Back is out...this sux

you boys can go ahead with a fat russkie chick...I'll stick with little Lou for my back ;)

Who said anything about Russkies or fat? We're talking Swedes, bro!

Attachments

• fit-muscular-women-11.jpg
    fit-muscular-women-11.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 73
As your back "eases up" and gets the initial inflammatory process under control, consider a consistent stretching routine. Chiropractic, for some folks, is enough, I guess...puts stuff back "in place". This method of stretching in the video below promotes flexibility, suppleness and strength...your body adjusts itself as the tissues learn to relax and get stronger...I will often have vertebrae "click" back into place.

I do a 6-7 minute version of this before I climb or do much of anything strenuous...when I work out at the gym I do about an hour of the rope stretches. You only need about a 16 foot (end to end) rope with hand loops either knotted in or spliced in.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/IwiVBV4IlQs?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/IwiVBV4IlQs?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Interesting, Gary. I'm definitely going to get a back brace for the bucket work. Stretch routine would be good. I was considering taking a yoga or pilates course to strengthen my core muscles when I'm more mobile.

It's still pretty sore and my mobility is pretty limited. I can sit without too much discomfort for around 5 minutes now...haha. Been icing it and walking around the house lots. May take the little guy for a walk later today. Doctors and x-ray tomorrow.

Thanks all.

I asked my PT (chiro?, doctor?) about those braces and he/she told me that they may have their place, but they didn't 'protect' like people think they do. He suggested building up/conditioning core muscles instead. I wish I could remember more, I just remember that I did not continue wearing one.

Talk to your doctor about it tomorrow and ask that in YOUR situation, if it's a good idea.

Good luck tomorrow, hope it's all good.

Hope all goes well for you, I can sympathise as at the moment suffering a set back again after breaking my back 8 years ago.

Keep us informed

Interesting, Gary. I'm definitely going to get a back brace for the bucket work. Stretch routine would be good. I was considering taking a yoga or pilates course to strengthen my core muscles when I'm more mobile.

...... May take the little guy for a walk later today. Doctors and x-ray tomorrow.

Thanks all.

I think Che is right...the real final answer (once you resolve organic, mechanical issues with the doctor) is to have a good "core", all the proper strength, flexibility and structure to support your spine as you work...a brace may be good initially but the real answer is your body. The rope work in the video is a type of "rope yoga" from Burma, very, very old and used by three classes of people there. It was yoga for the

1-peasants and menial workers (tree cutters, for example)
2-monks
3-warriors

It was designed to be functional yoga, not for enlightenment or aesthetics like some systems (which is fine if that is your purpose)....I use it to make me more efficient and protected with the things I do.

Your idea to work on your core with yoga and Pilates sounds good...and playing with a baby is always good for you.

Well, went to the doc yesterday. She told me that she was pleased with the progress and would like to integrate me gradually back into work. Catch is that I can't lift over 10 lbs, bend or twist or move quickly...and can't sit down for more than a half an hour. Which leaves me with only estimates and consults to do...of which we have very few, on account of the slow season. Oh, well...more RnR till the next appt in 10 days.

Puts it in perspective to see Carl's wreck, Holy Jumped up Huckleberries!

Well, I've done 2 days of physio and have been back to the doc's. They are pretty sure it was a facet strain (http://www.sportsinjuryclinic.net/cybertherapist/back/lowback/low_back_pain_facet_joints.htm) rather than a disc injury, which is good news! They said that I should be back to full strength in another week and a half if all goes well...and that there is no threat of long term problems like there would be with a compressed disc. Still, its put me out of regular work duties for 2 1/2 weeks so far. I did some report writing and a consult this week, and should be ready to go back to regular duties on the 13th...provided we have the work!

You're too young to be having back problems yet, Dylan. Take care of your body, it's the only one you get. :)

Sorry, I missed this Dylan! Brian is right, once you mess it up, it's messed up for life, no matter what, it now has a weakness in it that can and will haunt you forever!
I'm a believer in Chiropractic, they can do a lot if you get a good one and stick with them.
The back brace is great short term, but wearing it weakens the muscles in the back, meaning when you take it off you increase risk of injury. Quiktrip learned this one the hard way when they made all the stockers wear them then had workman's comp claims left and right for back problems. They can help, but are not a viable solution!
Take it easy, don't be an idiot like me, please!

Protect your back...I sure don't want to be a hobbler when I get old

Because doing this kind of work we lift weights, twist our spines and torsos, and bend down a great deal (sometimes all at the same time which is a big no no and the most awful is doing all three whilst being hoisted up in a harness!!!)...we place unbelievable stresses on our backs. I'm not saying we have to go down the gym but I sure do believe in doing exercises on a regular basis (i.e. daily) which keep my spine and joints as flexible and supple as possible so that injury can be avoided. I have learnt the hard way but went about really strengthening my back muscles so that it wouldn't happen again...the stuff that yoga classes do are really cool for developing back strength and supplness, plenty of slim chicks too:D Good luck with your healing.

Back