Big poplar wreck

It was too far for the guys to flick the rigging line back to me where I was perched. So I set a second, long sling and put just above my lanyard and ran the line thought it. I took off about 5 limbs around that point. They still swing right over to the main rigging point, but I just pull on that second sling when I need the line back. It didn't need to be a pulley even, a carabiner will do fine on its own.

Thanks...I had to watch it again several times to see how that worked...very good. I just learned a trick for those far away rigging points.

That was super cool. Real nice. I love the last shot with the spar flop and the camera getting jostled.

It was too far for the guys to flick the rigging line back to me where I was perched. So I set a second, long sling and put just above my lanyard and ran the line thought it. I took off about 5 limbs around that point. They still swing right over to the main rigging point, but I just pull on that second sling when I need the line back. It didn't need to be a pulley even, a carabiner will do fine on its own.

Nice trick, Yoda....done it now and then, but sometimes you need several feet of length, so I've used the end of my lanyard, or lifeline, or even a separate length of line. Just gotta make sure it's plenty long, so as not to come tight during the rigging operation...works well for speed lining..

That was super cool. Real nice. I love the last shot with the spar flop and the camera getting jostled.

Yep. I won't be taking chances like that with my camera gear! My cheaper Canon 7D is due for an upgrade, so it's expendable, sort of, but I could probably sell it for $700. It cost $1600, and when the new model comes out in a few weeks, it will likely come in between $1800-2200...and I'll be buying one eventually. Plus, I just upgraded my wide angle lens to the brand new model, to the tune of $1200...will sell my old one for ~$500. And replaced my stolen 70-200 for $2600.....

Still want a POV camera or three for the ease of remote mounting they offer, and the relatively low expenditure required. And, I wanna be like Reg....and Bix....and August.....

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I only have/use one headcam on a job Rog. 'Only' if its convenient and we well ahead of the game I'll ask the guys to set up my traditional style vid cam on the ground, as was the case here. We gotta get the job done, first and foremost. Thats what I get paid for.

Youve been saying about pov cameras for years now, Rog....just get one! Mines the Drift Ghost s. 2 hour battery life, plus playback screen. Only thing lets it down are the mountings could be stronger.

Incredible video. Coldplay took me back to me early 20's and my first love...... Bittersweet.

I call that a "haul-back" line. What about you guys. This frees up the groundie sooner. They don't have to fuss with the rope, you can get it back when you are ready, rather that as it coordinates with ground work.

I call that a "haul-back" line. What about you guys? This frees up the groundie sooner. They don't have to fuss with the rope, you can get it back when you are ready, rather that as it coordinates with ground work.

Yep. I won't be taking chances like that with my camera gear! My cheaper Canon 7D is due for an upgrade, so it's expendable, sort of, but I could probably sell it for $700. It cost $1600, and when the new model comes out in a few weeks, it will likely come in between $1800-2200...and I'll be buying one eventually. Plus, I just upgraded my wide angle lens to the brand new model, to the tune of $1200...will sell my old one for ~$500. And replaced my stolen 70-200 for $2600.....

Still want a POV camera or three for the ease of remote mounting they offer, and the relatively low expenditure required. And, I wanna be like Reg....and Bix....and August.....

Here's your answer for an inexpensive sports camera.

http://www.amazon.com/AFUNTA-Waterp...219419?s=photo&ie=UTF8&qid=1407631593&sr=1-10

I own two, and the quality of the video is really very good, in my humble opinion. It comes with all sorts of attachments included in the price, but you'll have to spend another $20 on a 32 gig microSD card, I think it's called. Also, when it's inside the weatherproof case, the microphone won't record well enough; but it came with a little device that I had trouble figuring out the purpose of, initially.

After experiencing the problem with inadequate sound recording, I started looking at what Go-Pro does for similar issues, and saw this open sided camera holder. I thought, "Oh, that's what that odd looking thing I had in my Afunta camera box was for!" It turns out the open-sided camera support is included with the original purchase, as well as a way to attach the camera to a tripod or camera support screw. I just put a 1/4-20 threaded bolt through the slot in my helmet, and used some of the various connectors to get it to a height and degree of movement that worked for me. Also, all of the Go-Pro attachments are compatible with the attachments I got in the box with this camera, just in case you need to run to a local Best Buy to pick up something else on short notice.

I purchased a couple of extra batteries and another charger to go with it. The camera will run for about 90 minutes on a single fully charged battery. A 32 gig memory card will hold about 4.5 hours of video when recorded at 720p, 60 frames per second, which is how I use it. It's also capable of recording at 1080p, 30 frames per second, as a default setting. It also includes a small LCD screen, and will play back video. It shoots stills as well, and has an intervalometer function, I believe.

Whew! Thanks for listening! At less than $100, I wouldn't think twice about buying one of these cameras. :thumbup:

Tim

Tim,

Thanks for the tip about that camera...I have been holding off on a GoPro, wondering if they will come out with version 4 soon.

The Afunta sounds worth trying...I have some underwater filming I need to do so I may try this. Can you post some of your video made with the camera?

Any underwater samples of your videos?

Reg, I just found this. Beautifully done job and video!!
Big cottonwoods [mine not as BIG as yours:)] are great TIP trees and heavy heavy wood.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Reg, I just found this. Beautifully done job and video!!
Big cottonwoods [mine not as BIG as yours:)] are great TIP trees and heavy heavy wood.

Thanks Wil, Chris, Justin and others. Glad to have created a positive thread.

Afunta cam

Tim,

Thanks for the tip about that camera...I have been holding off on a GoPro, wondering if they will come out with version 4 soon.

The Afunta sounds worth trying...I have some underwater filming I need to do so I may try this. Can you post some of your video made with the camera?

Any underwater samples of your videos?

Hello, Gary. I've only had the cameras for a few weeks. I have no video that has been shot underwater, but I thought I'd read in one of the Amazon customer reviews that the flat glass in the water resistant case is even better than what comes with the GoPro, because the Afunta case has a lens port that uses flat glass or plastic, whereas the GoPro does not.

I don't think I've ever in my life posted a video online as of yet, so you'll have to be a little patient with me while I learn how to do it for the first time. All of the video I've shot so far is up in a tree. It may take me a few days to figure out how to post video, but I'll give it a go. Thank you for your interest.

:thumbup:

Tim

P.S. I just uploaded my first video to YouTube. Nothing special. I played it back through YouTube after I'd finished uploading it, and it appears to me that there are artifacts and a loss of sharpness in the video compared to the original video footage, so posting it does not do it justice, in my opinion. When I play the original file back on my laptop, it appears to be 20 or 25% sharper than the YouTube version, if it's even possible to quantify it.

I may have cursed a bit in this video, so if that offends, just skip it. I may try to upload other examples later, but to me, it's kind of pointless, since I've so far not been impressed with the fidelity of the YouTube version.

Here's the link.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMIxDB_czG0&feature=player_detailpage

Sorry about not just embedding the video, new to all this and trying to do it quick and easy.

Tim....thanks for the follow-up. I watched your video....quality looks fine to me...better than what I have been getting with my old Sony.

I ordered the SJ4000 just like you have...hope to do some underwater work with it soon.

Here is your video embedded:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/kMIxDB_czG0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Most smartphones won't let you post vids - dunno why.

If you're on a PC, here's how to embed videos;

1) Do NOT copy/paste the page url.
2) Click the "share" button - a embed button will appear underneath/to the left.
3) Scroll down and click the "embed" button - a blue highlighted address will appear.
4) Copy/paste THAT address in your post.

I've taken a quick glance and can't seem to find the "share button" to embed videos, where is it? Can video's be uploaded or they can only be linked to another service that plays the videos?

Thanks, Peter

Here's how to embed videos;

2) Click the "share" button - a embed button will appear underneath/to the left.
3) Scroll down and click the "embed" button - a blue highlighted address will appear.

Here's how to embed videos;

Where's the share button? I can't find it.

Thanks, Peter

Yep, on the youtube page...you may have to scroll down a bit under the video screen. Click "share" and and embed URL appears...copy that URL and post it in the T-House reply box.

Back