82 yards with a Bow?

One or two dogs will start a bear movin. Some big, old wise bears will turn back if they find just one or two dogs. I'd climb a tree if a hound was chasin me!

Ya'll don't have predation kills in your area? Aside from not being in love with deer meat, I don't see how it's waste or a shame. Would you stop and harvest road kill?

Ya'll don't have predation kills in your area? Aside from not being in love with deer meat, I don't see how it's waste or a shame. Would you stop and harvest road kill?

We can get deprevation permits and land owner preference tags, both of which allow processing meat, antlers, hide whatever. I have thrown deer in my truck that I have hit in years past. I sure wouldn't leave one I shot. Non of your neighbors would want it?

Frickin deer are carrying our place off here. They rut on the ornamentals and eat the fruit trees. We chase them off nearly every night, tonight I got a bit fed up.

That's fugging disgusting, but whatever soaks your cookies. So, do you just leave the carcass there to rot? If you could, would you shoot 10? 20 deer?

Under the Mississippi predation laws the meat can't be harvested. While I'm not a stickler for the rules, the last time I cut one up, I used it for dog food. I don't dislike deer meat, but it's not worth the effort to me. I thought about calling Treesmith, but he lives 30 miles over, it was late, and he needs his beauty sleep. Our "neighbors" keep to themselves. Only my "next door" neighbor has my cell number. We all get along fine/wave/are friendly, but we don't generally socialize. It took 9 years before I met my neighbor on the other side (500 yards through the woods/900 yards via the road).

You do realize I live out in the country, right MB? The carcasses don't rot, we have things out here that eat it like who done it. The last deer I shot was litterally gone in 3-4 days. Depending on where they get dropped, we'll load them in the tractor and haul them to the edge of the woods so they're out of the way. Leaving the deer there will likely keep us deer free for a couple weeks or better.

Obviously if their carcass was noticeable/in the way we wouldn't have it.

Regarding road kill, are you that hard up for food or do you enjoy deer meat that much or is it more the thought of keeping it from going to waste?

Bama's got the same law, but if I had to kill a deer for predation, I would definitely use the meat. We eat it regularly, and I would hate to see it go to waste. Obviously if the weather was hot, I'd likely do a backstrap/hind quarter snatch and let the rest lie. If I did nothing at all, the carcase wouldn't last past three days here, between buzzards, coyotes, possums, etc.

The last one was dropped right at the edge of the orchard. I went to move it the next morning, but the flies were a bit much. :lol:

I doubt I've shot a dozen in the past 5 years. We used to let them have free roam, enjoyed their presence. Then we put in ornamentals, fruits, and other specimen trees and they started messing them up pretty good, which is when our hospitality ran out.

I enjoy it and hate to see it go to waste. I spotted one off the road, out in a field in the winter. I walked down to check it out and couldn't see any damage from getting hit by a vehicle. It was within sight of the road and we are supposed to call the cops, fill out a report, and get a release. I decided to pass, so I stopped and let a farmer friend know it was out there. Her brother took a tractor down there to get it and said it was great, thanks. The deer I did pick up was hit in the ribs. No meat damage at all. I like hunting, but you spend a lot of time to get one usually.

Yes Carl, I would stop and scoop up road kill deer if I knew it was freshly hit. Not because Im hard up for food, but because I love venison, and would hate to see it wasted rotting on the road side. I typically would never kill any animal I didnt plan on harvesting.

I had a swamp donkey tip prune (apical) 135 5' spruce trees. I took me a few hrs the next spring to select a new central leader for every one of them. The DNR won't allow me to even the score!

Grain fed Moose would be pretty good.

I'm not that shy, a 270 and daylight is fine by me! They way I see it, if I feed 'em, they should recipricate!:lol:

The ranchers and some farmers can get depridation tags here also. I don't really agree with how it's done. Usually the landowner gets POed and doesn't allow anyone to hunt, then the game #'s spike and they are over-run with critters.

We have had outfitters leave open goose pits on one of our pieces of land, we still let everyone but him hunt. I would have let him back, but I had to fill the pits in, he was too busy to dealing with something else.:X

Never said no to anyone thats asked to hunt on ur land, guys that just show up without askin' could get a rude awakening!

Some hunters believe it is their right to go where they please. Other know that huntin' on someones land is a privalage. We used to get guys from MN frive all the way up to goose hunt. Met some good folk, met a few dinks too!

Back