Back is out...this sux

canadiantreeman

TreeHouser
So, yesterday I was pruning a walnut and td'ng a siberian elm. All day in the bucket. Around 2:30 I was just taking the top outta the elm; cut, hold and swing boom to drop limb. I tweaked my back a little on the top and though little of it, muscle strain perhaps. Finished the day, but even my boss noticed it when I was saying goodbye. By 7 pm the pain was pretty intense, I could barely lift my leg to get into the shower. Phoned into work and told 'em I needed to go to the doc's in the morning to get to the bottom of it.

When I woke up this morning it was waaaaay worse. The worst pain I have ever felt in my life. I had to roll outta bed and stand up by squatting and pushing up on the bed with my arms. Talking the ten steps to the potty was excruciating.

Turns out I compressed a disk in my lower back. Out for 2-6 weeks. Hopefully, because of the shape I'm in it will be a quick recovery. Bed rest and staying on the lower floor of our house for a week. I basically need to hold my upper body up with my arms if I'm upright, and my range of motion lying down is the pits. From spring chicken to invalid in 24 hrs...uggghghh.

My heated vibrating chair sure helps, Advil too! Don't sit, walk as much as you can, then lay down flat on your back!

Your the youngest old guy I know!:D

Bummer dude. Hope you heal up OK.

I've got some slipped vertabre in my lower back, which affected my whole posture blah blah, which in turn I deal with it every day. Back injuries suck, make sure you rest.

Dylan, I did the same early this year. I was nearly back to normal in a week. A good chiro, ice for half hour, no ice for an hour, repeat. During the no ice try to walk a little. 3 days I was fairly mobile for short distances. First couple I could barely walk to the fridge for my ice. Good luck

Yeah, back pain is the worst. Hot springs can offer some temporary relief if available in your area. Any in B.C.?

I love my inversion table. Bought it used from a guy on my fishing forum. It helps when something gets shifted out of place, I can hang upside down and let everything line up again. Sometimes I twist side to side while hanging in order to help loosen up the stuck pieces.

Another trick I use when I need a little more pressure is two tennis balls tied in an old sock. I lay on the floor and put it under my back with one ball on either side of my spine. Then I slide forward and back to roll it up and down my back, it helps knock down the stuff that isn't supposed to be sticking out.

I'm also of the opinion that you shouldn't 'rest' tooooo long. A day or two on the couch, then move slow, but move. Sure hope it is a quick heal for you.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
My father in law was helpful and pulled a mattress downstairs for me to lay on last night. I've been getting up and walking a little bit today. Its way better already. The anti-inflammatories and the rest has been great. Maybe tommorrow I'll venture out with the wife and kids and go for a walk!

same thing happened to me when I was your age, partially compressed disc.
From too many heavy powerlifting workouts, i would refuse to wear my power belt until the squats got over 500, ya know?

thinking that it would build more core strength. It did, but I paid the price.

It also healed with rest and youthfulness, not sure how I would fare now, but being somewhat superhuman I"m sure I would heal, just take longer.

rest it man, rest it :)

Sorry about your back. I had a similar situation a few years ago. Once I felt mobile, I hit the local rec center for some pool sessions. Easy laps and hot tubbing. Really helped out alot. Plus your 3 year old might enjoy it. Happy healing!!

Morning and the eyes aren't quite focusing right yet. I first thought you posted that your father-in-law pulled a mistress downstairs for you to lay on top of. :O Dumb mistake...
:roll:

Get it healed up and then treat it right!
I have been buggered up for 8 months now and am just starting to make the curve the other way. I am sure the start to my damage to L-5 S-1 was done many years ago.

Back