Boom Trucks

mccauleytree

TreeHouser
My dad and I are in a position to purchase our first boom truck. We are looking between the 15-17 ton range with atleast 60 feet of boom. We want more stick but the prices really get up there once the booms hit about 80 feet. The truck will serve as a small crane/log truck. Here is an example of one what type of truck we are looking at. What do you guys think? Any recommendations on what to get?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2000-STERLI...M-/251039067254?pt=Cranes&hash=item3a73182c76

I say go for it but then again I know nothing about crane use, as in what to look for when buying, somebody else always had the crane.

Stay away from Maranuk Equipment, north of you in white haven. They have what you are after. They sell "shined shit".

I have ran those hauling fishing gear, never for trees but still a sweet rig

from working with a crane op they seem to be able to get in better positions its one of the spyder cranes rear mount

Maybe wait it out and save for a bigger one. I can't see that little amount of boom doing that much. What about a rear mount bucket, or dedicated log hauler instead?

I dream of getting rid of the truck and chipper, having a rear mount BT and a rear mount grapple truck for debri.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Maybe wait it out and save for a bigger one. I can't see that little amount of boom doing that much. What about a rear mount bucket, or dedicated log hauler instead?

I dream of getting rid of the truck and chipper, having a rear mount BT and a rear mount grapple truck for debri.

Yea thats what we are probably going to do. The more we talked about it the more we want 80 foot of boom. We aren't in rush so we can save for a while longer and find one that will really fit our needs.

I would buy through a reputable dealer, not from ebay. Check with OTGBOSTON, I am sure he has a source close enough to you.

The crane company we use has one that they might sell. Not sure what chassis it is on but I do know that it is an 18ton with 82' of main and 30' jib. Since its raining here today I might run over and take a look at it.

You have to keep in mind the rating will be on short boom close in .It won't handle 36,000 pounds long boom extended over the side .

Every make of crane should have a chart which shows boom extension and angle and distance from center of boom . I tried to look up the boom in question but couldn't find any specs .

Every portable crane ,line truck whatever that I 've operated or have came in contact with had a chart attached in close proximty to the boom or point of operation of same.

Now this is not to say some bozo didn't paint over it making it impossible to read which does happen .

You have to keep in mind the rating will be on short boom close in .It won't handle 36,000 pounds long boom extended over the side .

Ya, if you think it's gonna pick the max tonnage up with no stipulations, you don't know squat about cranes. These ratings are formulated with multiple pulleys, high angles, etc. The winches are good for around 4 ton, so you have to use the boom only when dealing with anything larger. Your chart is your right hand man, but newer cranes have an LMI, so it tells you all you need. Never go close to capacity with tree work, this isn't static lifting and you don't really know what any piece will weigh.

My crane is 11 ton, 54' of stick, 65' hook height. Obviously the reach isn't what you really want, but it can still do a massive amount of work. The key with a small boom truck is that you need to get as close as possible to the tree.

I would much rather have a crane than a bucket, just for the simple fact that it saves my back from picking anything up. Plus clean up is centered around the chipper. I could go on and on about other pluses, but ideally you want a bucket, big chipper, etc.

However, cranes aren't for everyone. You need to have experience climbing for and/or running them to be safe, or you will have an epic screw up. Where you put your strap is the most important part, but there are so many other factors that must be accounted for. Just watch some of the goof ups on youtube. The OP has obviously worked with a crane company, so he should understand what it takes to do it safely. Some people just haven't had the opportunity to work with a crane and buying one with no experience isn't a good mix.

My ideal removal setup: 30 ton crane (still on a small enough chassis to get just about anywhere and not damage most driveways), 75'/80' elevator bucket truck, large Pete chip truck and a 20" morbark/bandit chipper.

We went to look at the truck today, it was an older ln8000 with stinger crane. Was in pretty good shape but its a lot older (I believe it was a 1987) than we wanted to go. We are going to keep looking for something.

Back