Traveling With Firearms

• Thread starter Mr. Sir
  • Start date
  • Replies 224
  • Views 16K
I find it sad that the first thing that comes to the minds of the foreigners in this thread is that Brett wants to bring his firearm to protect himself against other people.

Maybe it's just because I'm an American, but when I hear him mention "Colorado" and "boonies", the first thing that comes to MY mind is expanses of forest, camping, and defense against the odd bear or coyote.

Self-defense against crazy people is only one of many legal and legitimate uses for a firearm. :roll:

That was my first thought, too...mountain lions and grizzlies specifically came to mind first...human predators run a close 3rd.

That was my first thought, too...mountain lions and grizzlies specifically came to mind first...human predators run a close 3rd.
To stop a mountain lion you had better be a quick draw as they are ambush attackers, to stop an attacking grizzly, you'd best be packing a small cannon. We have many urban coyotes here, I think the last 'attack' was an elderly asian lady that had taken to feeding them, she got bit on the hand. coyotes are usually scared shitless of anything bigger than they are. The last walk I led at the arboretum I shooed off a couple that were about 50 feet away with the fearsome act of stomping my foot and saying 'go away' in a fairly loud voice. ;-)

I dont think a gun ban is smart at all, nor effective. Reasonable gun control is fine by me, not every human being needs to or should, have firearms.

That's fine, but there are already an overwhelming number of laws and controls.

The first thing that came to my mind is simply that guns are cool mechanisms. It seems obvious that Brett likes them beyond the purpose of self protection. I like to carry a beautiful knife that a friend made for me, to take it out of it's hand made wooden sheath to look at it sometimes, and possibly show other people that might be interested, Far lower on the list of things to do with it is stab somebody. Unfortunately, given the length, it is banned as well. :roll: I might like to beat up the legislator that introduced that particular law about a year ago, but I wouldn't poke him with the knife. A mentally deranged person went on a rampage and knifed a few folks in Tokyo.....kitchen knife. A bad thing, but does it warrant the rest of the millions being possibly inconvenienced henceforth, and a land where there is a fantastic tradition for wonderfully made swords and knives? We would be much more advantageously served by better teaching the cops to not shake so much to shoot straight.

I find it sad that the first thing that comes to the minds of the foreigners in this thread is that Brett wants to bring his firearm to protect himself against other people.

Well I was just joking, but from memory Brett carries two guns when he goes out to dinner. Or was that church, it was a while ago.:)

I have to say, the handgun ban and the clampdown on illegal weapons in the UK has been pretty much a failure with regards to preventing criminals from having guns. I'm all for gun controls - but banning them is pointless.

Same here, there's more handguns now than before they were banned.

They were just waiting to ban them and when that idiot let loose in Tasmania that was it, ban guns.

I saw one police drop off van near here, people were lined up handing in everything. Most of them over 50, lots of them women, not too many leb drug dealers though.:roll:

Here in the big corn field owning some form of firearm is just as common as owning an automobile .I grew up with it and don't consider it a big deal .

To me a hand gun is made for one thing close confrontation against another human being period .If you want something for home defense just get a shot gun .The sound of racking a round in a slide action shotgun is unmistakable and would likely get the attention of a burgler akin to the sound of a hound on a hot trail .;)

leb drug dealers means lesbian drug dealers? Is that a formally declared class of society now?

The samurais were fooked when the Europeans showed the Japanese about guns. It was too bad. The sword was the way they lived.

Not les, leb. Short for a country.

images

Here in the big corn field owning some form of firearm is just as common as owning an automobile .I grew up with it and don't consider it a big deal .

To me a hand gun is made for one thing close confrontation against another human being period .If you want something for home defense just get a shot gun .The sound of racking a round in a slide action shotgun is unmistakable and would likely get the attention of a burgler akin to the sound of a hound on a hot trail .;)

Agreed on the sound of a pump-gun being racked, Al. The advantage of the handgun, though, lies in the fact that it can be fired with either hand, from almost any position. With a laser sight on it, this feature is enhanced even more. Plus, the handgun frees up the off hand for a flashlight, etc.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Read the headlines. The wolves are not just in fairy tales. The wolves are real.

sheepdogToon.jpg

The sound of racking a round in a slide action shotgun is unmistakable and would likely get the attention of a burgler akin to the sound of a hound on a hot trail .;)

You've seen too many movies. Why would you give up your advantage by advertising your location as well as your weapon?

If you're going to use a gun for self defense, it should be in Condition 0; round in the chamber, magazine full, hammer cocked, safety off.

That would break about every rule of gun ownership here. Rules are gun (in storage unless en route to the firing range) must be locked up or disabled from firing, ammo also locked up in a separate location unless its a gun safe with seperate compartments.

"Just give me a minute or two, Mr. Bad Guy, while I assemble my weapon." :roll:

Yup. :roll:

I'd say if you break into my house, you'd be amazed how fast I can unlock everything and ready my weapon. ;)

That would break about every rule of gun ownership here. Rules are gun (in storage unless en route to the firing range) must be locked up or disabled from firing, ammo also locked up in a separate location unless its a gun safe with seperate compartments.

I know you didn't write the laws, Paul, so I can say without fear of offense, that a law like that is most ignorant. It defeats the very purpose of having a handgun for self-defense. Next thing ya know, ammo will have to be disassembled before storage. "Pull those bullets and primers and store all components separately. These modern weapons have learned to load themselves and are a threat to society, so we'll make it more difficult for them......"

I don't own but one or two that AREN'T loaded...at all times. Every bolt-action rifle I own has one in the pipe right now (except two .30-06's which have the bolts removed for storage). I lower the hammers, but the chambers are loaded. Most of my auto pistols are fully loaded, a couple don't have one in the chamber.

I even keep batteries in the Crimson Trace and Veridian lasers......:lol:

bottom line, in this country, you dont need a handgun for self defense to live a normal life. ;-)

bottom line, in this country, you dont need a handgun for self defense to live a normal life. ;-)

Oh you don't here either. Matter of fact, you don't need a handgun for self defense until some fool breaks into your home. But if/when one does, it's nice to know you have the option to defend yourself and family. Normal is relevant....;)

Around here burglars aren't armed.
So I pity the poor fool who ever breaks into my house at night.
1 karateka+2 big dogs and a quartermile long driveway adds up to a lot of broken bones and tooth marks before the poor sap manages to drag himself off the property.

I don't know Karate and I don't have a big dog but a burglar would probably be less successful breaking into my house than yours.

Looking at some statistics available on the web from some years ago, it would appear that home burglary invasions in Canada are actually of a higher rate than in the US, and that the percentage of break-ins when the home owner is home, is a number of times higher. Since the criminal justice system does not appear to be more harsh for break-ins in Canada than in the states, one conclusion that gets made is that burglars and would be burglars in the US, are more afraid of getting shot, so guns or the readiness with them, is a deterrence to both crime and the type of crime where the potential to harm coming to the victim would be higher otherwise.

I don't know Karate and I don't have a big dog but a burglar would probably be less successful breaking into my house than yours.

They may come in on their legs, but they go out on their back. ;)

Back