This mornings fun

Ed L

Treehouser
Have to love friends.....got a call this am, "Hey, can you come drop a tree?".

Get there, damned Siberian Elm, forked, not over the house, but leaning toward it. Oh, yea, its forked, cracked down between them, oh great, wtf did I do to deserve this.

They had both trunks rigged, tied off to a 3/4 ton Suburban, best way to go on this one. Would have had to cut 7' up to drop them seperately.

Went home, grabbed the 066, 24" bar, wedges, axe and a ratchet strap. Did I mention the trunk was a nice oval, 28 x 24 or close....Strapped the trunk to keep it together and lit the fire.

Forgot why everybody calls these "piss elms".....did the notch, holy crap, water was pouring out, should've put a skip chain on, clogging up bad.

Started the back cut, set wedges and let her eat. Finished up, motioned for the pull, game over baby. Good drop, right where I wanted. Only casualty was my strap, trunk split when it hit the ground......oh well, get the hook re-sewd next week.

Sorry, no pics, I was to jacked up.

Ed

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Don't like this out of the blue phone call stuff, my friend and his bil, had it planned. Give your hail mary faller fair warning.

Ed

You're the ringer bro bask in its glory and charge accordingly. Friendship aside this is all business.

when you pull falls like that off its good to be able to come someplace to share it with people that will understand... I remember telling stories like that ( the kind that get the adrenaline rushing again when you just tell it) to the wife and she would never get it.. Kind of nod with a blank look on her face and say something like "that's nice"

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
when you pull falls like that off its good to be able to come someplace to share it with people that will understand... I remember telling stories like that ( the kind that get the adrenaline rushing again when you just tell it) to the wife and she would never get it.. Kind of nod with a blank look on her face and say something like "that's nice"

You nailed it.

Once the steel hits the wood, its one on one, unless you've done it, you don't understand.

Ed

Back