SRT

I hear ya but i'm trying to get some srt going with the Zig zag.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Then this would be your simplest solution. No questions, it will work.

You should be able to get the RW working though.

You should try the ZZ alone on the rope, nothing added to it.

My first experiment was with an access rope, 10 mm, hard lay. Not good, it grabs but gives a very jerky release. So I put it aside and even gave some bad mouthing about it at some moment.
Not very long ago, I wanted to try again, but this time with my new climbing rope/ long lanyard, Xperience by Edelrid, a 16 strands, almost 1/2". The ZZ was intended to be dedicated to it, ddrt mode, but that got some delay because the rope waited a splice since a looong time. It was ready when I polished some improvements in my technique, blocking down a spar, tying on a down sloping limb and fighting the rope's tail stuck under the limbs for examples. Having the possibility to convert the ddrt to srt on the fly was a sweet answer for this three points, nicely allowed by both the HH and the Akimbo. But that was only for the main rope. I found that if the secondary rope could do the same, that should multiply the possibilities. Let's try the ZZ in srt, as is, to avoid messing with some other gear in the tree. So... to my great surprise, it worked fine, smooth release, good control, even with just one hand. To go up, my neck lace holds the ZZ by the ddrt hole, with the same setting than the Akimbo, so I can switch as I want. So cool.

I'm a slow moving guy, so I can't guess what the "nearly free fall guys" would find about it (heat release ?), but so far I'm very pleased.

You should try the ZZ alone on the rope, nothing added to it.

During the process of monkeying around with it, I tried that. With ZZ alone, the rope slipped some thru it from my body weight.

Dave, yes I could try that but I'm determined to try the RW. I think I'll be good once I receive the double eye stiff tether

I tried a RW the other day for the first time...yeah, not bad. You would certainly get very comfortable with it quite easily if it is your first SRT device...
I have my HH set up just so for me, and been on it for years so it would take a little more to get really comfy with the RW but it could happen...for sure.

This gent, while a bit wordy, lays it all out plain as day re ZZ/RW/Chicane. I'm stoked to obtain the double eye tether.

I'm a rank srt noobie but already starting to eyeball trees a bit differently, in anticipation

Homemade Rope Wrench made from a CMI Glide pulley, I think model RP140. Move the sheave to an upper side hole and a Slic pin in the opposite side lower hole. I had an extra Rope Runner pin, but a real Rope Wrench pin is shorter and nicer looking.
Should be doable with the TriTie or Micky Mouse pulley, or the purple micro pulley from them. 428B0B07-C15D-4051-954C-8CF94C66D06E.jpeg

Reactions: DMc
Nice pics!

Anyone here tight with Paul Cox? If so maybe reach out and invite him to revisit TH, I think he had a problem with MB near the end. Or does he also hate treestuff. Be great to read him again.

Alrighty then. Did I tell you I hate sideways pics?

Got the tether, it works well.

I feel in the dark re canopy anchors, I'd be more comfortable with a simple running bowline at the TIP. But I tried this one, used the Quickie, and wound down around the trunk to see about retrieval. Um yep, it was real hard to pull out.

Anyway, the unchanging friction at the hitch was much appreciated.

As I try to get comfortable with this new climbing system, it amazes me that KB worked this all out on his own because it's something that isn't the least bit intuitive to me, there's is loads of SRT stuff online to prevent the need to solve any of the basic issues and yet, it's still a challenge to me. :|:

I suppose Treestuff will send out emails when the RR pro is available, afaik there is no preordering.

@cory, a friction saver, alpine butterfly, and a crab for safety. Almost frictionless on retrieval, and I'm sure you already have it. Also don't ignore a basal anchor, very easy and will often work quite well.

Thanks, yeah I'm going to try that with the FS.

Basal anchors, I use them when Wraptoring up and then untie and do the Ddrt work. A little sketched out about leaving it tied down there during cutting operations.

That sounds like a simple solution. Um how do you normally get it there

Back