SRT

i don't really think thats true. at least not for everyone. i often put it under the spur as well. never gaffed myself, nor has it even crossed my mind that it would be a danger. i have gaffed myself a few times doing other silly things however.

Of course it's not true for everybody, Kevin. You maybe are not as aware, as most of the rest of us are...you are one of the 1 percenters, so far as tree climbing chops go. Few of us bring even a small portion of the talent to this work that you do. You are a world class treeman, no doubt about it.

I doubt I'd ever gaff myself on SRT with spurs either, and I'm nowhere close to your level of skill, except perhaps at spur climbing big, tall conifers:D. A rather small niche. But I am aware of the hazards, beyond most, I think. And been climbing SRT before many climbers working today were born.

So it is my humble opinion, having trained and worked with literally hundreds of tree climbers over more than 3 decades...that you and I are rare birds. We share this space here with more than a few equally rare birds. But far more are not flying at this level.

I think SRT with spurs on is a recipe for injury for 9 out of 10 climbers. I doubt anyone will die. But if you have ever seen a serious gaff wound, you will shy from any chance of it, I promise you.

Last edited:
This is an older post but I am interested in what you are saying. Unfortunately, paragraph 2 is clear as mud to me. Maybe it can't be made clearer by words alone

As you start climbing srt, you will notice that you will physically be climbing differently, that's about it, by itself it really isn't a major game changer. However when you start working a tree differently by using redirects is when you it kinda clicks. You will likely first notice it when you have to have you climbline up against a limb which would normally be annoying, but it's not as bad because the friction that you see is the same. Then you will climb to a higher and different point in the tree, shove you climbing system through the crotch, and enjoy a different tie in point in a hurry.

However, before when climbing doubled line you would have just pulled your line out and reset it there, so really no gain. But with srt if you are paying attention to your line angles, you can redirect in crotches and on limbs that could never be trusted to actually hold your weight, so now you can move your tie in point even higher and farther out, giving you better line angles and identical friction. So now we're getting somewhere.

But what about getting way out there on some dicey stuff, possibly hacked apart by an idiot in a lift in the past or other damage? Once again, srt is gonna shine. You can make a remotely setable and retrievable redirect from a different climbing system, such as another rope (or tail of your rope) or say 1 end of a really long double lanyard. By choosing a crotch above and farther out, even one that can't actually hold your full weight, you can toss your rope with a carb and a weight thru, and get it back to you.

Then you clip that on your climb line, weight and all (for future retrieval). Then you can either secure the hitch end to your harness, or even simply clip it to the tree trunk using a quick knot or sling. By pulling the redirect line, you pull your climbing line over towards the redirect crotch, improving your line angles, all while being tied in and even weight in the system. Now you have a redirect, floating in between any point from your original tie in to the redirect, and you didn't have to get out there to set or retrive it. You can adjust it on the fly if it's on your harness, or if it's anchored to the limb you can enjoy the now guyed and stiffened limb to work on and your new tip. Think of it like you simply double crouched, but rather clipped the spliced end to your climb line to simply move where your tip is in space. When you are done, the throw weight will help you flick it down the line back to you.

Screenshot_20201130-215902_Samsung Notes.jpg

I love regular simple redirects, but this is the one that really can make a day in spreading tree much easier. Lawrence Shultz invented it and called it there transferlizer or something, and it's on his schultz effect climbing series. I have purchased this climbing series, and if you really want to cut the learning curve down and make your life easier, i very very strongly recommend it. He goes into all sorts of different stuff, from spar work, ascent, double line, srt setups, and redirects galore. Here's a preview. It's over 50 gigs of training video.

I like the Schultz Effect. It was way over my head when I first got it 4 years ago. Didn't really get anything from it. As I started SRT I found myself going back and re watching it. I will never utilize all it has.

Quickies... Great for a base tie with an Alpine Butterfly.
Top tie with Alpine Butterfly. The pin will roll so it decreases friction when pulling the line up or down. Not as good as a pulley but definitely better than rope on rope.
I used to climb SRT then swap to Ddrt to work the tree. It's great for setting a top tie then swapping to Ddrt without having to unclip anything.
It's heavier than a biner and I'll put it on my climbline for throwing higher when advancing tip in the canopy. Make sure your helmet is on first.
I consider it safer than a biner as far as accidentally opening on its own. It takes 6 distinct movements to get it open enough that a climbline can go in or out of it.
Push first tab, push pin in. Push second tab, push pin in. Push first tab again, push pin in a third time. Then the rope can move through. A triple lock biner can be opened with just a rope running across the gate at just the right angle.

Thanks for all your time and effort there. The good news is I think I get it. The bad news is we finally found something you aren't good at: penmanship :lol:

09 and Ben- Good info re Lawrence, I may invest.

Not telling us anything we don't already know, my friend :).

Drawing and cleaning might well be the least of it :D.

But when you finally do kick this bastard big C to the curb, all will be forgiven.
8)

It was a good post. Taking the time to put that out is beneficial to lots of us. One of the first things you said hit home..basically that SRT would change how one climbs.

As you start climbing srt, you will notice that you will physically be climbing differently, that's about it, by itself it really isn't a major game changer.

Maybe not a game changer but a chance to re-visit and explore what climbing CAN be. I realized the other day that when I got to the many limbs of a tree I was in (SRT up the rope about 40 feet first) that I was able to climb like a 10 year old again..grab limbs, move around wherever I felt I needed. The chest harness was keeping the RRP up close and personal wherever I went...of course the rope led the way but it was a great feeling.

Years ago I was jogging/trail running along a river path in our nearby state park. As I ran I realized I had not sprinted in years...so I lit out...and realized how different it felt to take the governor off...exhilarating but very different all of a sudden. My body had to relearn what it felt like to sprint. Letting SRT free me up to climb "free" again was similar. Your comment brought those two events together for me....thanks!

No...great question though...it led me to this... a very cool, minimalist system, looks very efficient. I was prussicing the RollcipZ where I needed to get back to...the SCAM should let me have the HW come down to me. What about the possibility of the Z getting stuck between the redirect/anchor limb and the rope as it "unwinds" itself? If that happens it seems it would be risky to climb back up to the anchor point? Or maybe it would only be a drop of a foot or so if it unraveled while you were on the way back to untangle it....may be a non-issue?

I had seen the S.C.A.M redirect method when Mr FreeFalling first made this video. I was just starting recreational tree climbing and filed it away for future learning. Now I am ready to start using it. I have a question: I sometimes see pictures of redirects that look less strong than main TIP. Do any of you use weaker redirect points? I am assuming that if angle of the dangle is good that a redirect failure will result in a swing but not a fall to ground. Now what about the S.C.A.M with 3 times the rope?

Yup. As you spread your weight over more redirects, you can hang on smaller stuff, especially when the angles are right.
I usually wont go past 5 redirects. Try not to go over 4. Son of a gun to pull your line out. Thats using natural crotches.

That is the ValComm 900. They have their drawbacks, like price, weight, and lack of consistent long range clarity. But having hands-free, reliable communication is such a benefit that we use them everyday. They are always proving their worth to the point that I believe communication systems of this type will be common place in our industry in the not-too-distant future.

Dave
Dude! You had a crystal ball 12 years ago

Back