Maine

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Awesome!

Dang I haven't dipped a toe in a Maine river....SMH!

Have you been to Baxter Park?

Yep, Baxter is beautiful. I hiked katahdin last summer, over the knife's edge trail!

Did some good trout fishing too. The rustic cabins on ponds there are a nice way to do it, daicey pond has a really cool view of the mountain.

8) 8)

Enquiring minds want to know: which is more super cool- the extremely long and awesome coast of Maine, or the extremely huge and amazing interior of Maine???!!!???

I prefer the coast, but many folks would rather be in the woods. Nice thing about Maine is that you can do both in a weekend.

I'm pretty surprised to see that license plate! Where was that taken?

Nice thing about Maine is that you can do both in a weekend.
My vote is for the woods. That's what I like about MD also. I'm a fairly trivial drive away from mountains, ocean, and everything in between. Lots of stuff to do outside. Bad part is population density, at least where I'm at. I think I'd rather be in Maine.

Another Maine story...our sailboat was a three masted staysail schooner (designed and built by my hubby)
We needed to clean the bottom as we'd been cruising for a while and it was dirty with moss and barnacles, 53' x 6' x2 is a lot of bottom and we couldn't afford to haul it. Maine has a huge tidal drop so we decided to beach her and scrub it ourselves.
So we motored up to the head of Soames Sound and dropped anchor close to shore. With three masts we had 10 halyards and sheets available so we took three halyards off one side, joined them together and tied off to a small public dock...three halyards off the other side and tied to a tree.
In effect the boat was bow in to the shore and supported on either side by halyards from the tops of the masts.
As the tide went out we adjusted the tension on the halyards, she settled on her keel and we kept her upright with the halyards. The tide left her 100% high and dry, out came the scrubbing brushes and buckets and we got to work.
Soon we started to notice a stream of cars and pickups coming by for a look, people pointing and gesticulating...we stopped for a moment to see what the fuss was and realized it was us...the tops of the masts were hidden in fog and no-one could see the supporting halyards, all they could see was a big ass sailboat sitting high and dry on its keel apparently completely unsupported with people underneath scrubbing away!!! I have a picture somewhere...

The other fun things wasn't he world famous cruising sailors and authors Hal and Margaret Roth were up there too...my hubby and they had met years ago and sailed about Bermuda...the came over and got stuck in and helped us with the scrubbing!

Ohhh yes! Many times! Soo funny! And we met the chap who bought the boat from him...the answer to the inevitable question was ' yes it still leaks' haha ha.
Farley Mowat is one of my favourite authors.

Good stuff, folks. Except for that plate; I doubt any state would allow that

That is awesome. How far are you from Freeport

20 miles from Freeport. I try not to go there in the summer, it's starting to quiet down now though.

Care to elaborate Jim?

Dang Ruel, I thought you were way further up the coast. Next summer, we in!! :drink: 8) :boogie:

Hail yeah!!:lol:

Corey: You say, "Like anywhere, Maine has it's issues." Care to elaborate?

I notice that you and Sean (Sean spoke of, "exploitation.") are reluctant to speak about the negative. I'm gonna have to start calling you guys Buckin Billy Ray unless you spill the beans.

Back