Pipe threading help.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
The wall thickness was about the same, but I had to open up the dies to get it to start threading. Then I had to chase the threads with the dies at the proper setting so the threads were the right size.

Since all the plumbers are already here, is it OK if I hijack this thread? Water heater question.

My house is old pier and beam foundation. L shaped. The water heater is in the end of the long leg of the L, in the laundry room by the kitchen, it's old and leaking. Then there is living room. The bathrooms are on either side of the corner of the L. Takes a long time for the hot water to get there. I'm thinking about relocating the heater and maybe going tankless. There is weird hallway/alcove/closet between the bathrooms. The gas meter is approx inside the corner of L, by the kitchen.

Thanks

I doubt I need crayons, but a recirc system requires a lot of pipe, a pump, insulation and check valve. Along with electrical to run the pump. Why probably more expensive. (even with pex)
Tank less you could even go electric 110 if necessary

Just met with the “water heaters only” guy. Larger (40gall) commercial tank same spot $1500

Tankless $2700, recirc around $3k. Tankless never runs out of course but actually takes longer to get hot

Meh, just gonna do the bigger tank

Pretty sure you don't need a special recirc water heater, you just add a small circulating pump to the return line you have to add right by the heater, and tee it into the intake, check valves added accordingly obviously. For even more control a small temp sensor at the end of the run that can cycle the pump, or you could just put it on a timer if you don't want to run it all the time, just recirculate when you are likely to be using hot water which will save money. You don't want to use a tankless if you're circulating, they are better served with home run piping, and you just have to bleed the cold water from the line but it'll run forever once you got hot water to you, but they are designed for a higher temperature jump per flow than a regular one with a tank. I did my house with home run pex, makes it really nice because you just go to where all the piping is and valve out exactly what you want to and nothing else.

Back