The official "Welcome New Members" thread!

Name is Treeboat from SE TN in Smokies. New in the last year to climbing, but been taking care of my own forests for last 12 years. Just finished the Tree Climbers International "Tree Workers School" with Peter "Treeman" Jenkins and Andrew from MA as his assistant. Awesome and informative 5 day intense school. Peter & Andrew know their stuff and impart the safety aspect at every turn. Came away very impressed with program. I am also learning a lot just trolling through this forum from you guys that work in this industry daily. I'm just taking it slow and practicing every aspect of safety and gear use. I'm 61 but in good shape and no weight on yet, still weigh the same as I did @ 25. Exercise & yoga daily sit ups and push up and will start pull ups next week. Got to keep the machine running!8)thank you for this forum and opportunity to learn from you all.

Welcome to the TreeHouse! What is your first name? Mine is Butch.

Make yourself at home!!! :beer:

thanks for the welcome Ray & Fiddler. I am excited to be here and learn from all of you wise/experienced tree climbers and arborists. I have spent 40 years rigging large machinery in and out of commercial vessels and yachts so pretty familiar with that aspect of things, just need to adapt to the specifics of tree work. Felling trees from the ground for 12yrs. now, and built a 7K lbs. hydraulic logging winch and dozer blade combo for my small articulated tractor and a hydraulic log grapple to handle the pick up work. Was always a safety tyrant in my shipyard business and will transfer that to this new endeavor. so just taking it low and slow with the climbing aspect. thanks to all in advance

Hello all, I recently chimed in on another thread regarding a members concerns on eab. Thought I'd introduce myself. I've been lurking here for quite some time...My name is Ian Pendergast-White. I run a business called Aerial Arborist Solutions Inc. I live in Ashmore, IL. It's bout an hour south of Champaign (where U of I is located.) I've been playing in, and having an appreciation for the woods, since I was a kid.

I played soccer for a couple years in college on a scholarship. Then, I got tired of running all day everyday and transferred to SIU Carbondale into the forestry program. At that point, I pretty much swapped soccer for rock climbing. Through rock climbing I got into ice climbing. I ended up working at the climbing wall at the university. Over time, I got a graduate assistantship running the Outdoor Adventure Program aspect of SIUC while I got my masters degree in forestry. While all this was going on (grad school) I trained the guides for SIUC. My guides were trained in anything including but not limited to: climbing, canoeing/kayaking, caving, backpacking, whitewater rafting, wilderness survival, wilderness medicin, etc. I ended up getting on with the Jackson County Ambulance Service's high angle rescue team and went through some extensive training for technical high angle/rope rescue. At the same time I was going to grad school, working for SIUC, working for Jackson county, owned a guide service, and was the President of the Illinois Climbers Association. A few days before I was going to start the PhD program, I dipped out and headed back to the CO/WY area where I had been spending my summers guiding. After a bit out there, I came back to spend a summer with my ailing grandpa and take an EMT class while I was here anyway.

Since then, I've moved back to IL and kinda been blending the technical rope/rigging knowledge I've been fortunate enough to gather and some of the stuff from my forestry education. I ended up staying in Illinois after I met the amazing woman who ended up being my wife and the mother of my son.

I run a small tree company back here in Illinois now. I've been an ISA Certified Arborist for 5 years or so. We do anything from crane removals to consultation, to pruning, to various sorts of phc.

Most importantly, my son is almost 21 months old and he and my wife are my priority every single day. My business has gotten so busy to the point of being thoroughly overwhelming, but I make it a point to spend as much time with them as possible everyday!

So.... I know that was super to the point and not overwhelmingly friendly. But, I've been meaning to tell ya'll who I am and what I do for a few days now. As I'm sitting on my porch and watching/listening to it rain, I figured I should go ahead and take care of that.

It's been a long day, but I wanted to throw all that out there. More importantly I wanted to say thank you to Butch for providing this and thanks to everyone who I have learned so much from, and thanks to everyone who has made me feel so welcome here already!

I really look forward to being able to continue to enjoy a cold one and catch up and learn from all of you guys!

Again, thanks so much for the opportunity and letting me be a part of your community!!!

Hope everyone is having a great night!!!

Thank you squisher and cursedvoyce. Oddly enough, and I shit you not, I thought of both of you at a job today. Working on a big contract for a big wig, multi billionaire dude who owns a big phone company. He only comes back to this place few times a year. Friday, I packed up equipment and walked off the site due to disrespectful actions by the property manager. This has since been addressed. Nonetheless, that made me think of how "squish" woulda dealt with this dude.

Today was pruning a nasty sycamore full of 1/4" ( and obviously way bigger) deadwood, and previously riddled with anthracnose that we have since got under control with propiconazole. Again, thought of Stephen (I hope that's the right spelling and name for cursedvoyce). Thought, "man, I bet he would climbed this pos out to the tips and done some bad ass fine pruning, where I was pissy doing it out of the bucket.

Haha. Anyhow. Thank you both. Hope you're well.

Thanks MB! Glad you can give us all this opportunity! Appreciate everything you do to keep this rollin! Stay cool down there brother!

Spelled right...
Squish is a cool dude...
Probably would have climbed all over it...
But I too would probably been heard being pissy about my pole pruner rope getting tangled in everything whilst nipping tips between silly songs sung to keep my humour. :D

Haha. I'm sure you are a nice guy squish. I got not doubt bout that. I'd also bet you don't take much shit from idiots. I was just saying the whole deal made me think of how you woulda dealt with it cause I remember reading some of your posts bout stuff regarding dealing with customers. To say the least, I don't think you woulda appreciated how this guy was going about some stuff. Nonetheless, it's all good now. Well, for now anyway. Kinda putting up with more shit than I normally would due to who the client is. Well, more like putting up with shit cause of how his bank account is, not who he is. Still not real sure how I feel about it. Just trying to get through this section of the project. Making the best of it for now.

Stephen, cracks me up about singing songs. I rarely do it when I got other guys around. Guys were doing different stuff on a different section of the property yesterday while I was pruning the sycamore. But, I found myself making up songs and singing out loud yesterday. Pretty funny stuff. Nothing like crackin yourself up I guess!!

SouthSoundTree...What's your name man? It escapes my mind right now. Sorry. I've read a lot of your posts, so I feel kinda rude not remembering. Hard day. Feeling kinda brain dead.... I'm assuming you know some climbing folk down there? When were you there? If you were around the climbing scene at any point in the past 30 years, there's a damn good chance that we know some of the same folks. Even your profile pic makes me think you look familiar. Small world huh?

Edit: Sorry Sean. I see the name now.

Back