the green neon color, but on my white oaks it took a 16oz bag to drop, where a 10oz would with anything else. So it didn't work out for me.

Someone told me they recently reworked the formula to make it better. The piece I had was from when it was FIRST sold as a throwline.

Anyone try the new stuff? I think luke at treestuff said he's been selling a lot of it.

love
nick

I just got some about a month ago.
I mainly bought it because Dave mentioned that he liked it back when Lou was putting some gear together.
It takes at least a 12 ounce bag to pull it through on anything else than beech.
We used it in the near-dark to pull a very small maple last week.
That stuff almost glows in the dark!

I don't like it. 1.75 Zing-it is all I use. I don't put a BIG eye on my throwlines, I make it just big enough to easily pass the ball through... and I cannot remember why but there was a good reason.

Nick, it was 3 years ago when I tried mine, so if they remade the formula I would love to try it again. The color is great, and I remember trying to break it when it got stuck. I couldn't. Almost felt I could climb on it.

But it was too frustrating to use so I actually took it back to the store after one day. It sounds like many of the posters here had recent purchases. Good thread!

Back