SRT

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Got to love those certification programs, LOL.

Wow, really cool background there, thanks for sharing!

So the srt- toss-rope-over-building-thing, the 2 guys would counterbalance each other/ no tying off the rope? Crazy!!

Ive heard of that in rock climbing, 2 guys simul-rappeling off of one rope hanging with it's approximate mid point on an anchored biner. But it killed noted climber Brad Gobright recently when he inadvertently rapped off his end of the rope, fell and died. His partner fell too of course when Brad's weight disappeared off the rope, but a much shorter distance and landed on a ledge and survived.
Wouldn't want to put in a don't- rappel -offa -your - rope - n- die knot. Way too much work, like it's too much work in tree work.

Yup, for want of a stopper knot
Nope, for getting into a major fight with the Danish version of the treelovers club, a couple of years before.
They just tried to railroad me, with anything they could find, but when it went international, guess who won.
So I've done all my certifications in Germany.
I speak the language fluently and they are way more professional.

I absolutely hate having stopper knot on my climbing line. Just check and make sure you have enough length to do what your doing. So simple with SRT/SRS.

In that same camp Dave. I will knot the end of my line when i see that i am on the boarder line on not having enough after that long limb walk or a at the edge of my positioning lanyard. Awareness. Why i have an assortment of rope lengths in hanks. The right length for the task at hand. Best have enough to redirect and be able to hit the ground. Stopper knots get caught on things, a dangerous situation as well in my mind.

There are only two applications where I always used a stopper knot. Neither is my climb line or rappel line...I'm with Dave and Stephen on this one.

The two apps...on my long rope lanyards (16-20 ft.), and on my 4 inch tie in self belay system when working above safe from breakout diameter small wood. The latter is about 40 feet of dynamic rope lifeline.

Reasons being, (1) both of those are often worked right out near the end of their length so the risk of running off the friction device is much higher than with a climb line, and (2) are easy enough to clear if they become hung, their ends being so relatively close to the climber's position, unlike is frequently the case with a climb line .

Last edited:
I can't remember the last time I put a stopper knot in my line...with SRT now it's so easy to see if your line is long enough to reach the ground...you do need to make sure to allow enough length to account for redirecting through the canopy so when you bail out on the other side of the tree from where you went up...you got enough line to reach the ground!

I iove this.
Being flunked by a couple of assholes after being a pro climber since 1983.
They just grabbed at what was at hand.

Then reading what some world class climbers here have to say.

Made my day, really.

Well alrighty then. My photo posting skills are on par with my SRT prowess.

Anyway, climbed the hemlock in my backyard. Was fun. Went slow out of newness and was barefoot. Going back tomorrow with a pole clip and trim back the tips up high. I still have no idea how KB says you can do ALT ascent with an SRT base tie. I did Ddrt ALT ascent and then used running bowline at TIP.

Not much to work with here but any and all input would be appreciated.

Last edited:
+ infinity. I'm an out of shape non climber, and srt makes me almost functional. Huge game changer, especially if you start getting into the redirects. ... srt allows you to easily change your tip to anywhere in space, multiple times, with the exact same friction.... I carry a handled ascender with a revolver if i ever feel the need to have ma to come back from a limb walk, even easier than ddrt. Add an extra long double end lanyard and a throwing hook and it's insane.

Lol non climber.

Your redirects, do you tend to do natural redirects or more with via a biner and webbing loop. And then after you are done with your work off of the redi, you gotta climb back up to it and disconnect the biner etc, right?

The handled ascender and revolver sounds quite simple, that is nice. And the throwing hook, is that for grabbing a far out there redirect? Thanks

Cory, look at rigging that tether so it doesnt flop with the carabiner. A split tether and a shackle works. Or if you have a very small carabiner. . It is much more efficient if there is no flop in there.

I'll check that out tomorrow, but I didn't notice any flop, maybe cuz the rubber insert in the ZZ was keeping the biner upright?

After you take up slack in the system, then you gotta manually flip the RW up into its active position right? Or maybe a stiff tether does that automatically although doing it by hand seems easy.

Cory, you are definitely going to have a better experience if you can, either make that tether stiff or get one that is. On a stiff tether you can place a rubber grommet below the RW so it will keep it in a position where it will always grab, automatically.

SRT is all about redirects and how easy they are. You can place your rope over a limb, use a strap, or just tie a knot. There are many ways to get the rope back without climbing back up to get it. Search for videos on them.

As quickly as you can, set up a knee ascender, and get a foot ascender. SRT is no fun when you are having your arms do all the work.

Thanks, Dave. Lets keep it simple, which knee and foot ascender should I get.

Jonny, I have that left tether in your pic, it seemed kinda long perhaps cuz I'm using a ZZ which is fairly short, so I used that bit of accessory cord with girth hitches on each end.

Foot ascender is easy, CT is what you want. I use the HAAS Velox for my knee ascender, but the SAKA mini is a good choice at a better price. I also don't like foot loops because they can cause a loss of traction at the most inopportune times, so I wear Arb Pro clip-in-steps. Your best bet will still likely be a foot loop though.

That tether comes in 10” or 12” I think. Both mine are 10”.
I’ve heard wonderful things about the SAKA MiniMax. Foot ascenders I have are an old (2003) Petzl Pantin, a Camp TurboFoot, and 2 left foot Climbing Technology and I can’t say I dislike any of them. The old Petzl is my favorite. At first I hated the how the rope would pop out of it, but it was an error in my technique, and now I love being able to take the rope out of it with a little kick. The Camp is similar too, but the CTs I gotta use my hand to unlock it. Thinking about grinding off that rivet on the CT. I don’t need it to lock.
033F7153-20FC-4367-8DA8-645CF5431007.jpeg

I'm in this with you, Cory. I just ordered the SAKA Mini-MaxV2 from Ropenrescue.

Wesspur and most other places are out of stock. Climbing Innovations has best price but he is "too involved in legal maters (sic)" to make any more.

I already have a Petzl Pantin right foot ascender and a chest harness (made by one of our TreeHouse guys...can't remember his name...very lightweight, well made) In theory I think I'll be set.

Back