Srt rope recommendations?

Benjo75

Treehouser
I'm needing another rope. My 150 ft aren't cutting it anymore and need at least a 200 ft. I've been climbing on Lava Surge and Samson Vortex. I like the fatter feel of the Vortex but the Rope Wrench slides through the smaller Lava line better. I'm mainly climbing on the Rope Runner Pro lately so I'd like a rope that lends it's to the Rrp best. Any recommendations?

I'm used to the bounce that these ropes have but I might like to try a little more static line.

XStatic and HyperClimb here.
HyperClimb is nice, and really a pretty fair price at Wesspur.

Samson Tangent 11.8. Has the same great feel as Vortex12.7mm but is a bunch lighter and the color is fantastic. Seems to work well with both the RRP and Akimbo.

teufelberger xstatic 11.7 mm. I had a single 200ft which became 70 ish and 120 ish pieces after an unfortunate encounter with a saw. I enjoyed that rope a lot. A rope I enjoy is the Yale Scandere 11.7mm. It is bright yellow with waht could be seen as grey reflectors. I like its its high visibility. All these opinions are based on using a rope wrench and a bee line tether. I used them with a zigzag on a moving rope system/ddRT and they were fine ropes as well.

I've been liking blue moon lately. Had poison hi-vee before (same rope in green) that I liked, but took forever to break in. The green always had a slippery feel to it. I also recently ended up with a 120/80 foot split out of a 200 footer :(

I agree with Brock. It's 11.7 mm, so not as skinny as some recommendations, but for me, I like the grip of the larger diameter.

Now if you want to get into something that is extremely low stretch, and lighter than any other life support line I know of... Sterling HTP 10mm static. I had a full spool, 600 feet, for SRT in the biggest bad PNW conifers. It weighed only 32 pounds...600 feet!

I don't know how it would work with the work positioning SRT mechanicals out there today...I was using it with my somewhat modified Sherrill Tree Frog SRT package.
(2) B's version of Sherrill's Tree Frog | The Tree House (masterblasterhome.com)

But that sure was a nice piece of rope. I'd try it with these newer systems...if I was in the game any more :).

Last edited:
I’ll bet that’s handy if you gotta haul it out in the woods. My stuff usually gets carried from the truck to a backyard, so not really concerned with weight.
My hands are starting to hurt from all the 11 and 11.7mm. I’m gonna start climbing on 1/2” Stable Braid if this shit gets worse.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I really like my 12.7 Vortex. It slows my Rope Wrench down just a bit but it does good on the Rrp. I like the bigger ropes. Easier on the hands. I just like trying something new when I can.

Burnham, did you find that the Sterling HTP gets really stiff during use? It is a light rope!
I have a 200 ft length of it and it coils like EHS cable after being stressed.
Speaking of light, I have a 100 meter length of Mammut static rappeling line that is 9mm (measures 8.8mm!!) which I used as my access rope in Coast Redwoods.
Super light weight for 328 feet of rope. Being on the East coast it doesn't see much use these days. :^(

A question for everyone:
It seems that a lot of the newer ropes have very easily-damaged covers. The Yale Kernmaster (Safari aka Explorer) ropes I have just don't hold up. Prism, too.
What is the rope you feel has the best longevity?

Last edited:
What happened with your Prism @pigwot ?
Haven’t used it myself, but I think it’s just another color version of Poison Ivy/ Blue Moon/ Aztec/ whatever other 11.7mm Yale XTX24. I would’ve expected it to be a really durable SRT line.

The new ropes do seem to be more delicate, at least until they have some climbing time. Not sure why that is. They do get better if you are careful on the initial climbs.

HTP is far too stiff, in my opinion, to be used for a daily rope.

My HTP is like wire.

I said it in another thread, I have quite a few ropes for SRT but use them based on the task. Tall tree, short tree, snotty tree or sappy tree.

I really like my Donaghy Cougar Orange, non CE version and Samson Voyager.

I just bought this rope from the UK. Courant Squir V2. A few friends climb on it and have been raving about it here, the UK and in Germany. Just waiting for a nice day to try it out.

The Courant is very low stretch, which whatever flavour of rope you choose, should be one of the main purchasing factors.

My only issue with blaze is the cover seems to milk more than any other rope I've seen. I still remember the day I heard Burnham talking about 500-600 foot ropes! In the rock climbing world no one was messing with anything longer that 60-70 meters. It blew my mind for sure...
Burnham, your 10mm htp is still in good shape, hasn't been used nearly enough. I bet it would work fine with the top bar adjusted on the rope runner. I'll give it a try, and report back. I can tell you the 10mm htp doen't like the petzl rig very much.

We'll look forward to your report, Brock.

I hope you and yours are all fairing well...or as well as can be expected anyway, these days.

if you have the original runner you can switch around the bollard on the lever. this makes it run better on skinny ropes and you dont have to adjust the top bollard so much. working on a alternate body for the rrp to accomplish the same.

Prism got a couple picks; but in all fairness I can’t really say how it happened. My favorite all around rope is the Poison Hi-Vee though I believe I heard someone else is making it now. Is that correct?

Samson is making the 11.7 Ivy lines for Sherrill now. Silver Ivy, Tango Ivy, probably more. This is the same stuff as HyperClimb that Wesspur is selling, just different colors.
Poison Ivy and Poison Hi-Vee were SherrillTree exclusive colors, but can still get Blue Moon or other colors of Yale 11.7 XTC24. All the same stuff so long as it’s not the weird CE rated stuff from Europe. Or they’re supposed to be the same, a couple people say the different colors perform different.

Back