Knot thread

That's pretty cool. I'll have to try it next time I have a load to tie down(not at highway speed before I get to trust it).

Quite unrealistically depicted, but still I get the idea :). I mean, really?...figure 8 on a bight, on both ends? Mighty hard to cinch down and capture gain thataway :D.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Interesting, I wonder if it is strong

That would depend heavily on the diameter of the stick/spike and which strand(s) it pierces through in any given knot. I do know that introducing a stick/spike into certain regions of certain knots can increase the bend radius of the rope or cordage being used, therefore increases the overall strength of the knot...if it were placed in an optimum location. If can also make certain knots easier to untie after they have been heavily loaded. Too much of an added bend radius by an overly sized stick or spike could create a disruption to the structure of a knot, which might actually compromise it. It also depends on which knots are being used with sticks or spikes which have been implemented within their structures. Some knots tolerate such introductions better than others. This is my understanding of the answer to your question. Most people do not use sticks or spikes in their knots and so it's safe to say that, unless the knot is going to be exposed to very high forces, it's probably unnecessary to use them this way.
I concur, Doctor!

I wanted to make 2 simple tripods to then connect with a cedar pole to serve as one end of a stand for 2 kayaks. This looks intriguing

That guy should've asked me! *That's how I always made tripods.

*Mostly cause I didn't know how to properly lash them, so that was what I hacked together as a good enough solution. Not like I'm making tripods all the time anyway.

That guy should've asked me! *That's how I always made tripods.

*Mostly cause I didn't know how to properly lash them, so that was what I hacked together as a good enough solution. Not like I'm making tripods all the time anyway.
Haha, this guy and is "instructors" probably spent weeks or months trying to optimize tripod construction with minimal cordage and, meanwhile, somewhere in Maryland, @lxskllr has been doing this for years! =-D

Anyone ever use the Voodoo tensioning system? Click the link to learn more about it...

View attachment 135595

That's kinda like a poldo tackle, and I've used a poldo for an adjustable leg when rigging. They don't work really well for tightening on a load in my experience, but they work great for having an adjustable sling when rigging certain stuff in a pinch.

That's kinda like a poldo tackle, and I've used a poldo for an adjustable leg when rigging. They don't work really well for tightening on a load in my experience, but they work great for having an adjustable sling when rigging certain stuff in a pinch.
The Voodoo, as shown in the diagram, is pretty useless in my opinion. There's way too much friction and it probably will not tension a line very much or very easily. If you incorporate a pulley, or even two pulleys into it, careful to leave one of the sections with natural friction, you could feasibly maximize its efficacy by as much as 66.66%, which is enormous. If I were to ever need to tension a line (and I have on many occasions; especially for Tyrolean traverses), I will make use of a hitch around the tensioned line, connected to a mechanical advantage system with its own progress capture, allowing me to pull the line taught and preserve most of the lines original MBS and then secure any the line with a backup knot incase that hitch slips.

That's the thing, they don't tension up like you think it would, but it will stay in place once it's set. I suppose you could sweat the line and slide it up, but there's other knots that tension a line better. What it is good for (talking about the poldo tackle here) is adjusting a sling length. I've only used it once or twice, but it works great for that. Here's where I've used it: we had a large and heavy pipe fab that we were trying to pick so we could fly it in place, kinda an L shape. The traditional way is to use 3 pick points, and use a chainfall or come along to adjust the middle leg, no big deal.

Only problem was that we had none of those tools, and even if we did it was likely over their load capacity. But we did have lots of straps, mainly the big tubular endless slings, aka belts, which are very flexible for their capacity. By using a poldo tackle (rigged with shackles) i was able to infinitely adjust the sling so it was the correct length, and was even able to slide the outer straps back and forth so it would pick level in both directions. Basically set it where i thought, lift, lower, adjust, then lift again til it was right. Once it was loaded i used some tag line rope to bind the works all together to lower the risk of it sliding, but it worked great and we were able to accomplish what we needed to. We used rated slings and shackles, and since it's completely locked in place it's an approved method for doing something like that.

Lots of objects that need rigged have the center of gravity not in the middle, and doing industrial work you will likely be using straps to lift them, since they have an actual load rating and don't rely on knots. Even using rope it's very hard to get the lengths exactly right, so the poldo tackle makes an adjustable strap in between the doubled over length and the tripled length. And the best part is that you don't need to undo anything to adjust it, you simply slide it and come up again, so it's much easier than other adjustment schemes. It's kinda sketchy because you rely on friction alone to hold it in place, but a quick lashing or clove hitch can secure it enough to use, because depending on the sling material unloading it could cause it to shift.

I'm trying to visualize all of this, @Tree09. Looks like there are multiple ways to perform a Poldo Tackle.

Is this video a good representation of what you used?

What about this video?

Yeah that's a poldo tackle, but in little string, not a 1.5 inch thick belt. Think wayyyyyy heavier and bigger stuff, or basically a sling that you can adjust simply by sliding.

I'm curious how many of youse were familiar with/use this method.

It's handy and I've seen that a bunch, but I'm not a fan because it can shake loose, especially if the load shifts and the strap becomes loose. If that happens it will vibrate violently, and pipe (surprise my most common item I'm tying down) is very prone to shifting. I coil then wrap with the tail secured with hitches, basically lashing it down to the strap so it can't possibly come free. I also wrap it around something and then do a tautline since that's even quicker, and makes the load appear to have more tie downs, handy when there's lots of stuff on there :lol: I'll sometimes even daisy chain the tail, wrap that around the strap several times, and then clove hitch it.

Yes I was wondering if it could come loose.

whadya mean tautline, using the webbing?

Yup, works just fine. That way you can tension it, and it won't go anywhere and is easy to untie. Pretty much the quickest way to secure the ends and get back to doing what needs done.

Hard to wrap my addled mind round that

Back