Official Random Fact/Random Thought Thread!

Reasonable approach. It all seems weird to me, but I don't really like talking to people. In any case, I don't see how it can not be a major complication in your life. Nothing about that would be easy, and you've got to concentrate on getting back north before you crisp up.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Reasonable approach. It all seems weird to me, but I don't really like talking to people. In any case, I don't see how it can not be a major complication in your life. Nothing about that would be easy, and you've got to concentrate on getting back north before you crisp up.
Okay, Dad! I will! =-P

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Random Fact:

Who FIRST created and developed, then put to market the frozen food concept?

Clarence Birdseye (1886-1956) is credited with inventing the quick freezing method in 1924, which produces the type of frozen foods that we know today.

1713886580182.jpeg

Birdseye, an American inventor, entrepreneur, and naturalist, is considered the founder of the modern frozen food industry. In 1912 Birdseye went to Labrador, where he took up work as a fur trader; he continued this work intermittently until 1917. In Labrador, people often froze food in the winter because of the difficulty of obtaining fresh food; this solution to their problem spurred Birdseye’s imagination.

His summary biography and details about his discoveries regarding frozen foods and refrigeration can be found in the link below (you could also find it on Wikipedia, I'm sure; I try not to use them whenever possible). This guy is UNDERRATED.

Last edited:
Random thought... I was just thinking I have a bunch of brush in the backyard I want to get rid of. I then thought "Hey! You have a chipper now!". Problem is I have too many trees, and can't get the chipper back there. However! With a few redirects, I bet I could winch the chipper to the backyard. That would give me a reason to buy a winch and try something ridiculous.

Or I could wait for it to dry and use the burn barrel. That's more sensible, but not as much fun as a winch.

I have a bolt-on swivel caster for my chipper tongue for the rare need.

Using slightly/ somewhat above- horizontal redirects might help. Don't dump it over backwards if the tongue is light.

Yup, usually easier to bring the brush to the chipper, and then haul the chips back if you need them for something. Also if you let them sit for a few weeks or so before chipping the leaves will dry and fall off, so you have clean chips for mulch.

Yea, that's an option I guess. That puts everything in the wrong place though. Where I have the brush stockpiled is also a good place to blow chips. They could either sit there til I wanted to use them, or spread them out to help smother the ivy. I'll give that some thought. I can lose chips out front. Makes it less of an interesting exercise, and more like brute force work, though it's a couple grand cheaper.

You might be able to use a riding mower or something to move the chipper back there, likely with a trailer dolly because of the tongue weight. I welded a trailer ball on the front of my zero turn for moving trailers, we had a rental house that we kept the bass boat at and making the turn to get it in the garage was a nightmare, so that was the easy fix. It was on pavement tho, dirt and grass would make it harder, but I'll drag small stuff like welders around the backyard with it all the time. My neighbor has one of old school baby tractors, they are far more capable than your run of the mill mower.

What happened to it? They're usually pretty easy to fix. I just did my push mower this week, it had lost the bolt that holds the blade on so it wouldn't run because the blade acts as the flywheel. A bit of ether to get it running long enough to suck the new gas and naphtha mix in (really cuts down on pulling it a bunch) and it runs like a dream again. The wife even took over so i could shower and finish making dinner so i could relax :)

There's a couple problems. First, is has carb issues. I can probably work around that. Second, when I was trying to get it going last time I tried, I lost my temper, yanked the shift handle "vigorously"( :^D ), and it quit trying to start altogether. I think that's some safety electronics. Should be easy. Lastly, I have a broken front axle. That's the most fatal problem, cause it would cost more than I want to put into it unless I find a free, or nearly free carcass somewhere. I think I can hack something together that would be good enough for a straightforward chipper hauling machine. It's basically go straight, and a couple easy turns. I don't know if there's enough tractor to pull the chipper, but if I can fix it (nearly)free, it would be worth trying.

You'll have to hunt the electronics down if that disabled it, and you can usually bypass them if a component broke. You can buy a new carb pretty cheap or fix that one, and you are around all sorts of guys welding all day, a 12 pack or so and that'll be a super easy fix. If not you basically have a huge winch ready to go, a big motor, multispeed transmission, and a rear end to act as a clutch. By braking one side the other side will turn, and releasing the one sided brake it'll free spool. If you wanted to use rope you can also just weld one wheel to the axle, then it'll always be turning like the portable winch does. If there's still life left in it you could use it for all sorts of stuff yet

Our elderly Troybilt riding mower would still be mowing if the deck hadn't finally rusted so badly that I could no longer patch it together...and by then it was old enough that no decent condition replacement decks where available that I could find.

But it still sees very frequent duty pulling the 3x6 foot steering yard wagon. I even cut down an old set of tire chains to fit the rears, and with those on it will pull quite a heavy load on wet grass and slopes without spinning out. That might help with your ideas @lxskllr and @Tree09.

Here's a link to a thread about the wagon, but the Troybilt is there too, before the deck died.

Back