The History Channel; Ax Men

and on occasion a block can come apart slinging hot iron around. didnt know about the blankets, that does make sence. we had to keep fire tools down there but there was rarely anyone down there to use them anyway:dur:

It seemed like the stupidest idea I'd ever heard of too. I always figured if something did light up that the frigging piss can would be engulfed long before anyone would make it to it?

Being in the flat land I've never seen a high line set up.I have seen cable lines for quarry work though.They use two long lines which they can position the bucket with. From what I could determine from that show it looks like they work about the same way.

Another thing that popped in my mind from that show was the size they use down too.That explains how every so often you get 2 by 4's that have bark on all 4 corners .:( Of course I'm a fuss budget and don't accept them like like.If I'm going to pay the price for lumber it won't be barky.

Yeah they're cutting pretty small stuff these days. I worked on a job recently where the instructions were to harvest everything "of marketable size." It turns out that means 4" and bigger. I don't what you get out of a 4" diameter tree - maybe 1x1 trim?

For decades all we did was burn chips in big beehive burners to get rid of them, now they burn them in cogen plants to make electricity.

Yeah they're cutting pretty small stuff these days. I worked on a job recently where the instructions were to harvest everything "of marketable size." It turns out that means 4" and bigger. I don't what you get out of a 4" diameter tree - maybe 1x1 trim?

Curly que 2"x2"'s :(.

Hey, thanks, Chris. I wont have the chance to watch Axe-men till it comes out on dvd. Though I have listened to a lot of reviews from a few fellow woods workers,,, who say it's a spin off the Deadliest Catch series. On that note I might just watch some of their vhs recordings of the show.

I liked the show.

Learning about a Yoader and Yarder... seeing how its done... and how friggin' miserable the weather and terrain is.

Yea, got the terrain here in the Rockies, but not enough trees nor the desire to go haul said trees out of them hills. Spooky shit, when those logs go flying down the hills.

I'll take my firewood cutting and enjoy the hell out of that...

The reason I asked about the fire danger was when my Dad worked for a turfgrass farm they had 2-way radios that went off of a mountain top repeater. When it was really hot in the summer time some loggers from Oregon would come on the radio so we could hear them talking and I remember a couple of times they were getting shut down because of fire danger. A couple of times we could hear the conversation between the helicopter pilot and the guys on the ground. Close as I have ever been to loggin.

I liked the show but was frustrated at how they fill up the time with endless repetition of each and every event.
Almost like they are playing to a moron who cant remember one moment to the next..
But then again, most stuff on the boob tube is like that

Just a new kid on the chopping block

:big-hang-loose:Hola! I am an Arborist in Colorado, newbie to climbing (mostly bucket work), and to the house. I watched this show, now I am hooked! I feel like my jobs are toothpick removals now! When will the drama stop on Axe Men, and the technical side show up?:big-hang-loose:

I think that is the way that most of us tree workers and loggers feel, but we have to remember that this show was made for idiot Americans who get their thrills from reality shows.

If they were to make the show for the real men and women, who work in the woods and trees, than their ratings would be incredibly low.

My favorite part of the show is the technical side too, and I hope that they start to show more of it.

Have a look on the history chanel web site Gerry, there is a video clip at the top of the page.

I checked it out, or Terri did for me. Cool. Even if you don't have cable you're not left out totally. So long as you have broadband internet.

Cool
Actually I have a special card in this one 'puter so that I basically can turn it into another TV if I wanted to. I really haven't used it too often,kind of silly when you have 4 other TV sets .

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
They have the claw hand guy and his son chopping wood on the Today Show at the moment.

Boring.

A reality show about us tree tramps would be really good, but not like that Noose guy is doing it. Did I say his name right? No matter, there's enough real thrills and danger in this business that you don't have to build up hype and keep flashing repeat scenes to carry a program.

Too bad it always comes down to that. The people doing the shows lack good technical advisors, or they just don't listen to them.

Back