Blast From The Past

Cobleskill

Treehouser

My buddy and I built this house in 1977. Living in Buffalo area and set out right after the Blizzard of 77. My buddy was in a financial pinch. I went along for the adventure. Answered an ad in the Houston Chronicle for a company called Jim Walters Homes. Your lot or our lot. Financing available. They gave us a set of plans and the location and said have at it. Out in the country on the wrong side of the tracks. Rice farming area about 20 some miles west of Houston. We made some money, but not enough. If we would have continued to build we probably could have speeded the process up enough to make pretty good money. I knew from the weather in March that I did not want to spend a summer in Houston though.

My bud got a sheet metal job. He was a union man, but not down there. He made pretty good money. I came back north. Labor rate not that great, would have to rent a place, and the summer sucked.

They loved the job we did building the house for a couple young punks. They encouraged us to stay on. Still looks straight. Ah to be young again.

Back