The History Channel; Ax Men

Ha I used to set a block and three guy lines by myself in one climb. I'd attach two guylines to my belt and tie the block to one end of the rope and the third guyline to the other end of the rope. Everything coiled up neat and tidy. One man, one climb everything up by myself. I'm guessing he set a little pulley and had the block pulled up? Or did he do it himself?

I'd hand over hand the rope up between my legs and get that block up there, hold it on my lap/legs and get the strap done up.

Heh I was one hell of a highleader no doubt about it man. And I never got hurt at work not once. Which just proves my point of how damn lucky I am.:D

You see the carriage running up and down that skyline. I've flown the carriage countless times, I've even held on to two looped chokers before and supermanned my way up the hill. Now I bet you're not gonna see that on this show. I was a wildman.:lol:

Squashie, no sign of the show here that I can discern..

Superman up the slope? damn jesus that I would like to crazy beeotch! :D

That was a one time affair but I'll never forget it. I worked with one yarder crew for nearly five years you build some trust when you've got a tight knit crew. Normally I'd choker a piece of slash with two chokers and stand on it so that I could still use the talkie tooter while riding, the superman affair was in plain view of a engineer(yarderman) who obviously I trusted my life with. I said you won't be seeing it on this show as atleast up here riding the carriage is a big no no for WCB. I mean you can pull 2-3tonne turns on that carriage all day but you're not allowed to ride it up empty :roll:.

Lol I know it's getting me all fired up for some logging. ALmoST enough to consider going back out and doing some.
:lol:

This weeks episode seemed like one big OSHA violation from beginning to end, but maybe I'm just a big pussy.

I particualarly enjoyed the one handed dude wailing away at the wedges in the back-cut with his home made prosthesis.

Yeah, on an old Sherman tank chasis.
That damned thing didn't have near enough track under it for the weight.Then too smooth track,about like a racing slick in that mud,worthless.

Most likely they built that rig because it was cheaper than buying a new one or they didn't make commercialy build yarders when it was fabricated heaven knows when.

Those old Shermans sat by the thousands at the very place the M1 Abrams is built today.Then the gov just sold them off in the late 60's early 70's .

I imagine they changed the engine in that homemade contraption because a Ford gas tank engine could suck down about 40 gallons of gas per hour .

I sure wish we as arborists had a real small light weight carriage that we could use in our roping jobs.
Maybe weighing in a 5 lbs or so, mechanical instead of engine powered

If I recall correctly somebody had a picture of a carriage set up between two trees in an older version of the TH. It was engenious to say the least.

I imagine they changed the engine in that homemade contraption because a Ford gas tank engine could suck down about 40 gallons of gas per hour .[/QUOTE] along this line, al. did you know that some of the later tanks had a all aluminum hemi ford engine in them??? yup, i read of them, but never seen one. till last year, at a steam show in minnesnowta. walked up to the tractor, a puller, and said to friend--what in h%^is that???????? had two hair dryers, in a blow thru configuration. like the 79 4 cyl mustang. then on the front of the engine--a tag. said ford!!!!!!!!!!!!! BINGO--friend took alot of pictures of it. then i read about a month later--that engine went from drawing board to running---in THREE months!!!! tank crews loved em!!!!!!!!!!! said they would haul!!!!!!!!! dual overhead cams!!!! kinda predates the 427 sohc, huh??? that tractor has been donated to that steam show grounds----still runs also-------

I don't remember the exact cubic inchs on the Ford tank engine but it was large,overhead cam too. That was in the late 30's. Some had Pratt and Whitney radials but the best had Cat diesels . Not too many of those were made though.

Very ill equiped with a 70 mm gun[I think] in comparrison to the German Panzers. Some that saw action in the Pacific were equipted with a 105 howitzer. Those could do some damage.

You used to see salvaged ones doing all kinds of stuff. They mounted booms on them and used them for mobile cranes etc. I saw one once cruising right down the road in Norfolk,minus the turret. It belonged to some construction company. Heaven only knows what they used it for. For their size the tracks were not very wide thus lousey floatation . It isn't any wonder that guy got mired in the mud up on the hill in the show.

About 17-18 years ago the tank plant in Lima restored an old Sherman which is now housed in the local museum and gets out about once a year to run in a parade or two.The gasoline engine was rebuilt where I work.

Oddly the way it turned out the group from the tank plant that restored the old thing retired and now have a welding shop which is where I bought my Bridgeport milling machine.

If I recall correctly somebody had a picture of a carriage set up between two trees in an older version of the TH. It was engenious to say the least.

I will see if I have the pix. Did a job a while back with this, but it was slow and cumbersome

Seems like a tracklayer undercarriage would have been a more practical choice.
They most likely cobbled that tank thing together because it was cheap.

When I worked at BLH they made a tramway contraption that went on a crawler crane base.I think it was used for a cableway thing for quarry stone removal on water filled gravel pits etc.I never saw one of that model in operation.

Last edited:
From the shorts of that series I've seen that yarder is a 171 Madil.They came out with a Cat 425HP engine and were built on M60 Tank Track gear.I worked with one for a couple of years in my Teens.They have a 75foot pole and four tie backs,usually used at a sky line yarder.We did some high leading,scab lining and shot gunning with it was well.

Well,an M 60 undercarriage and a Sherman is like compairing a Mack truck to a Honda Civic.Not trying to be a smart arse just an observation because I've seen both of them.;)

Back