Not sure about this tree

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Probably didn't have to, but I just thought the balance might be a little questionable. Your point is well taken though, plus the trunk had slight lean to the lay. Just kind of wanted to climb it as it turned out, hardly ever get up into the broad limbed trees. I did learn something cutting the limbs. Also, didn't particularly want to be banging on wedges with the more horizontal limbs directly above, I was skeered.

Butch, in the first picture where it shows the limb cut off, I can see freshly planted crops within a couple feet. It doesn't look like he had enough room to drop the entire side in that direction without tearing up crops.

There was some plastic ground covering there as well, something they use when planting. The whole lead going that way would have torn it up pretty bad. I just nicked it up. :D

Thanks Jed. That is a nice spot, only a couple minutes away to go sit and eat my lunch. I sealed the cuts and covered them with plywood and corrugated metal. I'm in no hurry to cut off the lower section, plan to run a saw around the bottom to stop any water transfer that would continue, perhaps send out new growth. I'll keep an eye on it and think it best to leave it until it loses moisture and the bark starts to separate, then cut it off. With some additional drying, hopefully get one thick usable chunk for a low table that lays directly on the floor or has short feet, people can sit around it on cushions and drink hot sake! It wouldn't have to be totally dry for something like that, and probably end up in better shape by losing water slowly indoors. Just need the right location for something of that scale, and a way to get such weight indoors.

Can anyone advise how deep a girdling cut needs to be to halt water transfer, just beneath the bark, or deeper?

Couple inchees should do, though it will likly fill with dirt and dull your saw when you finally sever it

Yeah, the dirt in the cut, both the girdling and later, especially so since I'm going to be digging out one side as it sits on a little slope. I could clear out the cut with a carbide chain and short bar that I have, then use a longer bar to finish it. A new cut above is a good idea too, as MB suggests. Enough log length for that.

Back