82 yards with a Bow?

Sure, they are doable.

That is not why I bowhunt. I do it to get close to the animals.

The new compound bows are more like rifles than bows. They require very little skill to shoot. But that is the was "bowhunting" has gone. Bows that are more like rifles and "hunters" completely consealed in pop up blinds. Naah, not for me.

Stick bow, fingers, and wackage. I have double lunged many a deer or hog under 20yds. A few under 10yds.

I want to score a kill with my atlatl ;) http://atlatl.boganstrictor.com/

The new compound bows are more like rifles than bows. They require very little skill to shoot. But that is the was "bowhunting" has gone. Bows that are more like rifles and "hunters" completely consealed in pop up blinds. Naah, not for me.

I have to entirely, albeit politely disagree with you on this one. The same could be said about shooting rifles...."they require very litttle skill" but that's not the truth either. It takes a great amount of skill to take a rifle shot at 400+ yards, either hunting or target shooting. To say that new bows are like rifles and don't require much skill just isn't accurate in most people's opinion. Bows still require a specific skill set which must be practiced to be effective. Yes, the technology has improved, bows are faster and lighter, but they don't shoot themselves and they aren't any easier to shoot effectively. Regardless of the technology, if you put a poorly skilled shooter behind a brand new bow, they'll still not be able to use the bow effectively.

I've shot the vast majority of my bow kills less than 20 yards, a turkey at 10 and a deer at 4, and I've never hunted from a pop-up blind...;) :D

That atlatl is cool, but if they started making them from carbon fiber, designed high performance projectiles and made ergonomic custom grips, would it make the atlatl something anyone could shoot with very little skill? No, not at all. You still have to know how to shoot/launch the thing regardless of how modern it is.

You are correct, "they require very little skill" was a poor choice of terms. "They require very little skill compared to traditional archery" would have been more fitting.

That atlatl is cool, but if they started making them from carbon fiber, designed high performance projectiles and made ergonomic custom grips, would it make the atlatl something anyone could shoot with very little skill? No, not at all. You still have to know how to shoot/launch the thing regardless of how modern it is.

Know how = not skill

I still disagree. Like saying a guy that runs a bucket has less skill than a climber when removing a tree

There has been much argument concerning "primitive" weaponry in the last few years. When crossbows became common, many compound bow shooters hit the roof, claiming that crossbows weren't "primitive", while never considering that their compound bows weren't "primitive" either. Crossbows were used to shoot over castle walls ceturies ago, albeit they weren't compound crossbows. Still, the crossbow outdates the compound bow.

Same with muzzleloaders. Some "traditional" hunters claim in-lines aren't "primitive", while never realizing that in-line muzzleloaders, while not prevalent, have been around for years. Far as that goes, caplocks aren't as primitive as flintlocks, but I don't know anyone who hunts with a flintlock. And the state of Mississippi has legalized many single-shot centerfires for their "primitive" weapon season. One can use a New England Firearms Handi-Rifle in .444 Marlin or .45/70 and it's okay...they are considered "primitive". Go figure. They are saying that if you are using a caliber that was originally loaded with black powder, even though it's a centerfire loaded with smokeless powder now, it's a primitive weapon (as long as it's a single shot).

To me, it's a personal thing. The only deer I have killed with a crossbow was a doe that was about ten yards away. Last years I killed a doe at 20 yards, from a squatting position with her looking at me. It's definitely addictive, but when rifle season rolls around, I hang the bow up and go with the rifle. Now if I get the freezer filled ahead of time, I might just stick with the bow for the challenge, but that would be the only reason. I feel far more competent with a rifle than a bow.

There was a local doctor who took a dear with his homemade spear. If I remember right, he was up a tree/ or a blind/whatnot. Pretty wack, yo. It made the paper, here.

deer?

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/5BI4gqFg3Ic?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/5BI4gqFg3Ic?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

There was a local doctor who took a dear with his homemade spear. If I remember right, he was up a tree/ or a blind/whatnot. Pretty wack, yo. It made the paper, here.
In Louisiana they used to hunt bear with Bowie knives !!! now that is wack.

I think that I posted about a friend of mine here who hunted bear with a knife. Apparently he went through some special training in the south to acquire the skill. He used dogs to keep the bear occupied and then moved in with his knife. He said that it was very important to not let the bear see you before your chance came. He knows a heck of a lot about the mountains, and dogs, following his father's lead, from a generation when having mountain skills was one way to make a living. He said that it takes some special character for dogs to want to attack a bear, not just keep their distance and whine. Lost some dogs that way too, he informed, and with wild pigs. He lives in the ancient family house in a peaceful village at the foot of the mountains, became a crane operator in later life, and now reaching retirement. Outside his back door is the wild.

His storage shed has some very cool gear in it from days gone by, old traps and all kinds of unusual stuff. He is very soft spoken and rather shy....an interesting man. I like his vibe, am always glad to see him.

Huh, every hunting dog I ever been around took to bear like it was any other kitty

You are correct, "they require very little skill" was a poor choice of terms. "They require very little skill compared to traditional archery" would have been more fitting.

Know how = not skill

I think they are different "skill sets." To say a compound bow takes less skill than a traditional bow is still off a bit. There's alot of skill involved in shooting a .50 cal a mile. I couldn't do it. But there's still some that say that shooting a rifle takes little skill compared to shooting a bow. I have friends who make and shoot self-bows, and they're very good at it. Two of them are father/son who I've hunted with alot. I've seen them shoot compounds on occasion, and quite honestly, they suck at them. Their skill set is with long bows. They don't know the first thing about proper, skilled shooting of a compound. They don't have "skill" with compounds. Same as I've not learned the skill of long bows or atl atl's. I guess my point is, it's not the bow that makes the shot, it's the shooter. Put a compound in someone's hands who can't shoot, and they still won't be able to shoot it. They're not a band-aid for a lack of skill.

They chase them up a tree, if a bear gets backed up on the ground they try to keep him bayed up, darting in and out so he doesn't have a chance to escape. Shoot a bear out of a tree and if the dogs are not tied up they will be all over it the instant it hits the ground. Cougar too. Be sure and tie them up before shooting, if you wound one you may lose a dog

Frickin deer are carrying our place off here. They rut on the ornamentals and eat the fruit trees. We chase them off nearly every night, tonight I got a bit fed up.

92 yards/12ga/2.75" 00 Buckshot
1a6e617e.jpg

I did have to wait a second or two to get it to walk from inline with our water hydrant (36-42" tall water faucet).

No doubt, eat that sucker!

Jay here you go, lots more on u tube
<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Gmmf060J8xA?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Gmmf060J8xA?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Back