What Non Essential Gear Do You Think Is Worth Owning?

It had to have by some amount, but it was imperceptible to me. Pretty much the express route down. Like I said though, it was a rancher, so it was a pretty cheap lesson. Basically just felt stupid.
ive found the braking effect stuff has tends to go un noticed when you fall long distances, from up to splat goes really fast!

atleast you didnt get hurt!

Here's the promised link to the hooks.

I love them because I don't have the patience to have my frames properly fitted, and I sweat a lot. But it's Arizona, most folks sweat a lot lolz.

I can't even guess how many times they've saved my daughter's glasses too.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Awesome. Thanks! I'll throw them in my next order. I'll have to make an order soon anyway. Forgot a couple things in the last one.

They do come off of my glasses sometimes, when they get caught up in my hair while I'm taking my glasses off. Usually they're still right behind my ears.

Pardon the dirty jacket, I didn't figure shooting downward was preferred 😉.

A soft fabric, DD buckle works nicely for me. From the local Food Co-op Free Store.

17005189222328775213314782996085.jpg

use mine daily, for line clearance I usually have 2 poles, one with a hook and one with a saw, my saw also has a hook but you cant replace the legit hook when needed

Anybody wearing suspenders with their saddles? I haven't but imagine I'll be kicking myself when I finally do.

I run the OG monkeybeaver suspenders on my treemotion, really saves when you have a 395 or 880 hanging on your hip

they did just come out with the 2.0 suspenders, not sure what all the differences are as I haven't looked, but they are probably really nice

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
@Treeaddict has the MB suspenders(V2 I assume), and he seems to really like them. I don't like stuff over my shoulders if I can help it. So far, a bare saddle's been fine.

I used to hate stuff on my shoulders toll I got used to it, some days if I don't have a big saw with me and I need the flexibility I will just take the suspenders off and let them hang behind me, they don't get in the way a whole lot actually

I used to hate stuff on my shoulders toll I got used to it, some days if I don't have a big saw with me and I need the flexibility I will just take the suspenders off and let them hang behind me, they don't get in the way a whole lot actually
A much safer way might be to remove them. I would guess they clip on- clip off.

I've never worn suspenders, but can see them being good in the right situations.

A much safer way might be to remove them. I would guess they clip on- clip off.

I've never worn suspenders, but can see them being good in the right situations.
They come with "dead eye" webbing straps that choke loops on the harness, no way to un-clip them, although that's not a bad idea, could easily put xsre carabiners on the straps to make them a quick release type setup

I think suspenders are useful when you regularly chog down tall conifers with bigger saws.
Mostly here I might have to make make 3 or 4 big cuts on a bigger dismantle, the awkward stuff is the horizontals over targets.
plus on a small crew, I often drop down and help with clear up mid job, so I try to keep the shedding of harness/spikes as quick and convenient as poss.

They come with "dead eye" webbing straps that choke loops on the harness, no way to un-clip them, although that's not a bad idea, could easily put xsre carabiners on the straps to make them a quick release type setup
Or any low strength connector, even cord with a soft shackle.

I made basic soft shackles for my gf's overall clips to replace a broken connector. 3 cents worth of cord.

Big fan of my sussies, I've got the Monkey Beaver set, on the MB 2.0 harness. It's a Cadillac of a harness, but those suspenders are something of a must

I think suspenders are useful when you regularly chog down tall conifers with bigger saws.
Mostly here I might have to make make 3 or 4 big cuts on a bigger dismantle, the awkward stuff is the horizontals over targets.
plus on a small crew, I often drop down and help with clear up mid job, so I try to keep the shedding of harness/spikes as quick and convenient as poss.
Do you mean firewood lengths?

Very, very rarely do I cut single rounds, or bother with anything more than a MS460/ MS461, commonly a MS362 unless it's thick or cutting singles.

Someone here posted something with a clever name. It was a matter of starting the second cut after the first is finished, 'parking' the saw in the second kerf, pushing the first, finishing the second, 'parking' the saw in the next...rinse and repeat.

Once the saw is in the tree, it doesn't go back on your saddle between cuts.

Carrying minimal gear helps, too.

I run the OG monkeybeaver suspenders on my treemotion, really saves when you have a 395 or 880 hanging on your hip

they did just come out with the 2.0 suspenders, not sure what all the differences are as I haven't looked, but they are probably really nice
I love em. Not sure I can tell the differences between the OG as I’ve only run the 2.0. They don’t loosen up and are highly customizable.

Hmm. Block and park. I've overlooked that one for years apparently! Might get to try it out soon, on the big spar my cousin and I left Wednesday. Most of that has to be rigged down, till I know I won't murder the leech field.

Anywho, thanks guys, I leart me something!

Or any low strength connector, even cord with a soft shackle.

I made basic soft shackles for my gf's overall clips to replace a broken connector. 3 cents worth of cord.
hmm, maybe make soft shackles out of something like Zing it?
i wouldn't use Dynaglide as its too strong and very thin, but maybe Zingit breaks at around the right force? I don't remember the spec off the top of my head

Brake pedal depressor-log.

Parking brakes only hold the rear wheels.

I had to 90⁰-guy a root- pulled tree (drainage swale/ maintenance and roadbed meant no roots for 180⁰) with my truck, solo, on an emergency job where 4 other trees barely missed the house. Using a log, I had 4 wheel braking plus chocks. GUSTY and near the waterfront.
1, 2, 3 cuts, wedges to avoid backlean, and pull...ezpz.

Ratchet straps hold POWs upright, and along with any other type of rope, pull chocks out from in front of tires when pulling off the chocks on a steep hill, solo.

Back