What Non Essential Gear Do You Think Is Worth Owning?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I've seen them in catalogs, and wondered how they fit in use.

I've seen them in catalogs, and wondered how they fit in use.
they fit great, if I take my glasses off they are even better (they sit on my glasses and push them into my nose a little)
for the price id buy them again, maybe the orange or yellow lenses as the silver is too dark sometimes
I only put them down once a month or so depending on the day, I only ever really use them on overcast days where the sun is blocked by clouds making the entire sky uncomfortable to look at, the sun is still wicked bright through the glasses so I just block it with my hand on clear days

Contacts aren't terrific if you're working outside. Something will happen to a lens, and your hands are filthy. God help you if you're a smoker too. The nicotine on your fingers is like jalapeño eye drops.

That's all i wear, and I'm welding and stuff too. They've saved me getting my eye scraped a bunch over the years, because if you get something in then you simply throw them away. I haven't seen the big E since high school lol

here's another, these "riggers belts" are really sweet for saw pants, I leave the belt in mine 24/7, just saves trouble at the end of the day when you are hot and tired and dont feel like fiddling with a belt buckle, its the same buckle design as the treemotion evo uses, also the nylon is super heavy duty and mine looks brand new after about 6 months of daily use, once you get it adjusted then pull it really, really tight into the buckle to form the webbing so it wont slip, or tape the tail to itself otherwise the adjustment goes all funky sometime

1700512630300.png

I'll have to give that some thought. I like leather belts, but they rot out from summer sweat. That might do the job.

IMG_20231120_135027546.jpg
Same prescription. One pair is ANSI rated. Total out of pocket cost for both pair, $240. Impossible? Or just youthful inexperience showing?

Also, y'all see them little green things on my clearies? They're a little silicone hook, slides onto the arm of the glasses and keeps them from falling. Those are Essential. They've saved me a ton of money.

These are my current glasses...

IMG_20231120_161054143.jpg

Note the constrictor at the top holding them together. They're only about a year old, and were supposed to be stainless, but they apparently used Chinesium screws, so I have a partial rotted screw in each section. Since the constrictor's working, I haven't wanted to screw with it. Junk... They're safety glasses, and have clip on sideguards, but I've never used them. I can't see for shit without glasses. I'd probably flip out if I was in a tricky position and lost them.

ive never had my glasses slide off my face from a lack of hooks
maybe just me? even with my head upside down where my glasses pop off my nose, they still stay stuck to my head
I'll have to give that some thought. I like leather belts, but they rot out from summer sweat. That might do the job.
only like $20 shipped, they seem to last a good long while, stay adjusted once you set them, I even leave mine in when I wash my cloggers, mine has endured a lot of sweat, mud, dirt, sunlight, etc, just be careful when chipping as these belts will not snap if a limb catches it, not sure about leather belts as I dont wear one, but just an observation I made, mine is rated to 24Kn

@Kaveman id suggest updating that profile pic to something that shows you wearing a helmet, and safety glasses before you try to tell anyone about PPE, currently all we see is you up a tree smoking, with no helmet and your glasses arent even over your face

I've had my glasses grabbed by branches. It's happened a couple times, and it's not like I'm climbing every day. Muffs help a lot for keeping them in place, but if it's warm out, my muffs aren't down unless I'm cutting, and sometimes not even then if it's a quickie.

im very protective about whats near my face lol, my face shield stays down unless im clear of any twigs and just hanging out for a few waiting on the crane to come back
lucky for me, if my glasses ever do fall and get broken then its probably time I go get my prescription updated anyways

I’m going to second Sean on a pickeroon/ hookeroon. I think @lxskllr called it a sappie. I bought one for messing with firewood rounds. Now I’ve got three or four floating around. One stays in the work truck and gets used fairly often on the job site.
dont forgot a small handheld pair of log tongs, I dont use them as much now but back when I had to manually load everything they were a lifesaver, I was also able to use one hand to grab and toss whole rounds, add in a pickeroon and its a wood flinging monster!

ive never had my glasses slide off my face from a lack of hooks
maybe just me? even with my head upside down where my glasses pop off my nose, they still stay stuck to my head

only like $20 shipped, they seem to last a good long while, stay adjusted once you set them, I even leave mine in when I wash my cloggers, mine has endured a lot of sweat, mud, dirt, sunlight, etc, just be careful when chipping as these belts will not snap if a limb catches it, not sure about leather belts as I dont wear one, but just an observation I made, mine is rated to 24Kn

@Kaveman id suggest updating that profile pic to something that shows you wearing a helmet, and safety glasses before you try to tell anyone about PPE, currently all we see is you up a tree smoking, with no helmet and your glasses arent even over your face
I'm not the one bashing the concept of PPE. I defended the principles.

Yep, no helmet in my profile pic. No saw either. I don't typically wear a helmet on rec climbs. It can also be dadgumed hard to see a phone screen with polarized lenses. Excuses are like aresholes, some folk have one, some folk are one. I take the risks I'm comfortable with, and encourage everyone to stay as safe as possible. I do not argue that PPE creates a negative feed back loop.

I gear up when I ride a motorcycle, not because it will prevent a crash, but because it will help mitigate some of the damage WHEN it happens.

Read through your own posts in this thread and tell me you don't sound overconfident and complacent. Yes, I smoke, but I daresay it's not near as dangerous a bad habit.

I'm not trying to dog on you bud, I just want to be able to argue with you when you've gone grey. Like @stig and his Phuckin latin names for everything... It's a dead language dude!

I gear up when I ride a motorcycle, not because it will prevent a crash, but because it will help mitigate some of the damage WHEN it happens.
ok I miss understood you, I do agree with that 100%
my point being, one may be more likely to do dumb stuff when safety equipment makes it "safe", these guys were cleaning gutters on a job I did a while back, they wouldnt get on the roof without dudeman holding the towstrap thing, why? because him holding it made them feel safe when in reality it was only making them more dangerous by being up there in the first place

1700532518569.png

That's dumb, and you are correct that in that case the "PPE" is only making matter worse. I guess we should be happy he's not relying on a large umbrella to "parachute" down.

Beams of timber, motes, eyes....Bible 101.
Take care of your own backyard first mate.

cant say I ever have thought to try that, did it atleast slow you down a little?
It had to have by some amount, but it was imperceptible to me. Pretty much the express route down. Like I said though, it was a rancher, so it was a pretty cheap lesson. Basically just felt stupid.

Back