Srt rope recommendations?

mechanicals hate HTP. the one rope I recommend against.

OK, now we need to dissect what is a mechanical.

I know that I'm among the older crowd here. When I started climbing, SRT in tree work was a foreign language.

Today we are blessed with what climbers of my generation consider the "new" hybrid work positioning SRT devices. More than a few of them. And I love the heck out of what they give us climbers in function and utility.

But one doesn't have to look too far back at tree climber tech development to see what I'm going to address.

Not so very long ago, "mechanicals" as Kevin terms them, gave us relatively low effort, physically economical ways to ascend really tall trees. You had to change over to a moving DRT system once you got up there in the canopy, say 150 or 200 feet..or more, before advancing your tie in and going up into the really high tops.

Bottom line...Sterling SRT 10mm was about the very best rope on the planet then, for that sort of work. Here's what I was using as an ascent system back then...
B's version of Sherrill's Tree Frog | The Tree House (masterblasterhome.com)

And to descend, you'd change over to something like these...
Another descender for your contemplation | The Tree House (masterblasterhome.com)

Clearly, these are mechanicals. And I'll attest that they were magnificent on 10mm HTP.

So there, Kevin...don't wear newbie blinders :P.

All respect, my friend. Just getting in an old man's tweak. :D

Last edited:
I have another thought to put in play here, regarding Sterling HTP as a suitable SRT line for "mechanicals"...I would be greatly surprised that given some trial with the hitch component, that it would not be possible to use my first gen HitchHiker (from Paul's genius mind) on 10mm HTP.

Never did, myself...retirement seemed like a lot more fun, just as all these technologies where coming to fruition :D.

Anyone have thoughts, or even reports on a try at it?

Yes, HTP works great with the HH and HH2, Burnham. If you need a light weight, low bounce rope, HTP has that covered.

For me, it doesn't make the grade as a day-to-day climbing line simply because it is so bad at holding knots. Knot-ability is one of the attributes most important to me when picking a work rope.

Well with the feedback straight from the source (thanks Kevin) maybe I'll save my time on my htp test.
The best part about Burham's early rope walking systems was he could get them adjusted and working perfectly on anyone from massive dudes to tiny women (and massive women and tiny dudes :)). Today's setups definitely don't require as much fine tuning to get things working well.

Thanks, Brock. I always found great reward in helping the young climbers, and plenty of old ones too, find that sweet spot that would convince them that this strange new system was worth learning about and using. Fine times, and the best part of my USFS career without a doubt.

Last edited:
Back