Big poplar wreck

RegC

TreeHouser
Theres not much to say about the job to make it sound interesting really. Just a big crappy tree which was in decline. I had some restrictions down below.... like a duck pond, a fence, the neighbours garden and some adjacent trees. Some rigging, small free falling, and then some big bombs to finish.

Two really good guys, both climbers, Dave and Darryl on the ground.

I got about 50 pics here, or there abouts. I'll try to put them through several posts, as opposed to one that might crash right at the end. I got some great video too but thats for another time. Thanks for your patience.

DSC03323.JPG DSC03346.JPG DSC03392.JPG DSC03427.JPG DSC03438.JPG DSC03446.JPG DSC03456.JPG DSC03461.JPG DSC03480.JPG DSC03528.JPG DSC03531.JPG DSC03532.JPG

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks guys. what a difference blue skies make for photos aye.

Kee-rist, I don't believe I've ever seen a climber look so damn small up in a tree. Just wow.

Ha, no wonder that tree cleared your head. I think had you even been suffering from a bad case of schizophrenia, you would have been completely sane upon arrival back to terra firma

Great job

How did that monstrous mess get cleaned up?

They're getting a machine in Cory, or something. We just had to get it reasonably organised. Thanks

But since we know you are well adjusted and have robust mental health, did you notice any unusual sudden facility with a foreign language, Chinese for example, when you returned to earth. Any speaking in tongues, any unexpected insights into the origin of the universe, anything at all like that after dusting that monster??

But since we know you are well adjusted and have robust mental health, did you notice any unusual sudden facility with a foreign language, Chinese for example, when you returned to earth. Any speaking in tongues, any unexpected insights into the origin of the universe, anything at all like that after dusting that monster??

Nothing that exciting Im afraid. I called in at the liquor store for some beer, went home and watched TV.

Nice work, Reg! I assume that was a black cottonwood, populus macrocarpa, right?

I should try to hustle up a big one here... but I doubt the HO will go for the price. I told him, a few years back, it would be about $20k..... 160 footer, 5 foot on the butt, with an understory. Requires close to a 200 ton crane, and a complete road closure, could only be done during school holidays....

Great work and pictures Reg. Sorry if I missed it, too busy looking at the pics, but what was the height in that there bad boy?

You sure looked small up there!

Cheers mate.

Nice tree and really fine pictures.
That one must have been a pleasure to work on.
Nice and straight forward, just BIG.

Great work and pictures Reg. Sorry if I missed it, too busy looking at the pics, but what was the height in that there bad boy?

You sure looked small up there!

Cheers mate.
thanks Rich, I'd say between 130-140. I could be wrong but somewhere in that region.

Yes Stig, big but uncomplicated. I had a tougher day (physically) deadwooding 50 ft oaks the day before.

Nice work, Reg! I assume that was a black cottonwood, populus macrocarpa, right?

I should try to hustle up a big one here... but I doubt the HO will go for the price. I told him, a few years back, it would be about $20k..... 160 footer, 5 foot on the butt, with an understory. Requires close to a 200 ton crane, and a complete road closure, could only be done during school holidays....

Pardon me Rog, I missed that earlier. Im not so familiar with PNW black poplars, so I wouldn't know the exact species. This group are about 80 years old I believe.

Back