Traveling With Firearms

• Thread starter Mr. Sir
  • Start date
  • Replies 224
  • Views 16K
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I deleted my post because the guns I have are not EXACTLY the same as the Oswald rifle. They're called Carcano, but are actually Mannlicher-Schoenouer (sp).

Doesn't really matter, there are plenty of "mail-order" gun companies in the US. Cabelas, Cheaper-Than-Dirt are two that come to mind. Most modern guns must be shipped to a Federal Firearms Licensee who will do a background check on the final purchaser before releasing the weapon. This is obviously an effort to prevent known criminals from purchasing guns.

Many older or collectable type guns can be shipped directly to since I have a "Curio and Relic License."

Oh, and if I buy any kind of gun from another Florida resident it can be sent directly to me.

Also, as a Concealed Carry Permit holder there is no waiting period on any gun purchase.

And there is no type of gun registration either.

You're pretty much in the woods on this one.

america.jpg

Since it was brought to my attention...

Stig, that's funny: I get paid high dollar from lots of Europeons, who apparently I'm smarter than.

Who said he's going to a national park?

Just an assumption, something I don't normally do.:hammer: But if I was going to Colorado I think I'd be going to a couple, there is quite a few.8)

No worries, guns are now allowed in National Parks in states that allow concealed or open carry.

I figured you would know, that thread had me a bit puzzled with the different state rules and terms.

It's good that law has been sorted out. We have a similar one, no shooting/hunting in national parks but we don't have bears and mountain lions roaming around. It is allowed in national forests though.

I'd hate to think I'd ever get to the point I have the need to pack iron every time I leave the house .To each their own though .

Sheep and sheepdogs, Al. To each his own.

By the same principle that people need to carry guns, countries feel the need to have nuclear weapons. The damage zone is just larger.

You have to check the states .I know some states have adopted the so called Johnston pistol act .Others like Ohio as long as the ammo and firearm are in plain sight and so the ammo and firearm is not loadable with out leaving the passenger compartment it's perfectly legal to transport it .Meaning you could stick it in the trunk and be okay .

New Jersey used to be anal about firearms .When I went from Norfolk to New London I removed the hammer from the old Model 17 Marlin so it was non fireable in case I got some guff which I didn't .Then lost the freakin hammer and it took a tad bit to find another .

Unfortunately the passage of time has made that ambiguous. We no longer have militias per se. We no longer gather up all the men folk and have them bring their muzzle loaders to fend off incursions.

What a shocker. Darin feels that certain parts of the constitution are obsolete? Whatever. It IS our right as citizens of OUR country to possess firearms and carry them if we so choose. Anybody who does not like that, tough shit.

Funny when you stop and think about it .The framers of the constitution did pretty good and put a lot of thought into it .Especially when you consider many were booze hounds and whore dogs .They evidently must have some how found some time to get-er-done though .:)

Your laws sounds similar to that of ours in Canada Stig. After a 2 day briefing and basic practical handling test, I can own shotguns, crossbows, rifles and handguns. To transport a handgun it is supposed to be to and from the range only. Rifles and shotguns are permitted to be transported so long as you have a reasonable reason like a hunting excursion. The license for possessing firearms is also needed to buy ammo. The hunting license is separate from the gun ownership papers. It involves another basic briefing followed by a short exam focusing mainly on prey ID and reading the maps for hunting areas etc. Once you have your hunter # (after passing the test), its a matter of buying the specific license to hunt the animal in question, ducks, deer, etc.

A couple things Paul, maybe you can correct me if I'm mis-informed. After getting your RPAL, you'll still need to apply for a transport permit(ATT) before being able to purchase/own a handgun, even if it's just to get it home. At this point in time I believe that you'll be looked over quite closely to make sure you're squeeky clean. Than the handgun will only be able to ever be transported as laid out in the permit. As in to and from the range in the most direct route possible, no stopping for a cold one at the pub afterwards, that sort of thing. I have heard that it is possible to get a ATT that covers entire provinces say if you're a competition shooter or go to many gun shows and such.

And as I remember from my course I thought we were allowed to carry/transport long guns as long as they aren't concealed. I don't recall the 'needing a good reason' clause. I remember being a smartass and asking from his description of the regs if I could wander down mainstreet with a rifle slung over my shoulder and if I'm remembering correctly the conclusion was that it would be legal if it was unloaded, but very strongly not recommended and almost certain to get you atleast detained.

Also if you can prove you have a reason long guns can be kept unlocked in your home. Say for predator protection if you're on a farm.

Plus very soon thanks in large part to strong gun lobbys there will be no more long gun registry in Canada and the current government is also planning to destroy all the info they already have.

Also concealed carry does exist in Canada on a very limited basis. You will need a really, really, really good reason to ever get the permit. Non-concealed carry can also be a part of the handgun permit(ATT) if it's useful say in the course of your work, like as a hunting guide in Grizzly country, surveyor in the backcountry or something similar. Than the gun could be carried on your side ready to rock and roll unconcealed only in the woods or wherever the permit stated, transport to and from that area would still be in a locked case.

I like guns, it scares me even up here how easy they are to have. A weekend course, a short wait, and you can walk into the store and walk out with a very lethal set-up.

I am glad for the laws up here, as with even the smallest of hoops to jump through it keeps alot of the riff-raff from every owning firearms.

I really like guns, but honestly I don't want every dofus owning one.

And this is where every dofus starts screaming that you want to take away their guns.:lol:

Well I certainly wouldn't be calling anyone on The Treehouse a dofus, so I don't think I'll get those reply's here. Even though I may vehemently dis-agree with some people on here, I respect the other members here.

I was just adding some perspective on how it is in Canada, and hoping maybe Paul can straighten me out if I've got anything assbackwards.

I like guns, it scares me even up here how easy they are to have. A weekend course, a short wait, and you can walk into the store and walk out with a very lethal set-up.

I am glad for the laws up here, as with even the smallest of hoops to jump through it keeps alot of the riff-raff from every owning firearms.

I really like guns, but honestly I don't want every dofus owning one.

I really, really like guns, and I don't think the hoops we have to jump through help much with crime. What intelligent criminal (yeah, contradictory, I know) is gonna go into a gun shop, file the paperwork on and purchase a new firearm, then go commit a crime with it, knowing it can be traced directly to him? Furthermore, if he has a record, he knows he can't obtain a firearm through those channels to start with.

I furthermore believe that EVERYONE should have to own at least one firearm, even if they are adamant against them. They would of course have the option to sell that one awful firearm, and I'd be more than happy to relieve them of that terrible piece of property.:lol:

Very true, the argument made up here though is the more un-registered guns that are around, means more guns being sold/bought illegally. If that makes sense? Maybe bought legally by a 'quasi' criminal who then re-sells them for profit to anyone.

That's been the main argument up here for having long guns registered, hand-guns will never be un-registered up here I think. As I said though the long gun registry is on it's way out, for certain it'll happen, probably within six months. Then the number crunchers will crunch their numbers in a couple of years I guess and argue at length about the findings.

I do think the small amount of hoops up here stops a huge majority of people who might buy a gun if they could, but will never ever own one because of the weekend course/registering thing. So therefore it keeps guns out of the hands of a large majority of people. Not because they can't, but because the motivation isn't strong enough to follow through and make it happen. Therefore there are just way less guns available up here to be had legally or illegally.

I understand the terms registered and unregistered, but it's the act committed that constitutes a crime, not the owning of a particular weapon. It is just as illegal (as well as immoral, unethical, etc) to beat someone to death with a tire iron as it would be to drown them in a toilet or pour saw gas down their throat and chase them with a lighted match. THAT is the issue most Americans cannot grasp. They think if guns are outlawed (registered/restricted/magically disappeared), all mankind would sit around the campfire and have a merry time. Yep, crime was invented the day after gunpowder.......

The dofuses are at the gun shows looking like they are wanta -bes from the delta force .A bunch of odd people for sure .Thank heavens most are not like that .

Oh certainly any type of violence is usually illegal. But with a gun you can't argue that it's not easier to be lethal in it's mis-use. A tire iron could be used to beat someone to death fairly easily, but not nearly as easily or effectively as popping a couple of rounds. I don't think anyone thinks that guns invented crime, it's just something they can be used quite effectively for because they are so lethal.

It's kind of interesting to me because I like up here that not everyone has guns. But I certainly won't be purchasing another long-gun until the registry is abolished, whether big brother says they're destroying the database or not.

I do believe in the right to defend oneself by whatever means are nescessary, I also believe alot of things that will never be supported by anywhere close to the majority of the population up here. And so to live sanely in a democracy I yield to the wishes of the majority and conduct myself to the laws of the land. I know some others don't and that is why I've legally aquired fire-arms and a farm, where say coyotes or now lately even wolves or cougars may wander by. Hence the need to be able to defend myself, legally.

Out in public that's another thing, there is some risk from criminals throughout every aspect of our life.

Well, I've pretty much espoused exactly what you have Justin, but I've been told that I don't know what the frig I'm talking about, and that I have no gun rights at all in my country.

Maybe its because I'm a European.

I'll say it again - I like guns, but I also like strong gun laws.

Meh, you guys were just getting all fired up. It's a man thing, happens to me all the time. I wouldn't have it any other way.

Guns, as with most things being looked at in the larger view of societies is a complex question. There are rarely easy answers and many more shades of gray than I can make out.

Ed, my issue, personally, is that we already have strong gun laws; especially here in Massachusetts. We've already surpassed the amount and severity of laws that will affect the people they're intended for- the criminals- to the point of doing nothing more than curtailing the rights of, and increasing the difficulty law-abiding citizens have to endure.

We could institute a five year waiting period to purchase a firearm, and it's not going to effect the intended target of the law one iota.

Back