The Snowplowing Thread

• Thread starter The Branch Doctor
  • Start date
  • Replies 266
  • Views 19K
That's funny. It goes the same way here, after a big snow year everyone runs out and buys plow equipment and then after a year or two of nearly no snow it's all up for sale cheap. Lol.

Well its an awful snow year here, and I am buying a plow! Ended up getting the boss V for $3250. Go to Denver to pick it up tomorrow. My truck's life is about to get a lot harder, but thats why I have it. I appreciate everyone's input on the plowing thing. Now hopefully it snows and I can get to work.

Tomorrow I'm heading to Denver to pull the plow off of the sellers truck and hopefully put it right on mine. Wish me luck. Is the installation of a plow very intense? I consider myself to be pretty mechanically adept. Any pointers?

So far I have been told to bring at least a cheater bar and some pb blaster incase the truckside mount is rusted in place. I'm also planning on bringing a grinder incase the bolts are too rusted. Alos plenty of antiseize to put on the bolts going back on to keep them from seizing up. Lastly I'm planning on bring some wire strippers for the electrical side. Hopefully I can just pull the entire wiring assembly from his truck and put it right on mine since we have the same trucks.

You might end up wishing you had a torch.

I wish you well I have heard the Western mounts atleast are a bastard to do on those years.. I've never done one although a friend of mine is a Western dealer and I have a '03 f-350 that I've quizzed him about the install.

Best of luck in your plowing, don't go cheap!

Thanks for the well wishes Squish! I am actually getting a Boss Plow and hopefully it isn't too hard to take off, since we don't use salt here, only scoria. I also think this plow is pretty new.

If the seller will, have him spray all the bolts on the frame mounts with PB Blaster or Seafoam tonight. Ten minutes with that stuff works good, 24 hours id a dream.

Good idea, but the seller said he has a bum leg and can't crawl under the vehicle. Hopefully it shouldn't be too bad. We don't use salt here, only scoria. At least thats how it is here in Steamboat, hopefully the same in Denver.

Some areas have had so much snow this year, that they have had to close skiing places, can't keep up with proper grooming, etc. One fellow died last week in a avalanche at a slope. Supposed to peak in a few days and the worst is over for this winter, so is being predicted.

Brendon, I got the plow used and the person who installed the plow on the sellers truck welded that part of the mount to the frame:|: So there were no bolts with the extensions. But I did get a thing that fishes the bolt to the hole back there, but the bolt would still spin without the part welded to it.

gotchya!

Those v plows sure are popular up here. Never used one myself, but can see where they can out perform a straight blade. have fun!

Back