The History Channel; Ax Men

It just now came on!

'ol melvin is attempting to 'pull' a quarter millon in doug fir.

Green Gold :big-dance2:

Well now that does bring up an interesting question .Just how would a person keep a hold of a tree on a slope ? I'm a flat lander and what we call hills most likely is nothing compaired to the PNW .

Al you try to pick your 'roads' and 'settings' to take advantage of any natural lays of the land but more often than not you get screwed sooner or later as yarder country is steep country. Sometimes the yarder would just have to hold them until a forwarding machine could grab them, also we used a 'log brake'. It was like a fifteen foot long(wide) cylinder that had teeth on it so when you lay the logs down on it it would help to hold them, that thing was a pita to set up though and more often than not even chained in place it would end up getting messed up or be ineffective. Ha even had one get loose once and start down the hill it was so damn steep.

And damn I wish I had some tv tonight let me tell ya! I would love to see this show. Oh well the bad with the good I suppose. How are the ads?:P

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
It was interesting, no real climbing to speak of. Perhaps a later episode?

I learned the difference between a yarder and a yoader! :beer:

Axmen

Watched the season premeir tonite. Pretty cool but not quite what I thought it would be coming from history channel. Thought it would be a little more like the fishing or ice road truckers. A little more info on the 'tools' used. Sure i know its chainsaws, yarders, loaders, etc.

What size saws are they using? I noticed a couple guys toting stihl w/ a monster bar....details anyone?

Im definetly going to keep watching..infact, ive got it saved on the dvr to record each week.

Yeah tonight was just the first night. Give 'em time to show the nuts and bolts of it all.

I thought I spied an 038 in there, but kinda doubt it. Couple of 660's fer sure.

Yeah tonight was just the first night. Give 'em time to show the nuts and bolts of it all.

I thought I spied an 038 in there, but kinda doubt it. Couple of 660's fer sure.

and some 385xp:s :)
not that I'm brand loyal at all ,,,,,,
can't wait for this show to air in Sweden !!!!!!!!!!

Our logging reminds more of thinning compared to this :lol:

Squisher asked about the ads,,,,Im surprised there werent any for stihl or husky, being it a logging show. There again, maybe theyll start up w/ future shows.

I tried getting on the post show 'live chat'...put up a couple of questions, waited about 20 minutes, neither got posted so I left. It was pretty interesting reading what that dude had to say. Kindof confusing too though about how and who pays, gets the bidding, etc.

It certainly opened my eyes to the methods involved.What a tangled up mess those men had to work in,my my.

Now I understand the long bar deal. Working that mess of blowdowns and snarled up trees you would need a long bar just to reach the work .

I was kind of surprised though because most of those pecker poles were about the size of the stuff they cut in the Carolina's. I realize of course that episode only covered one portion of the logging in that area .

I'm a little confused about the supposed time limitations involved in clearing the cut areas.If they are getting paid by the board feet what should make a difference if they did it in 60 days or 6 months .:?

Well it certainly is a different ball game on the far coast,the rules change for sure .

Could be lots of things, I don't know about down there but up here you usually have a quota from a mill(or hope to) so if it's the same they would know what sorta time frame they gotta produce so much in. Don't meet your quota, lose your quota. Also most loggers are paid as the wood hits the mill/sort so they could also know what they need to do to keep things rolling. Again I don't know if it's the same down there.

Lots of things like Squish said. You get a price from the mill if you get the wood on the ground in X time. That equipment needs to be on to the next job pronto,And some agencies require that cutting, yarding, etc be done in a given amount of time. Plus it aint no love show, balls out get it on the ground, yarded out, loaded on the trucks and of to be scaled.

Ha I miss logging when it's friday, the weathers nice, there's no bugs, and you got a fat ole pumpkin patch at the end of a long road. :D

Hell yah, we log year round except for spring break up when the roads get to unstable to haul, even then depending where you are you might get some time in. We went to fire hours sometimes in the summer or when it's ridiculously hot and dry sometimes people get shut down, never on a crew I was on though. When you're downhill yarding though up here you're required to have a piss can at each of the haulback blocks(fire season only), sucks carting them around a steep hillside. Piss can on your back and a tommy morr with a big strap in your hands, good times.

piss can = backpack can full of water with a pump nozzle type dealio, picture a really big backpack squirt gun.

Tommy morr(sp?) = a big ass rigging block(compared to arb blocks)

Strap = a strap for the rigging block made of big ass heavy wire rope

The Tommy More block has an exceptional wide opening for allowing spliced eyes and shackles to pass through.

Down here we also have to lay fireproof blankets around the tailhold for 20 feet around the block. Because when the mainline splices are pulled through at high speed sparks be flying. Some big machines can pull in 20 feet a second under load. Freewheeling, much faster.

Back