The Snowplowing Thread

• Thread starter The Branch Doctor
  • Start date
  • Replies 266
  • Views 19K
Hey you two, would it be out of line to ask you what you charge?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I charge the property management co. $100.00 an hour for plowing, which is a little cheap, but I do 18 properties for them so they get it for less. Otherwise it's $125 to $150 with a 1 hour minimum.

We got maybe an inch last night Paul. Which is good because I needed the rest.... BAD!

Hourly? Hmmm, never seen it done that way unless I was paying a driver to plow my accounts. I plow by the push. The cost of the push is determined at the beginning of the season and varies by the account. I made a grand in 6 hours of plowing last night.

A plow is just a blade that "pushes" snow so we call a night of plowing a "push".

When people call me to plow out a parking lot, residence, rural driveway, etc. I usually just give them a flat price and that's what it is every time they have me come in. I do a LOT of plowing for small businesses and tree clients and I only charge them what they can afford. Hell, I've got a few elderly clients that I just "take care of" between one of my many stops all over town and I don't charge them at all. Taking care of my "people" has brought me nothing but good and I know they REALLY appreciate waking up on a snowy morning and they're driveway is already cleared.:)

Butch, I am guessing that they charge per service. Just as one lawn mowing might be called a 'mow' and you'd pay the agreed price for one 'mow', I assume the parking lot owners pay per 'push'.

Exactly what Brien said.

I still don't get what a "push" is.

Every time I show up at an account and drop the blade and plow snow is a push. Some storms are 1 push some are 2 or 3. We had a two push storm the other night. looking like the possibilty of a 3 or 4 push tomorrow. Weather men are sure it is going to precipitate, a lot of it depends on the track of the Low and how much warm air it drags in off the ocean. Could be setting up for a good old 2 ft. Nor'easter! or 6" of snow with sleet and ice on top.

Some commercial and municipal contracts around here get more complicated by paying per push but as the total amount of snow dropped in one snow "event" increases the cost of each push increases. Seems way to complicated to me.

I don't clear snow for pay but I have my own 550 foot driveway to contend with.Usually the rear blade on the tractor does the job.6" of powder is not a problem but a foot of wet snow is.In that case I fire up the dozer,nothing stops it.If I can't push I can walk over top of it .

I will say though that in the 10 years I've been at this place I've yet to have to use the dozer.In a previous location,former wife etc. ,the dozer got quite a work out every winter.The problem is the dozer really doesn't care if it's shoving snow or gravel.Then you spend a week in the spring raking all the gravel back into the lane.

As I type we have at 4 inchs of powder, possibley up to 8 or 9 total on the way,depending on the storm front pattern.

We might get up to 24" in the next 30 hrs. or so.

We might have to eat up a dog we get snow bound.

Nah, scratch that. I'd rather force the wif out with snowshoes to get groceries.

This just popped in my mind,my favorite snow plowing story.

Oh about '92 or so,after losing my ass in a divorce all I had left was a few pieces of equipment,a little money and my good health.Dar and I were living in town in her little 900 foot square house,I was working the midnite shift.

We had a 'noreaster come through ,not as bad as they get up were Newfie and Netree are but bad enough,about 14 inchs of snow.I just happened to have one of my tractors in town,a Ferguson 20 with a Davis loader and a grader blade.Being a kind hearted kind of sort after I plowed us out I elected to help the neighbors.I can do more with that tractor in 10 minutes than two people could do all day moving snow.

I wouldn't take any money but being a sporting sort I would accept a nip or two.I had to decline same about half way through the block because I was getting a tad bit tipsy.:D

I just heard that cold weather is heading this way as well, Butch. Lows in the 40's tomorrow night. Gonna have to close the windows. :\:

T'night's forecast is 1"-3"... BRING IT !!!
I've got X-Mas shopping to do & an extra hundy is gonna go miles.

Oh sure, everybody else is getting snow but me.:(

That's ok though, a buddy and I decided a few hours ago that we're going skiing tomorrow so while you guys are "dealing" with the snow I'm going to go play in it.:D

Have fun everybody and BE CAREFUL! The moron drivers will be out in full force.:|:

Back