Load securement for on road transport

WoodCutr

Treehouser
What do you guys typically do to secure equipment on a trailer? chains, straps, grab vs open hook, ratchet vs snappy binder, shock absorbing straps, etc
currently on my boxer I use 3 chains and 2 binders, 1 chain in the back makes a loop with each end from machine to trailer D rings, loose section between them, drive the machine forward to tighten then run a chain over cross tube on lift arms down to rear trailer corner, binder on each chain

I will post pics next time I load up my machine, if I remember
all 5 chains in my trailer are 20 foot grade 70, 4x5/16 and 1x3/8, all have grab hooks on each end, thinking of cutting 2 down into either 2 8' and 2 12' or 4 10' sections with hooks on both ends so I dont have to drag around nearly as much weight when chaining down equipment

thoughts on using grab hooks to form loops around D rings vs open hooks to catch a ring?
my new machine is right on the edge of the 10K 5 tiedown limit, in Tennessee im allowed 1 tiedown for 1100 pounds or less, 2 tiedowns on a machine 10K or less and 10 feet or less (one on each end), after the 10ft but under 10K its one extra chain per 10 foot I think, but once you hit 10K its one on each corner and one over the appendage (bucket), aggregate capacity of 50% the equipment weight if I recall

what to do if I cant set the bucket of the excavator down on the trailer deck without hitting the doors? im thinking of putting pins on the doors so they are easily removed to fit, or wood blocks under the bucket

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I should note, I dont use straps on equipment any more, found the ratchets dont last and I feel like the strap will get cut too easily
ive got 5 ratchet binders and 2 snap binders in the truck, I use the snap binders for logs since they are much faster than ratchets to tighten as logs settle, I keep a winch bar in every vehicle for them, generally I hold the bar and ride it down as I jump off the trailer and thats barely enough to get them tight

always ratchets on equipment tho, the snap binders have tried to snap my fingers backwards more times than I can count on whats left, just gotta keep them oiled (just put grease on mine to see how that helps, normally I use bar oil)
when tightening chains I usually go till "that aint going anywhere" usually stopping at 20 pounds or so on the ratchet handles, maybe 10 if they are well lubricated

I use ratchet straps but that is my preference. I know they don't last but they are lighter and don't bang everything up. They are also much cheaper. As a trade off I have to replace them every year or so. Chains and binders are good for a lifetime but heavy and will trash the paint. And you already know about keeping them lubed.

yeah straps are easier for sure, chains give me too many options IMO, ever looking for a spot to hook to since I can just wrap anything that looks strong enough

your avant is too nice to use chains on, keep it shiny please!

Chains and binders, never used anything else for heavy equipment. Ratchet straps for loads, almost always.
preferred brand of binders? all mine are harbor freight, same as my chains, cheap and seem to work fine

No idea, but certainly not HF. I believe they came from the local logging gear/Stihl saw shop. Same for the chains, which were link grab style hooks on both ends. At least 4 decades ago, before everything made of steel it seems came from China.

Last edited:
For the excavators it's one chain on each side of the blade. Two crossing in the back going to the track frame. And one across the bucket. I think the one across the bucket may be technically redundant, as all excavators have had swing lock for the last 40 years, or so, but we do it anyway. This is a unit we demo'd, but did not buy.

20230526_150109.jpg

Agreed, not HF for safety.
they seem solid enough to me, coming from the guy that used to climb on 30 year old screw gate carabiners

trust them more than the sheet metal the D rings are welded to in the trailer (seriously, they welded half inch D rings to like 10 gauge steel)

yeah lets hope the box holds the machine in there, ive really only got the trailer chained to the machine (3600 pound trailer) to be legal

The right thing would be welding in some fish plates to spread the load out on the deck, then the d rings on top of those, maybe some 3/8 steel in a 12" circle under the d rings

But considering I'm chaining the trailer to the load, it's only gotta hold 3600 pounds (unless the machine slides, i.e get rear ended)

I'm not sure how much lower the d rings rip out vs breaking the harbor freight chains or binders but I'm 99% sure the trailer fails first

Do the D ring welds line up with a frame support under the deck? And ripping apart 10-11 gauge isn't exactly easy.

Do the D ring welds line up with a frame support under the deck? And ripping apart 10-11 gauge isn't exactly easy.
nope, they are just straight ontop of the deck, mind me its kinda close to the corner but not close enough to matter when a 10 thousand pound machine starts pulling on it in a wreck

Too many things wrong with your analysis to count.
hopefully I never find out

all im saying is: the chains will hold longer than the rings will
kinda sad actually, $15000 trailer with tiedowns that im not 100% confident in

edit: this is the ring setup im speaking of, slightly better than my buddies trailer (his are on the sides, even less support and thinner steel)
I should also mention the welds are of typical trailer quality (barely enough but good enough I guess)
1693783037764.png

Looks like every other commercially available dump trailer on the market. I think you would be surprised at how much load those will hold.

Looks like every other commercially available dump trailer on the market. I think you would be surprised at how much load those will hold.
good to know, I still dont trust them even tho I have had some wicked force on them, and winched tractors and logs into it with a gas powered winch

I have trust issues, Mkay

itll have its first heavy equipment load this week, we shall see, ive had this loaded way down with logs and it handled it just fine, so a 9K excavator shouldnt be an issue

Is that your new trailer? Or just an example.
thats a picture off google but same model trailer, homesteader 714HX
great trailer minus the welds, and the ramps don't slide under the deck, they hang on the fenders or I normally just slide them into the box with my machine

they seem solid enough to me, coming from the guy that used to climb on 30 year old screw gate carabiners

trust them more than the sheet metal the D rings are welded to in the trailer (seriously, they welded half inch D rings to like 10 gauge steel)

yeah lets hope the box holds the machine in there, ive really only got the trailer chained to the machine (3600 pound trailer) to be legal
I don't understand what that first paragraph means.

If in doubt, I'd strengthen the trailer, not go with questionable chains.

What are you pulling with?

How much tongue weight do you have?
2004 2500 ram, or my C7000
the dodge has a 5.9 cummins, NV5600, I tow heavier all the time

as for tongue weight, we actually measured about 2" of sag in the suspension with the excavator loaded

I don't understand what that first paragraph means.

If in doubt, I'd strengthen the trailer, not go with questionable chains.
first paragraph was mentioning the fact when it comes to rated equipment breaking im rarely worried
the trailer tiedowns arent rated

the chains arent questionable at all

Back