Best Resources for Learning SRT?

I have one almost identical to Sean's but made with wider flat webbing and stitched. In fact, my commercial made chest harness is very similar, but adjustable with a buckle.

My original chest harness was just like Ruels, a loop runner of the right size with a biner, then I made a stitched one out of some flat braided stuff, then got a Paul Didier one. They all worked.

Here's a picture of both the commercial product and home stitched one that I use. Had the ABC for a long time, then made the red one later, as hybrid SRT became more of a thing.

chest harness, HH keeper 001.JPG chest harness, HH keeper 002.JPG

He’s a member here, but doesn’t come around often. He’s on TreeBuzz most days. Wesspur sells Paul’s chest harness too.

Instead of getting a chest harness you could get suspenders that are there for more than just to give the hitch a ride. I like suspenders because you don't have to wear the harness belt super tight to keep the harness where you like it all day and doesn't start slipping down when you have a heavy load Or in my case towards the end of the day from what i think is me loosing water weight. I got the monkey beaver set and they seem real classy to me. They make them in two configurations one with four straps and one with three straps is the y in the back.

Just a suggestion, beside the saddle agencement : if you loose that much of water like you feel loosing weight or belly/hip size, you really really have to replenish regularely your water level during the day. You stress heavily your body by working "dry". It's no joke. Don't wait to be back at home to drink again, or worse, just count on the food to brings the water.

During the summer months i drink at least a gallon of water at work alone. Its just hot in tucson and i sweat when i work. I think that my body knows whats going to happen so it holds on to as much water as it needs to get through the day. I dont drink soda or caffeine or alcohol and eat lots of greens and fruits through out the day. I understand your concern but for my body has been working in the outdoors for at least 10 summers full time with no issues.

Get some hydration packets for some of the water you drink. Like Liquid IV or DripDrop.
They help. A couple a day. I lived in North Phoenix and Scottsdale for 10 years and did plumbing in the hot sun for most of it. I get ya about the heat.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Your diet is what helps you get through that. The national average of water an adult male should intake is 120 oz (just under a gallon). We work much harder than the average male. Glad to hear you are sustaining yourself well but let’s be honest. Some people can drink a case of beer a day and not touch a bit of water and work circles around some of us. The human body has the ability to adapt to the stressors we put it through whether that be good or bad. Crossfit athletes can train for 3-8 hours non stop, alcoholics and drug attics can eat nothing and work like monsters. I say this because I am a certified personal trainer and been training for 10 years. Glad to hear we are all being health conscious but remember your body does have the ability to go catabolic (opposite of anabolic) where your body will feed on its own tissues and organs to get the nutrients it needs. We all go through it every day to some degree. Our body can even make its own water to a degree but is very inefficient. At one point in my weight training I was drinking 3-5 gallons of water a day. Never stop asking yourself if you can be doing a little more for your body

Before i got sick there were times when 3 gallons a day was normal. I use life salt (low sodium sea salt) to mix occasionally for electrolytes. That way it doesn't have the sugar crap that Gatorade and stuff has. A bit of it isn't bad but sometimes you really need the salt and that much sugar will cramp you up worse.

Very true Kyle! Great point. There are four different electrolytes our body uses to absorb water. Our body can recycle electrolytes but once they are used or expelled through sweat we have to replenish them. My hot summer routine is to always have an electrolyte drink. Whether that be a Gatorade, Powerade, or a propel. Always have to be sugar free though. Most people don’t know that the FDA classifies cane sugar as a poison and that you should never consume more than 35 grams of naturally occurring sugar a day

On the nature of water and srt. Something else to consider as we approach the summer is to consider your method of water intake when in the tree and having a chest harness on. I’m looking at camel backs and other hydration packs and some of them would interfere with different types of chest harnesses. Worth having a couple liters up there to stay safe and climbing srt is so much easier the extra weight isn’t exhausting for the benefit

Gatorade bottle clipped to the harness. Throw or speedline down to refill, tied to the climb line to send back up refilled/ changed out. You can have multiple ones ready to go in a cooler even if you were so inclined. Whatever junk rope you got laying around works great with a constrictor knot on the middle divot thing, simple overhand loop to clip a baby biner.

Gatorade bottle clipped to the harness. Throw or speedline down to refill, tied to the climb line to send back up refilled/ changed out. You can have multiple ones ready to go in a cooler even if you were so inclined. Whatever junk rope you got laying around works great with a constrictor knot on the middle divot thing, simple overhand loop to clip a baby biner.
Secure enough to be above people?

Absolutely bomber. And the best part is that it's free, and easily replaced if broken or something.

I used a setup similar to that ww paddling. Bottle went through hell, but never came loose. I currently have a military canteen/case on my saddle. I have three of the canteens I use for work, so they're easily swapped, but I have to do it myself.

REI has aluminum bottles with a top you can put a biner on the clip to your saddle. Not exepensive. I think I bought it a few years back. Has a couple dings. You pull the rubber mouth piece up and drink push it back in to seal. Just remember it can hold wood chips. So blow or drip the wood chips. Then drink.

I used a camelbac in the Bermuda heat and humidity, no interference with the Didier chest harness.
I would fill it with 50% diluted poweraid, or just water with a squeeze of lemon and a dash of salt, then freeze the bladder the night before.
That nice cool feeling on my back, and then cool liquid to drink throughout the work.
I find having a bottle or thermos can lead to glugging and then 'Sloshy climbers tummy'.
Here in Tasmania where it takes a lot to actually break a sweat, in the low humidity and cooler temperatures I often reckon I come home dehydrated. Need to be more aware to stay on top of hydration.

If I drank 3 Gallons a day I would have a serious leg work out.

Back and forth to the toilet every 30 minutes.

I can ‘t drink that much, I drink when I feel I need it. I try to anticipate when that will be to avoid dehydration.

I did 3 months in a Muay Thai Boxing camp in North East Thailand 20 years ago. I think my body got used to low water levels. Now if I drink a glass too much, I am pissing like a race horse and feel groggy as hell.

I can’t speak for any individual persons body because we have all adapted to different things to some degree. I’m just sharing some science I’ve learned from becoming a trainer. On the nature of feeling thirsty, as soon as your mouth feels dry, that’s not a warning that you are going to be dehydrated soon but it’s a warning that you are already experiencing the beginning stages of dehydration. When water assists or is required for our body to undergo almost 99% of its functions, it’s the most important aspect. Even in weight lifting I have seen this concept true. At the point of your mouth getting dry, it’s already too late to recover from that quickly and would see strength loss in the gym. Hydration is based on the day before not the day of. Chugging water all day because your thirsty isn’t that days fault, but that started the day or night before. When I first started training seriously and was drinking so much water, I would have to pee all the time as well. But just how our body can adapt to less water, it can adapt back to the proper amount or an abundance of it and not have to go to the bathroom all the time. Or maybe that’s just what western medicine tells me and I’m screwed in 20 years 😝

You would be needing to sweat that much, if you are peeing it back out you are hydrated. It gets very humid here, and heat indexes can hit 115. Welding all day everyday in that kinda heat is hell on you, because you sweat and sweat and don't enjoy the temperature drop because it doesn't evaporate. You will change gloves and likely change out jackets after they become drenched since that's how you get shocked, and so you have something dry to soak it up rather than just swimming in it. Fans blow shielding gas away, so often no fans even. I've probably came close to drinking that much climbing, but as far as sweating goes nothing compares to welding.

Back