SRT

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I remember.

Yo, that is news to me that you can punch a small biner thru a rope like that?!?

It helps if you make a hole first. A hot nail of the right size does that trick.

This is for keeping the down-strand away from the cutting area.
This is my second bridge ring, which was pulled down from my HH carabiner's bridge ring. You see the taut down-strand on the left, and slack standing end, below the HH, which is out of frame, above.

IMG_20200626_113403421.jpg

This was set from the ground, for demo purposes.

I have a long-tailed running Bowline, which, with a good amount of slack, I was able to "Western roll" up the trunk, then cinch up high, counter-pressuring the rb tail and the climbing side of the rope.

IMG_20200626_143135566.jpg

IMG_20200626_143135566.jpg

IMG_20200626_143215524.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20200626_150436032.jpg
    IMG_20200626_150436032.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
I base tie 98% of the time, on some tree forums this makes me baaaddd, but idga you know what...
Before I finalize it I sometimes pull a throw line weight up on the other side of the throw line to make sure I thread my line down close to the tree, or at least so it's not away out in never never land somewhere...but depends on the job and the tree.
I'm always make sure there are a couple of good branches below the TIP and give it a really good bounce test before heading up.
Graeme McMahon style tie off...twice round the bottom and two half hitches with a thumb knot finish. Done

Because there is a chance of the down leg being severed leaving the climber in a dilemma. It could be yourself cutting the line, an over zealous ground guy or from impact with another part of the tree in a rigging scenario. Most scenarios will end in danger to the climber.

Moral of the story, always know the down route of you anchor leg to prevent accidental cutting. Tell your ground guys you will shoot them/ beat the snot outta them if they put a saw any where near your anchor. Be careful rigging and if you are in danger of the rigged piece damaging your line, maybe try a canopy anchor or another backup.

As long as you are aware of the scenarios then they are very safe. I climb on a base anchor probably 75% of the time.

I don't know what goes on in a commercial setting, but it seems like people just need to be careful. If they aren't they need to go since care is essential in this line of work. With decent people, I wouldn't feel unsafe with a basal tie. Rigging would concern me more since it may not always be easy to see the exact path of the line. Couldn't you untie the bottom, bring the rope up, canopy anchor for the work, then drt exit the tree?

Yes you could, but you could also just pull some slack through and tie a canopy anchor and the down leg won't have any tension on it... more importantly you won't start your descent earlier than expect if the line gets cut.

Secondly if your ground guy is a dumbo and likely to cut the rope, then chances are they would also have trouble undoing a knot. Pulling a bit of slack though means you down have to rely on the ground guy to untie.

Why do some people think base tying is bad?

For the same reason that the world is in turmoil. Fear based on a partial understanding. Not being able to recognize the entirety of the situation so they focus on the negatives, and an unwillingness to change based on historical norms.

It is a basic human condition.

@DMc Dave do you only work with Silvia?

Base-ties can be compromised by a log hitting the trunk, mid tree or base. Don't drop logs on your rope.

Yes, Sean, just Sylvia. But, i have never had any trouble with maintaining control of my work zone. It is amazing how fast a branch can hit a grounds person doing something stupid.

If any of you are truly working in situations that you can't control, you need to think beyond just protecting your base tie.

Log hitting the trunk? Are you in control or are you not?

Exactly, Dave.

I never climbed SRT a single time wherein my climb line was not anchored by basal tie in, either on the host tree, or on a nearby stem. Never once. Never was worried about the security of that anchor, either.

I did have the luxury of always working with really top quality people under me. That was my doing...if I didn't have full confidence in any support staff, they simply were not there. Never was that decision questioned by anyone, but if it had been, I would not have left the ground. Everyone associated with my climbing work knew that I was the final arbiter of what did and did not pass muster...and that's the way it ought to be for every climber, imo.

It's good to be the biggest fish in a small pond :D.

If you are base tied and chunking logs down...then THINK about where the logs might hit and take the appropriate action.
On a top down removal then obviously a base tie isn't the best option so choke it...duh.
A few times I have converted my base tie into a canopy tie during a climb by just putting in an alpine b'fly on the down leg and clip it into my side under a branch...do what I need to do and then either come down and pull the whole lot out or go back revert to base and carry on.
What's our often used phrase...Tools in the Toolbox.

No worries Sean!
Just my experience in a few instances according to some in the SRT world. They are crakka lakka about how baaaddd base tie is.

Reactions: DMc

Im a base tie person for the most part. But canopy anchors are also a good option. This is the best option i have found. The flint locker. Allows for a number of redirects and you can still pull it out.

Looks good, and could be simpler.

One large ring girth-hitched to the long side (standing end) and thread the short side through.

Dyneema melts relatively easily. An accidental running of a rigging rope over that could be trouble.

Super nice guy with tons of energy and fever for tree climbing... forgot his name but met him at TCIA.

If I was contract climbing I would change access base tie to work canopy tie in...

100%

Some people I saw doesn't care at all of both the ropes and what's going on over their head. Very disturbing.
I know that they often aren't here by choice (landscaper's crew), but still, I would think that someone would be attentive in an unusual task/environment.
Enthusiastic guys wielding their saw can be as worrying as the previous ones.

Back