Big challenging elm coming up

rbtree

Climbing Up
DED got it....

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/eiFwO1f9Hlw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

We got the job.... but service to three houses needs to be dropped or rerouted. Ness Crane will supply their 55 ton truck mount unit. But City Light informed me that they would need $4000 to drop the lines, if they showed up at 7 am, and restrung them sometime after 4 pm. So I asked them what the charge, if any, would be if they do the drops at the normal time, but two days in a row. This would allow us to rig out a fair bit of the brush on day one, and then crane the tough limbs and wood on day two. She will let me know. I hope they will do that for the normal charge, which is zero.... Urban Hardwoods has committed to purchase the wood for $1500, and pay for it being picked up and delivered to their lot by Marilyn's Recycle.

A facebook commenter suggested supplying a generator for one neighbor who would be affected, and leaving their power down overnight... My client, whose property is on the water, and worth $4-8m, said that he has a generator.... and his phone and cable lines will remain up, as they're not in the way. And I can R&R the phone/cable lines myself to the other two houses.

The tree is 14'5" in circumference, with a couple really long and heavy laterals, plus some brittle dead wood in the top, and with that fancy landscape underneath, a crane is really needed to get the hard brush down, and, of course for the wood, as it is being bought by www.urbanhardwoods.com .

If we had to rig that tree down, I think it would take 3-4 days, and cost $12-16k, plus wood removal costs. Whaddya say, Reg?

With crane assist, I'm thinking $5000 labor...expecting it to take two short days. But I think I'm going to tell the client that $6000 for labor might be needed. I haven't provided a written estimate yet, but told him $5000, maybe less. Other fees will be the road closure, permit and signage--which, for a truck mount boom truck, should be $500 or less. It's a corner, and no homes will be cut off from accessing their driveways. And Urban Hardwoods said they would take some of the smaller wood, under 12"...but since I don't like chipping much material over 6", as it fills ups the truck too quickly, I'll probably allow another $500-650 for a trash truck to take the smaller wood. Dead elm is supposed to be chipped, burned or buried and not used for firewood, due to the elm beetle DED problem.

Good luck on the bid, hope u get the job, lookin forward to the video of removal

That was a scarey lookin cat!

Looks like a good bid Roger. I really like Dave from hardwoods a lot, but if he flakes for any reason, I'd go with David Kienholz from Green Tree Mill.

Good guy. Their office is 206-216-tree. His cell: 253-317-6915. He's got a really powerful metal detector to see if that pig's got any hails.

Looks good , Roger.

It's almost as if people really wait to pull the trigger on buying tree work until the first wind and rain.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Good luck on the bid, hope u get the job, lookin forward to the video of removal

That was a scarey lookin cat!

I have the job.... though I haven't firmed up the labor price, which I'm quite inclined to raise to 6k....

That cat was super cool. I'd move a bit, he'd follow..or back off...... I'd home in with the camera, he'd stare...and pose....... he was skittish.. but I did manage to get close enough to tickle his ear once. I prolly fired 75 shots of the little tyke!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Looks like a good bid Roger. I really like Dave from hardwoods a lot, but if he flakes for any reason, I'd go with David Kienholz from Green Tree Mill.

Good guy. Their office is 206-216-tree. His cell: 253-317-6915. He's got a really powerful metal detector to see if that pig's got any hails.

Don't much care for him..... seldom returns calls. Plus, Meyer Wells has shifted their focus to "mass produced" live edge furniture, as they couldn't compete with Urban..... The one time he did get a a log, it was like pulling teeth for my customer to get him to pay up. which wasn't much, but it wasn't a great log..... smallish Garry oak.....

If you even think so, do it!

I disagree, in this case it's best to stick with 5k in Labor Roger, because you already told him 5K or less for it. He's covering the crane? A thousand bucks isn't a huge difference, more a reminder when not to throw out $ numbers early in the game, I'm sure it will go smooth once you get into it...

Back