Traveling With Firearms

• Thread starter Mr. Sir
  • Start date
  • Replies 224
  • Views 16K
Without expressing an opinion myself in either direction, house break in statistics in other countries might be way higher, but the statistics of accidental death of family members by handguns in the US are way higher than the next 25 industrialized nations.

According to the CDC, the rate of firearm deaths among children under age 15 is almost 12 times higher in the United States than in 25 other industrialized countries combined. American children are 16 times more likely to be murdered with a gun, 11 times more likely to commit suicide with a gun, and nine times more likely to die in a firearm accident than children in these other countries

Discuss.

* Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Rates of homicide, suicide, and firearm-related deaths among children in 26 industrialized countries. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 1997; 46 101 –105

What's to discuss? Either the figures are correct or they're not (note that they are 14 years old). The problem is, some geek leaves his handgun lying around on the bedside table, fully loaded, without taking the time to familiarize his kids with it, or the severity of its use. The kid(s) pick it up, play around with it, and an accident occurs. Enter the liberal media....."If guns were outlawed, tragedies like this wouldn't happen...." And folks buy that garbage! The gun didn't get up and do anything, but "IT" and folks who like others of "ITS" kind, are blamed for the ignorant irresponsibility of a few widely publicized idiots.

I remember an article I saw in the Tuscaloosa News a few years ago about a "gun buyback" program they were instituting in Northport or Tuscaloosa, I forget which. They proudly announced that citizens had come forward with several guns (they were paying $50/apiece) and they were so glad to have removed these guns from the streets. You'd have thought they had disarmed the world's nukes. What they showed in the picture were several old .22's and an old shotgun. Hardly anything a "gang" would use. I forget what they were going to do with the massive assembly of arms they "bought"....:lol:

I certainly hope that if I suffer a terrible kick-back and cut my leg off next week at work, that chainsaws aren't outlawed, and all you guys have to start working without them. That'd be a bummer.

You never hear of the number of children who drown each year, some in pools, some in bathtubs, and others in 5-gallon buckets. The figures are seldom in agreement, but most sites agree, small children drowning is a problem in the US. (http://fire.co.clark.nv.us/(S(vi0hfs...revention.aspx) Lets discuss illegalization of pools, tubs and buckets. No one is going to discuss such a topic, because it is easily realized that everyone wants/needs pools/tubs/buckets. But because of our widely varying society, all folks do not own/want/need guns. Therefore, it is easier to find a following when touting gun control

You've seen too many movies.
I hate to bust your bubble but I've done it with great effect .Besides I don't miss with a scatter gun if it comes to that .I'd stand a better chance throwing a pistol at something than trying to aim it .

Ed, there are no kids in my household. Also, you can choose between freedom or having your government provide all of your needs for you. Either you make your own decisions or you let the bureaucrats decide what is good or bad for you. But with freedom comes responsibility. Some people handle responsibility better than others. If less than 1% of the population cannot handle the responsibility of handling and maintaining a gun in a household with children present, does that mean we should outlaw all guns in the entire country?

Why is it that you guys cant participate in a rational discussion? I SPECIFICALLY SAID I AM NOT PUTTING FORWARD MY OPINION. WHERE THE frig DID I SAY THAT YOU SHOULD OUTLAW ALL GUNS?
I have discharged a firearm to 'protect' my property once 13 years ago, and would do so again if necessary.

Actually, I really couldn't give a shit what you get up to in your backwards redneck fascist police state. And stop it with the freedom / provide all your needs.
You have a government that gives you no freedom, but provides you with very little. You live in a militarized police state. Even as we type, there is a law being put forward by your government that will give your armed forces the freedom to arrest ANY US citizen in the USA and hold them indefinitely with no charge. Some freedom you got there...

Ed, it's too bad that statistic isn't broken down further, into guns legally and illegally owned. That may be more telling.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Why do I carry a gun? Simple, because I can't carry a cop.

Granted, there are a lot of idiots who own guns, but that's the price we pay for freedom. As for me, as a father of 10 I am very well aware of firearm safety around kids. My children, all of them, are taught the basics. The ones who have shown an interest are taught more. My guns are locked in a safe to which only I know the combination. Ammo is likewise locked up separately.

Should they encounter a gun, they know enough to stay away and find an adult. If they're at a friend's house, same thing. If the friend insists on handling the gun, I've taught my kids how to make it safe, whether its a semi-auto handgun, a revolver, shotgun, or rifle. They know how to handle a gun, how to unload it and how to make it safe. This is basic SOP for anyone with a gun in the house.

Yup, and I hate what our government has become. When they come to cart me off I will resist with everything I have, including my life.

Where do those stats stand in comparison to deaths directly related to cigarettes, alcohol, auto accidents, etc...?

No need for the expletives, Ed. I was simply "discussing" in my own way the "facts" that you presented. I have never been concerned that my children would play with guns and hurt themselves or anyone else. I consider these "statistics of accidental death of family members by handguns" to be irrelevant when it comes to my individual rights/freedoms. I have no way of knowing how many "accidental" deaths occur each year by firearms. Neither do I have any way of knowing how many US citizens have been gunned down in cold blood by "agents" in the employ of our dear uncle. I was just reading about a marine who was gunned down in his own home by a SWAT team several months ago. Old news, yes, but Yahoo had something or other on their news page a couple of hours ago.

Ed, the reason some Americans seem to get a bit defensive when foreigners begin discussing firearms laws is because every single discussion involves almost every single foreigner explaining why American gun laws are stupid and dangerous, and therefore guns should be outlawed or at least restricted further. If you wish to take any other position then you need to make yourself explicitly clear or else you will be categorized and dismissed with all other foreigners who think more gun control is needed.

Actually, I really couldn't give a shit what you get up to in your backwards redneck fascist police state. And stop it with the freedom / provide all your needs.
You have a government that gives you no freedom, but provides you with very little. You live in a militarized police state. Even as we type, there is a law being put forward by your government that will give your armed forces the freedom to arrest ANY US citizen in the USA and hold them indefinitely with no charge. Some freedom you got there...

Wow chief, you really do hate us, don't you?

Nah, Ed's jealous. He wants to be an American badly.

Brett... you don't know one single cop you could carry? :lol:

Wow chief, you really do hate us, don't you?

Not at all. But I do particularly dislike logical fallacy's, strawman arguments, ad hominem attacks and having words put in my mouth.

I like that you guys can carry guns. I like guns. I am also a proponent of strong gun control in society. But I do think that it is important to consider the negatives and the unintended consequences of having to many guns in a society.
More guns = less home invasions
but..
More guns = high incidence of accidental death by gun.

Some of you might consider this a price worth paying.

For instance, it's clear that Brett has considered the consequences and trained his children accordingly.

Nah, Ed's jealous. He wants to be an American badly.

Really old chap? About as much as you wish you were still a colony ;)

Have you ever lived in the US Ed? Not just visited, but actually lived here for an extended period? If you're knowledge of our country has been acquired through the media, then I suppose I can't blame you for your opinions. Believe it or not, our country is a hell of a lot better than the news media portrays.

That was kinda my point. You don't hear about the bucket-drownings, the "G-man shoots innocent civilian" and all the other "news worth printing". Just the brain-wash tripe that sells so well with the mainstream media.

Have you ever lived in the US Ed? Not just visited, but actually lived here for an extended period? If you're knowledge of our country has been acquired through the media, then I suppose I can't blame you for your opinions. Believe it or not, our country is a hell of a lot better than the news media portrays.

No just visited. I know how amazing lots of the US is. Whats your point?

I'll put in language you can understand. You don't know what the frig you're talking about. Kapish?
Odd, as I've not put forward much of an opinion on the thread, apart from mild agreement with the idea of you taking a gun on holiday for shits and giggles.
Nice response though. I hope you pray for forgiveness for that tonight, or gods going to be angry with you.

You resort to personal attacks because you cant cope with the fact that I'm better informed and smarter than you. Want to have another go at the personal threats again?

You could pass all the gun control laws you wanted to and it still wouldn't control guns .Obviously even with so called control in England it hasn't stopped much .

Don't get me wrong I'm not for wild west shoot em up OK corral stuff .----but in this neck of the woods if they get the bright idea of burglerizing or taking by force they might just bite off a tad more than they can chew .Every so often a would be crook gets a 12 gauge double stuck in their nose until the cops come haul them off .Likewise every so often they get a load of buck shot too .That they understand .

Back