Official Random Fact/Random Thought Thread!

I’d imagine in urban areas, the fork is not unpopular.

I’m aware of what the left hand is for. I’m happy to have TP and hot soapy water.

I like flatware. More specifically, spoons. If I could have one utensil, it would be a spoon. I *hate* messy food, and getting food on me pisses me off. In no particular order, and very incomplete, these foods in particular can frig off...

BBQ ribs
steamed crabs
meatball subs
deep dish pizza(never mind it isn't real pizza anyway, and was invented by psychopaths)
Buffalo wings
mango

I get the need for spoons and knives. Ain’t no one cutting food with their body parts or picking up liquid like consistency foods with their fingers.

Deep dish shouldn’t exist.
I don’t care for steamed crabs and hate the prices they command.
Wings and ribs is good!
Mango good!
Meatballs have that beef taste I don’t like.

I like flatware. More specifically, spoons. If I could have one utensil, it would be a spoon. I *hate* messy food, and getting food on me pisses me off. In no particular order, and very incomplete, these foods in particular can frig off...

BBQ ribs
steamed crabs
meatball subs
deep dish pizza(never mind it isn't real pizza anyway, and was invented by psychopaths)
Buffalo wings
mango

Those are fighting words! :O

I will just chalk it up to the potential lack of good pizza options near you. :P My wife has family in Kansas City and they think Casey's gas station pizza is the best ever. Woof! We are very spoiled with good pizza and Mexican food here.

Jeez, guys!
Pizza didn't originate in the US.
Napoli, folks.
And it is NOTHING like the soft, smothered in cheese thing y'all call Pizza.

Those are fighting words! :O

I will just chalk it up to the potential lack of good pizza options near you. :P My wife has family in Kansas City and they think Casey's gas station pizza is the best ever. Woof! We are very spoiled with good pizza and Mexican food here.
I saw where you call home and understand your love for deep dish. It does tend to be a Chicago and upper northeast thing. Not saying it’s right, but I understand;)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I have a neighbor and friend who is a fellow Christian that said he and his family honor God by using utensils as it shows we are separate from the animals.
We are animals. Not sure what that's all about.

Your anecdotes about using your hands is very interesting. I do know that this an extremely common practice throughout different parts of the world and, quite honestly, it should never be frowned upon...but it typically is in the United States and associated with heathenism.

I honestly prefer using utensils. It allows me to a) create MUCH less of a mess, b) is more sanitary/less cross-contamination between myself and foods, c) easier to clean a fork or spoon than my hands and, also, I prefer to clean a utensil over my hands when eating, d) utensils more easily direct my food into my mouth but, I suppose, if I were to practice eating with my hands more, it might prove to be just as efficient.

If I could have one utensil, it would be a spoon.
If I could only use one utensil for the remainder of my life, it would be a SPORK.

Jeez, guys!
Pizza didn't originate in the US.
Napoli, folks.
And it is NOTHING like the soft, smothered in cheese thing y'all call Pizza.
Loosely related to your comment: Interestingly, pasta is believed to have been created first in China (not in Italy as many presume) during the Shang dynasty between 1700-1100 BC, where pasta was made with rice or wheat flour. Other evidence suggests that pasta was a part of the ancient Greek diet since the first millennium BC.

Everyone! Thank you for your contribution to, and enthusiasm for, my thread! I really appreciate all of your posts! Wishing you all the best of fortune!

The beast has been awakened, I must do the thing...

Pineapple on Pizza?

I say yes.

Let the beatings begin!
Pineapple on pizza is pretty good, but it would never be my actual choice when ordering one or making one. Sardines, however, are icky...in my humble opinion. I take a hard pass on seafood 10/10 times. I have a few exceptions, though, like grilled sea bass or a tuna steak. Those are delicious.

Pineapple... I make more fun of it than it deserves. I don't find it as repulsive as I indicate, but it isn't something I want on pizza. I like my pizzas savory only, no sweetness. I'm like that with all my food. I like my real food sans sugar, and desserts sweet. Jalapeño and onion is the best pizza, but I can do anchovy too. Anything that isn't sweet is fine.

Random Fact: The study of surveying the seafloor is known as bathymetry. This used to be done by using a length of rope with a lead weight on the end of it. However, today, this is done with a variety of different methods, most notably multibeam sonar, side scan sonar, and acoustic imagery.

HOWEVER, more recently, satellites are now able to map the seafloor using remote sensing techniques. One technique is called satellite altimetry, which involves sending a radar pulse and measuring the time it takes for the reflection to be detected. This technique provides information about the ocean floor's shape and structure, the ocean's heat and salt content, and the ocean's currents.

The way it works for seafloor mapping is, wherever the ocean goes over a tall geological feature on the seafloor, the waves above the feature are actually detectably higher than areas where there are lower geological features! So, the waters above a mountain under the sea are actually taller (or closer to the source of the satellite signal) than the waves above a marine trench, which are lower, allowing scientists to map the seafloor based solely upon the height of the ocean relative to other parts of the ocean nearby!

Isn't that insane?! =-D

Why does an outlet with open neutral read 87v, or right around there?

Is it some standard ratio of how much voltage is induced into a wire that isn't connected?

"An open neutral outlet voltage reading of 87 volts could indicate a phantom voltage to a completely open neutral. This could be due to a bad connection, such as a loose neutral termination or a faulty neutral splice. Other causes of low voltage at an outlet include: loose wiring, an overloaded circuit, a tripped breaker, and issues within the wall wiring.

Here are some steps you can try to find the problem:
  1. Turn off the breaker
  2. Find all devices and lights that are off or reading 0 volts
  3. Turn the breaker back on
  4. Trace the circuit
  5. Look for a place where the devices and fixtures are reading 120V nominal and the next device or fixture is reading 80V
  6. Check all splices and connections for a loose wire
You can also use a low impedance voltmeter or a separate load to confirm that you are reading a phantom voltage to a completely open neutral.

The industry generally considers 2 volts or less of neutral to ground voltage at the receptacle to be okay, while a few volts or more indicates overloading. 5 volts is seen as the upper limit."

I looked it up on the interwebs.

Yes it's from Italy, we stole it and desecrated it, and it's so much better now that we did. The Italian version is usually healthy and sophisticated, but we turned it into its own food group that can be purchased at almost every store with a roof. Our American out of the box thinking put the pizza in a box, and then went a giant step further and tossed the box in the freezer. We also took delivery to the next level, which naturally led to pizza delivery guys as a movie stock character, and most American movies will have at least 1 pizza scene.

Pizza preferences really go by area a lot of the time, and each large city has their preferred versions. Chicago is pretty much known for their deep dish stuffed pizzas, where a couple slices is a huge meal, absolutely heavenly. Something like this..... if this is wrong i don't wanna be right.

27983240_10155488738083031_8217702327673914254_o-5b48dcd146e0fb0037649f77-3962081615.jpg

"An open neutral outlet voltage reading of 87 volts could indicate a phantom voltage to a completely open neutral. This could be due to a bad connection, such as a loose neutral termination or a faulty neutral splice. Other causes of low voltage at an outlet include: loose wiring, an overloaded circuit, a tripped breaker, and issues within the wall wiring.

Here are some steps you can try to find the problem:
  1. Turn off the breaker
  2. Find all devices and lights that are off or reading 0 volts
  3. Turn the breaker back on
  4. Trace the circuit
  5. Look for a place where the devices and fixtures are reading 120V nominal and the next device or fixture is reading 80V
  6. Check all splices and connections for a loose wire
You can also use a low impedance voltmeter or a separate load to confirm that you are reading a phantom voltage to a completely open neutral.

The industry generally considers 2 volts or less of neutral to ground voltage at the receptacle to be okay, while a few volts or more indicates overloading. 5 volts is seen as the upper limit."

I looked it up on the interwebs.
that's what I found, but it doesn't explain why. Like o was saying, there must be some ratio of voltage transfer based on how the open circuit still conducts via induction. Even stranger in my case is that the hot wire is the open circuit, but with the same results. Strange because I wouldn't think that the neutral would induce current into the hot wire.

80V doesn't look like a phantom voltage, but what's going through an appliance on an other outlet for example. Maybe you have two outlets liked together in an Y mode which you aren't aware off, like an addition during a remodeling on the house/ room.
In my house I found that they modified the old circuitry with a new section. They cut the old corresponding part with a chisel directly inside the wall ! To top this hack job, they didn't even disconnect the remnants of the wires from the main circuit. So I got a bunch of hot destroyed wires covered by a bit of plaster ! Go find the cause if this had generated a recurrent tripping problem.

Random Fact: In 2005, NASA scientists calculated that the shift of water mass stored by the Three Gorges dam, in China, would increase the total length of the Earth's day by 0.06 microseconds and make the Earth slightly more round in the middle and flat on the poles.

Last edited:
Back